Fingers hurt from testing ?

prickles1998

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone elses fingers ache from testing ? Im beginning to get tough skin on my fingers where I test and they can be sore too . Does anyone have any ideas what to do with this maybe some hand cream or something ? Thanks x Nikki

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I get the same occasionally. Do you use different fingers and use side of finger ? That helps a little.

prickles1998

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I always change to different sides of fingers etc..I think I just have very sensitive skin unfortunately ..moisturising doesn't really help either so I dont really know what else I can do . Thank you though

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Have it on the lowest setting that draws blood and change lancet regularly. If not, unsure what else to advise. Mine are pretty sore though ! Bummer :)

Jan68

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
HI my daughter was taught to use her arm (just below the elbo), as there are a lot of nerve ending in your fingertips and more painful.

prickles1998

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh that's really interesting ..do you get much blood from it ? My meter is very temperamental like that ..it must have more than enough blood ..

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Google: alternate site palm glucose.
Your palm is ok for accuracy, arm is a half hour behind so it.s ok for fasting or before meal tests

lucyturniptree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I don't like beetroot or celery- URGGH
I find that alternative sites tend to hurt more and give less blood than my fingers. Tried palms and arms and all sorts of other places. Fingers do hurt from testing, but I try to alternate and not use my "texting" fingers! Use I avoid the pads on my fingers as they hurt far too much after repeated testing.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I once tried testing my toes instead, thinking they must be similar to fingers (I was in hospital, so they were accessible). Take it from me, they are nothing like fingers: it was hard to get any blood, the prick was astonishingly painful and the site took much longer to stop hurting. And sucking the blood off was a challenge!

I found my stomach was quite a good place, but that didn't help much as I needed it for insulin injections. I did have some success with the fleshy bit of the side of my hand.

In the end I came back to the routine of using the left side of each finger in turn near the tip, then the right side, then the left again but nearer the knuckle, then the right. That gives a total of 40 sites, though they are rather close to each other.

Kate

sophsss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
E45 is a very good hand cream. I've used this since I began pricking my fingers earlier on this year when diagnosed, other than that I aren't sure what to advise x

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some lancets are more painful than others use the multclx from accu chek and fnd this quite gentle but I only test a couple of times a day so am no expert
CAROL

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
Does anyone elses fingers ache from testing ? Im beginning to get tough skin on my fingers where I test and they can be sore too . Does anyone have any ideas what to do with this maybe some hand cream or something ? Thanks x Nikki
Please read this: Painless Pricks

Hollister

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes :p
Turn it on the lowest setting and change oyur lancet alot. It's more like bruising under the skin :(
I have lots of scars on my fingers from testing, it's proof we're all soldiers :)

Reactions: 2 people

iScream

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Make sure you replace the lancet each time you test your bs.