struggling

mpe

Its a lifestyle change not a diet. I was brought up as a low carber (without knowing it) and it been my lifestyle since a kid.. Now 50+. So it is totally possible. I only recently realused I was "classified as a low carber" and realised I should add fat in to my diet, thanks to info on this forum.

The low fat, which soon ended up as being high sugar, craze only started 30-40 years ago.
Also note that "low carb" is typically defined relative to current guidelines. Depending on the person even 1960's "normal" could still be too much.
(How many men ate a third of a kg or women ate a quarter of a kg of glucose per day 50 years ago?)
Absolute amounts or amounts relative to (lean) body mass may be a better metric for dietary sugars. (Rather than the proportion of "calories" idea.)

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
We never had toast or bread as a kid.. Well at least I didn't as I didn't start eating normally till Somewhere between 6 and 8 years old!! All my parents could get me to eat was sausages and complan.
Many friends had heaps of potatos on their plates.. We didn't and I envied them when I did start eating normally it was meat and veg with one small potato. Omlettes and fry ups were regular as were casseroles with veg. Boiled eggs were done and that was the only time I recall having a bread slice cut up into fingers. Puddings were the main carbs.. Manarin pieces from a tin or fruit cocktail or fruit. Sunday occasionally was a steamed rice pudding with sultanas done in a muslin cloth.
Thats why I say, we didn't have many carbs and this has remained with me for my life. The most carb I will eat is panetonne bread n pudding home made in Dec.
I think thats why I find it so difficult when I see children locally that are brought up 6 out of 7 days on takeaways, because that is probably going to influence their eating for the rest of their lives.

This is what I meant about not knowing I was a lower carber... It was just normal food to me..I know low carbing wasn't so called 50 years ago!!!

Loving life

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Deleted as realised that this was off topic

Last edited by a moderator:

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
thank you for the replies
i,ve started reducing portion sizes, and bought some sugarfree jelly
hoping the sugarfree jelly will stop me eating so many grapes and bananas

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope the sugar free jelly does stop you eating grapes and bananas!!!!!!!!!! They are not doing you any favours at all. Try not to buy an more. Buy some berries and nuts instead, and only eat a few, not the whole lot! How are you doing with your testing? Are your after meal levels coming down at all? Are you learning which foods are bad for your levels?

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
thank you for the replies
i,ve started reducing portion sizes, and bought some sugarfree jelly
hoping the sugarfree jelly will stop me eating so many grapes and bananas
It's nice with a bit of cream on top :)

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i went to try the jelly but its still runny lol
cream sounds nice with jelly

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Oh i know, it seems to take forever to set doesn't it? It's worth the wait though :)

It's also nice with a small amount of berries thrown in...if you can tolerate them.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Ally,
Having seen this sugar free jelly on here , I had some today with some blackberries and double cream.

First time since diagnosis I had a dessert, delicious.

Tested afterwards no effect at all on me.

Keep going Ally you will get to your goal.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Lots of good advice here ally1.

In my case, I took my betes diagnosis as a wake up call. I changed what I eat and when I eat.

Your weight/size is the underlying issue here, of which betes is a symptom. The best thing I did to lose weight was go on The Newcastle Diet for 8 weeks, as I lost 3 stone in that short space of time and felt great (18 stone down to 15 stone). It really made me feel good about myself and I'm sure it would have the same effect on your state of mind too.

I've also resisted taking meds as psychologically being "diet only" doesn't make me feel so bad about myself.

Drink plenty of water, eat plenty of veg as snacks (carrot, celery, etc) and squeeze lemon juice or sprinkle some cinnamon over your foodstuff as and when you can.

It's easy for others to say "stay positive" but in order to do that you must first of all love yourself. Focus on healing yourself from within and the rest will soon fall into place

Reactions: 8 people

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ally

I had a real struggle at first but learnt that low carb was my friend, I never go hungry and have substituted various food, I like a curry so I have it but substitute the rice for grated cauliflower, I like a pint so I walk 1.2 miles each way which helps me. Everything is a compromise but as you get into it you will also relish the challenge and eventually enjoy it, don't become disheartened it will come right, I got results from the help on this forum and not the nhs, trust the advice, relish the challenge take small steps, best of luck

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And walking is free @ally. I walk every night. I was over 20st this time last year but I have been 21.5st in the past.

I tell you this to give you hope.

Start with 10 minutes walking, doesn't matter how fast. The important thing is don't do too much or you will get fed up. And use your stairs as an exercise tool. Make sure you've got trainers on and they don't have to be expensive ones.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
thank you all for the sound advice
i see the dietician on tuesday

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck for Tuesday Ally. I hope there is a positive outcome for you. Come back and tell us what was said.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You say under 20 before meals.. So does this mean you are rising even more after meals?

Have you been advised how to adjust your doses to bring down your levels.

With levels at 20, I would advise you get an appointment with your dsn.

Are you a low carber?

Loving life

Reactions: 4 people