Any Endurance Athletes on a Pump?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
By that I mean anyone training or racing for 2 hours or more.

If so, how do you approach it on a pump?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Dave,
Im currently training for xrunner which is a 10k obstacle course, what you looking at doing? My event is in September which is fast approaching i know.... Im still fine tuning mine, so far iv found that depending on the intensity of the exercise depends how earlier I suspend my insulin I also adapt the amount going in per hour for a few days after again depending on what exercise I have done x

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Ginnie, I'm talking about things liek 3-4hour bike rides, 2-3 hour runs in training and then maybe longer in races.

Tomorrow for example I have a 40 mile running race which I'm expecting to take anywhere from 6:30 - 8 hrs depnding on a dodgy ankle.

The first race I'll be doing with the pump will be a 10k in all likelihood, so I'll just suspend for that I would think

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not pumping yet though, starting October (if the NHS can get it's act together)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I struggled with mine at first but it's so much easier I said I'd come off it after the first few months but wouldn't look back now very grateful for having it x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Dave. I'm a type 1 diabetic and keen 10k/half marathon runner. I've been on insulin pump for a few years and it makes exercise so much easier. Over the years of doing Great North Run I've adapted my race fuel preparations and each year needed less & less fuel to keep me going.

About 45mins before an event I eat either a banana or a cereal bar (9bar). I carry two packs of glucotabs throughout (roughly one each mile), sometimes accompanied with some lucozade sport and its enough to get me to my PB. I don't suspend my insulin, I just set a temporary basal of between 5 & 10%. You may need to take into account race conditions, when its a particularly hot race I take less insulin and more fuel. Sorry I don't have any experience of marathon/ultra running (yet). But check out this website and their advice from all kinds of diabetic athletes http://www.runsweet.com/DiabetesAndSport.html

Good luck