Frolic acid

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey ,
I'm not in my first trimester yet I am going to be trying with in the next two months .
That way I would of been taking 5mg of folic acid for three months prior , but I've been told it's personal choice for when you are not pregnant , and I have been told to take 5mg of folic acid right up Untill I would be 12 weeks .

Hope this helps

Take care
:):):)

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Frolic acid - is that the stuff where you "turn on, tune in, drop out"? Anyone under 60 need not reply.

How I love spell checkers / predictive text.
sally

Reactions: 4 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you though I've totally forgotten from my first pregnancy x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Women with out diabetes will take 4mg of folic acid before and during pregnancy . But us women with diabetes will take a 5mg of folic acid . It's a higher dose , we can only get given this on prescription it's not available to buy . I only know this as have just recently attended my first pre conception clinic all went really well and got given the go ahead . I've been told you can take folic acid three months prior or just a few weeks , or once pregnant . But we have decided to go by the book and I will take it first for three months then try but it is your choice . What is your current hba1c :)
Congratulations on your first pregnancy . Are you currently pregnant now or in the process of trying either way good luck and best wishes .

:):):)

ealingr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is actually 400mcg for women without diabetes and 5mg (5000mcg) for women with diabetes. So if you are diabetic you should be taking more than 10 times the non-diabetic dose.

The recommendation, I believe, is to start taking the higher dose for 3 months prior to conception to have the best chance of reducing neural tube defects.