Type 2 diabetes and breast cancer.

Moomin333

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last November my diabetes went a bit berserk. One reading was 31.
No matter how much I tried I couldn't get down below 11.
Taking a reading before breakfast and 2 hours after my readings were anything from17 to 20. Panic is not the word. My poor gp, when I phoned her, thought there was something seriously wrong. Between us we decided to double my gliclazide. Then I found a lump in my boob. Had the op to remove it but need to have further surgery, chemo and then radio therapy. Long story short my bg is still high. My before breakfast reading is between 14 and 17 and 2 hours later can be the same. As the day progresses it come down slowly upto about 1pm then it declines quicker to 3pm when my reading is 3.5-4 and feeling very hypo. I then have something sugary, a coffee with sugar or something like that, then I have my main meal at night when my reading before dinner is about 5-6' then 2 hours after it's back upto 14-17.
Could it be my situation that's causing this or do I need to visit my gp again?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear your dealing with breast cancer. From what you've told us I would definitely go and see your Dr - it might just be the stress of your situation, but it's not normal - maybe an adjustment is meds required. Take care.

Hydie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi moomin333

I am in a similar situation to you, my surgery and chemo (steroids) both sending my diabetes out of control, stubbornly high sugars but with an afternoon/ evening slump. Are you still having trouble? If you have it under control, do you have any tips?

I am currently in hospital with neutropenia after first cycle and with time on my hands I have been doing some research, I think my high sugars are causing neutropenia. You mention a hypo, does that mean you are on insulin? As a type 1 I am now experimenting with a new approach: a large injection of long acting insulin, monitoring every 2 hours and 'grazing', with some small meals accompanied by short acting insulin. I find both short and long are affected substantially making dose adjustment really difficult, but my new approach seems to be working so far

Moomin333

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Heidi,

After my mastectomy I should have gone home the next day, however, my readings were high at 20+. The doctor wouldn't discharge me until my readings were in single figures. Thankfully the next day they were. I took my discharge letter to my GP where there was instructions for her to increase my medication and so put me on Sitagliptin. She asked me if there was anything else I'd like to try and I said yes, liraglutide, which I'd trialled some 5 years ago and was very successful. So I'm now waiting to be assessed for this drug.

The Sitagliptin is causing me to have hypo's but am catching them in time.

I start my chemo on the June 2nd so we'll see what happens then.

I'd like to hear from anyone else who has gone through chemotherapy and what their experiences are/were.
Did it mess up their type 2 diabetes for ever or did they settle back down once treatment had finished?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
Hi, I had breast cancer in the year 2004. it was traumatic, as I was surprised that this had happened. I was taken into hospital within 5 days, after a biopsy which proved that cancer was detected. I had the lump removed as I did not want a breast removed. . all went well. radiotherapy. after 5 years , they stopped the tablets. I was on my own. no problems, Have scan every year. all clear.

But then last year I was diagnosed with diabetes. That hit hard, as I was ding well. I certainly did not want that, but they say due to age. I am a T2, doing ok,eI think, I feel for anyone that has or is going thru chemo and radiotherapy. I do wish everyone well.
My diabtese is ok now when I started I was way over the top, could not reduce, my bg, and 3 monthly tests, were high, infact my doctor said if I could not get my tests down then insulin will be the next step. This was not an option, as I had gone thru cancer, and had enough of injection etc etc.
So have tried to reduce,, which it has, but it has taken over a year, to reduce my levels.I feel a lot happier now.

The ony thing is when having chemo, my veins were destroyed, They had a job finding a vein. Still the same afterall thee years, I can only give blood from my left side, unless they take it from my right hands.
My Doctor says that as I had the left side of my body . blood should only be taken from my right side . he said 10 years then they can use left side. But this does always happen as finding a vein is only visible on the left. nothing on the right.

One thing I found when having radiotherapy, I had a problem with that my left hand fingers use to go white when cold, I mentioned this to Doctor. I was sent a Dr. who scanned me and found that the small ... I think artery was no bigger then the thinkness of a needle, so was stopping the blood flowing thru. They put a stent into my neck. Hey Ho, all is well now. But every year I have my yearly check up. so far ok.
I live in France, and had brilliant service with all this,

I asked the doctor how this could happen, He said that radio therapy can be trial and error, too much and this happens, to little does not work. He said that they still have not it right yet.

Just thought that yiu need to be aware of complications. I still have breast scan and radiotherapy check up every year.#

I hope that all is well with yu moomin333, and you are coping with the chemo. best wishes. Anne

Moomin333

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All.
Thanks for all your help.
I'm done and dusted with the chemo and radiotherapy now and my hair is back.
My GP said not to worry about the high reading as when they looked at the 3 month reading during my treatment it was at 6.2 way hay. So because of the steroids it was giving false readings on my monitor.
I'm now on Victosa and it's working a treat. All my tests are coming back very good, liver, kidney, calcium and vitamin D are wonderful. My BP is 106/65.
I'm off to oz in 3 weeks so need to get my meds sorted.
Once again thanks for all you help.