Such Different Readings

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
I just took my BG two hours post meal and got 7.1 I thought that was a bit high for this particular meal so I tested a different finger on the same hand. It was 6.1. That's a vast difference. I had washed and dried my hands before. What am I supposed to make of this please?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is very common. It happens to me frequently. When it does I take a 3rd test. If the 3rd test is close to one of the others, then I average those 2 results.
If the 3rd test is also wildly different, I average all 3. Nothing else you can do. I have had a 2mmol/l difference before now.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Bluetit is a good one. TBH you rarely get the same reading twice so try not to worry about it..........as frustrating as it can be.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
I just took my BG two hours post meal and got 7.1 I thought that was a bit high for this particular meal so I tested a different finger on the same hand. It was 6.1. That's a vast difference. I had washed and dried my hands before. What am I supposed to make of this please?
You have already had good replies about the difference.

I'd be happy with either result post-meal, but I test at my peak rather than two hours. That timing tells you a lot more about the affect of a meal on your glucose levels. Do you know when you peak?

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
No I don't test after one hour. If I was told I was diabetic I would. I just test after 2 hours. My average 2 hour reading is around 5.7.

Thanks for all your replies guys.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No I don't test after one hour. If I was told I was diabetic I would. I just test after 2 hours. My average 2 hour reading is around 5.7.

Live dangerously. Try a forbidden test one hour after breakfast tomorrow...

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
I don't think I need to at this stage. I can only afford so many strips too. If I was consistently getting high sixes and above after two hours I would be prompted to do hourly readings. 99% of my 2 hour readings are in the acceptable range....in fact I think all of them have been.

A

AnnieC

I don't think I need to at this stage. I can only afford so many strips too. If I was consistently getting high sixes and above after two hours I would be prompted to do hourly readings. 99% of my 2 hour readings are in the acceptable range....in fact I think all of them have been.
6's and 7's after 2 hours is good

A

AnnieC

I am prediabetic and have mostly 6's sometimes 5's after 2 hours and I am happy with that so I don't test at every meal now

A

AnnieC

Live dangerously. Try a forbidden test one hour after breakfast tomorrow...
I have never really understood how knowing when you peak helps as it is always going to be quite high after 1 hour .What would you consider a good peak level for you and how does it help you

Even non diabetics levels rise after eating normal BG levels for non diabetics are 3.5 to 5.5 before meals and less than 8 after 2 hours so for a diabetic anything below 8 after 2 hours is normal levels what ever their peak was

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
I have never really understood how knowing when you peak helps as it is always going to be quite high after 1 hour .What would you consider a good peak level for you and how does it help you

Even non diabetics levels rise after eating normal BG levels for non diabetics are 3.5 to 5.5 before meals and less than 8 after 2 hours so for a diabetic anything below 8 after 2 hours is normal levels what ever their peak was

I believe it's peaks that do the damage, but then so would a continually raised BG that took forever to come down, hence that 2 hour reading gives you a fair idea of that - is your body righting a peak. That;s the way I look at it anyway. We tested my son the other day an hour after eating a small bowl of ice-cream. It was 6.4. I know that's normal but I get less than that very often after eating a whole big meal - after 2 hours.

When you are continually reading fives after 2 hours, you assume nothing is getting worse whatever that peak is. Like I said, if I was getting high sixes and into the 7s consistently I would want to pursue hourly readings.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Please consider it. I think you may be wasting strips and getting a false sense of security at two hours.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Please read this: Blood Glucose Targets

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
I know the ranges.
I know you mean well but I am prediabetic. My last Hba1c was 37. Why would a person with that result need to do one hourly readings? It's unnecessary at this stage. Everybody peaks after an hour. A nutritionist told me yesterday that even non diabetic people get an occasional very high reading, higher than we all imagine. I am not looking to scare myself unecessarily but thanks for your interest.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know the ranges.
I know you mean well but I am prediabetic. My last Hba1c was 37. Why would a person with that result need to do one hourly readings? It's unnecessary at this stage. Everybody peaks after an hour. A nutritionist told me yesterday that even non diabetic people get an occasional very high reading, higher than we all imagine. I am not looking to scare myself unecessarily but thanks for your interest.

@Andrew Colvin did several reports about testing his non-diabetic wife with interesting results. Her 1 hour peaks were often over the "normal" level for non-diabetics and sometimes higher than his own. The important thing to remember is that non-diabetics will return to base at 2 hours, or as near as dammit. Diabetics probably won't. This is because non diabetics have fully functioning insulin. Diabetics don't. I did test at 1 hour and 2 hours until very recently, but have now ceased doing this unless it is a brand new food combination. I was getting demoralised seeing the 1 hour peaks even if I was on the way back down again and within my target range at 2 hours. There are no official target ranges at 1 hour for diabetics. Maybe there is good reason for this.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I know the ranges..

Do you? Which targets do you work to? I gave my reasons for tighter targets in the answer which followed. However, YMMV always applies and your targets appear to be fine for you.

A nutritionist told me yesterday that even non diabetic people get an occasional very high reading, higher than we all imagine..

Your nutritionist is incorrect apart from rare extremes or those using certain medications, particularly corticosteroids..

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Do you? Which targets do you work to? I gave my reasons for tighter targets in the answer which followed. However, YMMV always applies and your targets appear to be fine for you.

Your nutritionist is incorrect apart from rare extremes or those using certain medications, particularly corticosteroids..

You are being extremely pushy now Alan. I don't know why. I have told you how I feel on the subject of 1 hourly readings. Can you just leave it please? You obviously feel you an authority on the subject or at least that's how you come across. People are allowed to make up their own minds you know.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You are being extremely pushy now Alan. I don't know why. I have told you how I feel on the subject of 1 hourly readings. Can you just leave it please? You obviously feel you an authority on the subject or at least that's how you come across. People are allowed to make up their own minds you know.
Fair enough. Consider it dropped in discussions between us.