Diet Soda, Fruit Juice substitute?

-FRED-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't drink fruit juice or diet soda's anymore, so I've been thinking of making vanilla milkshakes using vanilla extract+ice blocks+Almond milk+Stevia.

I have been doing research to try and determine weather almond milk is healthier than coconut milk, but there are so many conflicting articles.
What are you're opinions? which milk do you think has less saturated fats?

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
That sounds interesting but don't they usually use soy milk for those shakes.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
I can't drink fruit juice or diet soda's anymore, so I've been thinking of making vanilla milkshakes using vanilla extract+ice blocks+Almond milk+Stevia.

I have been doing research to try and determine weather almond milk is healthier than coconut milk, but there are so many conflicting articles.
What are you're opinions? which milk do you think has less saturated fats?
Stop worrying about the fat content. Drink the one that tastes best to you.

Are you allergic to diet soda? If not, why can't you drink them?

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you allergic to diet soda? If not, why can't you drink them?

Aspartame?

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Is that a question? Read this: Aspartame
Goodonya Alan,

The Diabetes Australia and DAQ feel they have the need to dispel this nasty myth in their mags and it is due to appear again.

Anyone with any doubts should consider Wot-iF

What if, it is as bad as the rumor-mongers say?

Then wouldn't the no win no fee legal dudes in the USA be having a banquet.

They are not.

So tough titties to the rumor mongers and I feel sorry for the naive who believed them.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The link did not work for me.

Nor does one on that post I gave you, but I hope you read it anyway.

Mercola, in my opinion, is like the stopped clock which is right twice daily but wrong the rest of the time.

You mean you weren't persuaded?

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The West Australia link of Alan's explained the substitute sugars well even how the rumors got started.

There is no-one making money out of backhanders in Australia. Australia produces and sells sugar world wide if we had a vested interest it would be in promoting sugar.

Why would anyone want to spread rumor mongering.

Coke has gone down the path of a dollar each way with sweeteners 950 and 951 So whichever one you do not like you only get half of it. Either way the dose is too low to hint at a problem.

For us, sugar is the worst choice.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped drinking aspartame looooong before I heard the stuff about how bad it is supposed to be.
- because it gives me a very nasty headache.
So does monosodium glutamate.
And that makes me astonishingly thirsty too.

Oh, and other artificial sweeteners and food colourings often cause insomnia - took months of sleeplessness to worth that one out!

I've read comments on aspartame before - and everyone is entitled to an opinion.
But they are not entitled to tell me that my very real reactions are non-existent.

Personally, I don't think eating artificial foods, instead of the real stuff is a good idea, whether there are proven problems, or not.

Anyway, a few weeks of avoiding over sweetened foods like cola and cake and your taste buds recover, and naturally sweet foods like berries start to taste like they've been dipped in honey. Gorgeous.

Please note: I admit to certain hypocrisies, including occasional low carb jelly, but they are the exception, not the rule ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I stopped drinking aspartame looooong before I heard the stuff about how bad it is supposed to be.
- because it gives me a very nasty headache.
So does monosodium glutamate.
And that makes me astonishingly thirsty too.

Oh, and other artificial sweeteners and food colourings often cause insomnia - took months of sleeplessness to worth that one out!

I've read comments on aspartame before - and everyone is entitled to an opinion.
But they are not entitled to tell me that my very real reactions are non-existent.

Personally, I don't think eating articial foods, instead of the real stuff is a good idea, whether there are proven problems, or not.

Anyway, a few weeks of avoiding over sweetened foods like cola and cake and your taste buds recover, and naturally sweet foods like berries start to taste like they've been dipped in honey. Gorgeous.

Please note: I admit to certain hypocrisies, including occasional low carb jelly, but they are the exception, not the rule ;)

Agreed.
No matter what side of the Aspartame debate you side with, it still remains that many people have reported adverse effects, myself included. My own reactions to Aspartame started when it first came out, long before the scare stories started doing the rounds.

In reply to the OP - I don't think it matters what milk you choose as far as fats are concerned, it's down to what you prefer, and experimentation is rather fun, and on occasion errr, interesting ! :D .

Signy