Serious kick start!!!

Jo72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I am hoping for some advice and thought I would ask on here...
Yesterday I had a full check up and my blood pressure is too high, I am overweight and my glucose is high. Admitidley I haven't been looking after myself and now I am paying the price. I have been advised to exercise one hour a day, walking and eat salads and vegetables, I know just eating that will be pure hell! So any meal plans and advice on excercise would be hugely appreciated.
I am in shock and I know I only have myself to blame but I need to lower everything, weight, blood pressure and glucose levels and obviously the sooner the better.
Thanks in advance :)

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
:rolleyes:
Hi Jo and welcome to the forum. Well you have come to the right place. Loads of good information in here. And lots of people in the same boat. Take a good look around, there is a good search facility. And a place to ask any questions you have.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jo and welcome from me. It is a bit of a shock, isn't it? Have you had an official diagnosis of diabetes? Type 2?

Unless you are a vegetarian I don't understand why you can't eat meat and fish. Were you told this?

If you give us an idea of what you eat and drink in a typical day we may be able to help you.

Jo72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for your replies.
Yes I have type 2. My DR is wanting me to lose weight and lower my blood pressure and glucose within 15 days and I think he is being a bit extreme hence just salad and vegetables, which I will do but preferably accompanied by meat or fish!
On a normal day, i have either cereals (cornflakes or special k) with milk or toast with marmalade and coffee, lunch I have stir fry, spaghetti bolognese, salad or chicken and noodles. for dinner sardines on toast, cereals or sandwich. I drink coffees, cola zero, and orange squash. My meals aren't very adventurous and I know I need to add more vegetables. My downfall is bread and on occasion I do have full fat coke which I know is wrong. I have started walking an hour a day, only day 2 but I do feel better for it... wether mind over matter I don't know ...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I still don't understand the no meat or fish!

The walking will help enormously.

Below I have listed the foods I suggest you either cut out or seriously reduce on a long term basis, not just over the next 15 days!

All cereals
Toast
Marmalade
spaghetti
noodles
bread
orange squash

All these are heavy in carbohydrates/sugar. For diabetics, all carbs are bad because they all turn to sugar once inside the system, some quicker than others. This doesn't mean you can't have any carbs, but you have to seriously reduce them and avoid the worst ones. The worst ones are bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, pastry and batter, plus some fruits. Sugary drinks like orange squash should be avoided. Milk is also full of lactose, which is sugar, so that should be taken in moderation, for example in tea or coffee.

Try a plain yogurt for breakfast with some berries thrown in - strawberries, raspberries or blueberries, but not many berries. I'm afraid you are going to have to make friends with salads and vegetables or you will starve. Presumably you can eat eggs? Boiled, fried, poached or any other way are good. If you simply cannot live without bread, then buy a heavily seeded sort, like Hovis Wholemeal 7 seeds, or Burgen, but only have one slice with a meal.

I also suggest you buy a home testing kit and testing strips as soon as possible. Having one of these will help you control your blood sugar levels, and is the only way you will learn just what food does to you. If you test before you eat, then 2 hours after your fist bite, you will see a rise in levels. It is these rises that will cause you problems. The aim is to keep these rises as flat as you can. You won't do this if you eat too many carbs.

Remember, for us diabetics Carbs = Sugar.

Please have a good read round the forums. There is a lot of information on here, including food suggestions, recipes and so on. Come back any time and ask as many questions as you wish. Good luck and let us know how you go on.