Do diabetics take longer to recovery after surgery?

Baddabing

I am having a vaginal hysterectomy soon and have looked at the recovery time which states between 2-6 weeks. However on my first consultation I was told I could possibly be off work for up to 3 months. I know diabetics take longer to heal but the difference between 6 weeks and 3 months is a lot?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I had hysterectomy 20 years ago. I was not ill prior to it being done and had good levels. Mine was done in a straight horizontal line about 5 inches below belly button.

Had it done on the Tues. Discharged on the Friday. Ward was on 4th floor. Was walking up and down to ground level as I had taken my bikini in with me by the Thursday as I wanted to sunbathe!

Many (majority) of the non diabetics were kept in over the weekend as they had a different surgeon and different reasons for the hysterectomy being done and some of them hadn't even got out of bed by the Friday. I was walking to the loo the afternoon after I came round.

I was ready to go back to work on the Monday, but wasn't allowed to. So I drove 2boys to Biurnemouth for a holiday instead. Went round a crazy golf and ended up lugging loads of stuff too.

I think alot has to do with luck to be honest and definitely wanting to do anything to get normal again.

My gp would not sign me fit for 6 weeks as he said I could not see how I was mending on the inside.

It was the best thing I ever had done. I couldn't have kids, so why go through the horrible painful periods? I was lucky that I had a fabulous surgeon and team as well.

Its difficult to determine from others how you will be, but with this hot weather.. Take in bikini and a towel to lie on!!

Loving life

Reactions: 2 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Had two lots of knee surgery since diagnosis, text book recovery both times.

Ali

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn't have very good control when I had a abdominal hysterectomy (vertical incision) not long as I was diagnosed Type 2. I was still in pain 5 months after the op when I was encouraged back to work by my boss.

I wouldn't rush it, it is a major operation, if you can afford it, take the full three months to recover, you only get one chance at it. For support and advice visit http://forums.hysterectomy-association.org.uk/

Reactions: 2 people

Drummer mum

Hi there. I had a vaginal hysterectomy back in 2006. I didn't have diabetes then ( only just been diagnosed 3 weeks ago at the age of 52!) but I was off work for12 weeks. My problem was that I did too much, too soon. I think because there are no external scars you tend to think that it's okay. Don't be fooled. You need time to recover just the same as those who have visible tummy scars.
Don't try to rush it, take your time and be gentle with yourself. Hope it goes well x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App