Confused type 1

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
I have also posted this in type 1 diabetes folder, but it's also about low carb so posted it here and see whether anyone can help.
This is a bit hard to explain, but I'm having real trouble.
I will get all the information out of the way then explain.
I am on an insulin pump. My basal rates are:
00:00-06:00= 0.700
06:00-12:00= 0.650
12:00-06:00= 0.600
I also am taking Metformin XR 1000mg (500 twice a day) for PCOS.
I started a ketogenic diet, but I decided to make sure all my Basals were set up right. I did the fasting checks for all blocks (night,morning,afternoon,dinner). The only one I needed to change was my evening. I have been taking insulin for any protein. However my blood glucose are continuously high after breakfast and dinner unless I fast(when I'm checking Basals). After lunch I go low. I have the same amount of protein and fat with each meal and take the same amount for each. How can I have different results for each. Also I haven't been exercising while i adapt to the new diet. It's really frustrating. Also any protein I eat bring my glucose up. Why is this happening to me and no one else with diabetes? They said when I do basal checks I could eat carb free food, but I didn't because I knew it would raise my glucose immediately. It's really annoying me because I feel it's all getting too difficult to control now and I'm always going to feel ill. Can someone help me or maybe shep some light :(

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are consistently higher after breakfast and dinner and low after lunch, then I guess you need to adjust your bolus ratios accordingly

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
If you are consistently higher after breakfast and dinner and low after lunch, then I guess you need to adjust your bolus ratios accordingly
Even if what I'm bolusing for is protein? Not carbs.. Barely eat 6g carb each meal

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Protein increases my BG levels, but very slowly. I sometime think I have a protein storage bag, when it is full my BG slowly rise, sometimes over 3 days. I now assume 10g protein = 5g carbs, but absorbed much slower.

I can eat a low carb highish protein meal for breakfast and lunch then have almost zero protein and carb dinner (fried buttered mushrooms) and my BG levels will rise through the evening and through the night resulting in my pre breakfast level being higher than my pre dinner level.

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 59. Diagnosed T1 / LADA in December. Taking no insulin or medication, and striving to keep my BS readings as close to Dr Bernstein's 'normalised' 4.6 pre breakfast and 5.6 2hr after eating levels as possible in order to keep as many insulin making pancreas beta cells as possible for as long as I can.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also tried higher protein a couple of months after I started low-carbing and I couldn't understand why my BGs were all over the place after having started so well. I finally figured out it was a slow rise from the protein so I cut it back to normal amounts and things were much more predictable.

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The other thing is you might have a work day basal, an mountain climbing basal and a Sunday lounge lizard basal

Reactions: 2 people

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
I think I will have to have a look into my protein intake. Such a shame because I was really enjoying the meals with this ratio of macro nutrient..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I wouldn't change diet way of thinking just for getting your bolus's right.

Most of us have different ratio's for different meals. Mine because I'm really active in mornings and lunch times are so different to evenings. I have 5 different time slots set up for meal times.

I certainly wouldn't stop my food way of thinking, just for adjusting bolus ratio's

Loving life