High bg in the morning.

Maidz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning,
I've noticed this a few times now but I keep waking up with high sugars. This morning they were 19!! And I've no idea why. My sugars were 11 before I went to bed so I injected 1 unit then went to sleep. I hadn't eaten anything for approx 3 hours before I went to sleep either. How do I stop this from happening? X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me personally 1 unit wouldn't be enough for an 11, but I realize you may have wanted to stay a little higher before bed.....

the first thing to consider is your background insulin dose....

what background insulin are you on?

when do you take it?

if you are a twice a day background, the evening one could be responsible for your morning highs..........but don't forget the dawn phenomenon as well.........

Maidz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've heard of this dawn phenomenon but don't fully understand it.
I have my background insulin (Lantus) at 7pm and have 24 units. Sometimes I wake up fine but I have noticed the odd high sugar level in the morning and it just makes me feel ******. It also makes it harder to get out of bed in the morning too. I appreciate your reply, thanks x

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can relate to high morning readings making it harder to get up and function...........

dawn phenomenon is a natural hormonal response we all go through after long periods of fasting...........we have no food in our stomachs for energy in the morning so the body improvises by asking the liver to give up some of its glucose, the body assists even further by releasing other hormones that increase our resistance to insulin.......for diabetics this has an unwanted effect as we cant just respond to the escalating blood sugar levels....

unfortunately increasing your Lantus dose will not stop its effect, but you can attempt to reduce its severity.........

I would test the Lantus, so take it at 7 pm and have no food [carbs] till the next day............test before bed and at 3 am, and when you wake in the morning......

if your current dose is correct, then you should hold between 1-2 mmol between before bed and 3 am........

the dawn phenomenon can begin at different times but its almost always after 3 am, so this is why its wise to get a blood sugar reading at this time.....

there are some tactics to tackle the dawn phenomenon, which can have varying success rates from person to person......

having a split background dose and having a dose right before bed and then when you wake can have a good effect as the doses will overlap in terms of time, this can help drop morning levels.........

some people eat a slowly digested supper, like cheese or peanut butter so that the livers response is not as extreme as digestion will still be taking place late into the night/morning.....

for me, when on injection [now pumping], getting up early and getting food in me, was my tactic of choice, but it often failed.........

sorry for rambling on.....

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
DP is the release of hormones during sleep which has a tendency to push bg levels up, Google it for a full explanation.

As you say these high morning levels are not normal there could be two other possible explanations apart from your basal insulin being too low. One is when you eat a high-fat meal the night before, this can lead to elevated bg several hours later, and the other is the Samogyi Effect, this is when someone hypo's in their sleep without realising and the liver compensates, again Google for a full explanation.

Reactions: 2 people

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
Morning,
I've noticed this a few times now but I keep waking up with high sugars. This morning they were 19!! And I've no idea why. My sugars were 11 before I went to bed so I injected 1 unit then went to sleep. I hadn't eaten anything for approx 3 hours before I went to sleep either. How do I stop this from happening? X

This is not a solution but it may help you understand what is happening: I Ate Nothing! Why Are My BGs high?

That is the reason for glycogen release; Somogyi is a bit different.