Confused

Kitkat123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Any thoughts????
Had fasting glucose done at doctors request came back 6.8
Am extremely fatigued ( having nana naps which is really unlike me lol) blurred vision, constantly hungry?? Etc but as my cholesterol is (3) and my triglycerides are not elevated my doctor has said that my blood glucose levels are normal and that I do not need further tests my father and two of my sisters are diabetic and they strongly disagree I'm now rather confused!!!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As I said on your other thread, a fasting blood test of 6.8 is higher than normal. Under 6 is considered normal. At 7 you could be diabetic. Your cholesterol levels have absolutely nothing to do with it. Goodness knows why your doctor said that. I would insist on an HBa1c test as that is the definitive diagnostic test. Fasting tests can be unreliable.

Reactions: 2 people

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
It is probably under the Doc's trigger point of 7 to send you for more tests.

Buy a meter take 10 tests per day and then you will be happy or not.

Kitkat123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for your replies to this post and also another post (no idea where I posted the other post lol but it was somewhere on this forum) anyway thank you! I did in fact go back to my doctors and have had more blood tests etc and to cut a long story short I have been diagnosed with type 2 which, crazy as it sounds was a relief as I know what I'm dealing with now It also means that I can hopefully improve my glucose levels and stop feeling so horribly tired!! Anyway I have received the mandatory leaflets and diet plans etc but as I am a vegetarian nhs diet plans don't exactly cater for the likes of me!! I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books or websites etc. cheers xx

Kitkat123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for your reply perhaps I should have started a new thread my first result was 6.8 followed by two further tests over 7 and a raised hba1c. I know that my highest reading is always the morning one and although I don't quite understand why I have heard of dawn phenomenon? However what I am struggling with is dietary advice especially as I'm vegetarian
Cheers x

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a print out of my fasting glucose result today. It said 5.5 was the upper limit of normal.
if you are vegetarian you need to give thought to your source of vitamin B12.
It seems that B12 deficiency is as bad as if not worse than diabetes in some ways.
There is no natural non animal source of B 122.
Steps off the high horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I got a print out of my fasting glucose result today. It said 5.5 was the upper limit of normal.
if you are vegetarian you need to give thought to your source of vitamin B12.
It seems that B12 deficiency is as bad as if not worse than diabetes in some ways.
There is no natural non animal source of B 122.
Steps off the high horse.
B12 is something that anyone on metformin should keep an eye on. OP says she is vegetarian, not vegan. The most common type of vegetarian in the UK is lacto-ovo. Such a diet has many sources of B12 including dairy and eggs :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Thank you for your reply perhaps I should have started a new thread my first result was 6.8 followed by two further tests over 7 and a raised hba1c. I know that my highest reading is always the morning one and although I don't quite understand why I have heard of dawn phenomenon? However what I am struggling with is dietary advice especially as I'm vegetarian
Cheers x
Hi Kitkat :) as the others have said, there is a lot of vegetarian food ideas if you have a look around this site. The recipe thread is a work in progress so check back for updates. If you want any specific recipes or ideas, just shout and one of the many veggies here will pop up :)

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B12 is something that anyone on metformin should keep an eye on. OP says she is vegetarian, not vegan. The most common type of vegetarian in the UK is lacto-ovo. Such a diet has many sources of B12 including dairy and eggs :)
I just read somewhere that 50% of vegetarians May be B12 deficient. But most of what you read is nonsense isn't it.