Boiled v mashed potato

SkinnyLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone, We're always being told that if we eat potatoes, boiled ones are better than mash because mashing breaks down the cellulose which releases the sugars more quickly. Surely though, if you have boiled potatoes they are 'mashed' when you chew them and so both kinds are mashed by the time they reach your stomach. Is there any scientific research about this? [Apart from some roasties on Sundays I only have sweet potatoes but the mashing problem has been bugging me for a while].

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I the it's because the mashing effect releases the starch much quicker than chewing would, plus I don't think we mash the potato in our mouths to the same extent as mashing does............if that makes sense :confused:

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Haven't done spuds for such a long time!
Why would anyone with diabetes want to eat spuds? There are far better options.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Haven't done spuds for such a long time!
Why would anyone with diabetes want to eat spuds? There are far better options.

I eat spuds 3-4 times a week (I'm type 1). It's personal preference whether you think there are far better options :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm Type 2 and also eat spuds. It's more about portion control and what you eat with them that matters.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I eat spuds 3-4 times a week (I'm type 1). It's personal preference whether you think there are far better

I eat spuds 3-4 times a week (I'm type 1). It's personal preference whether you think there are far better options :)
You are right! T2 just have to avoid them!! They spike me horribly and now I just don't touch them!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's ate my post again!
Help!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Nosher, it can be seen if you expand the quoted bit. I think you must be using the quote option wrongly somehow.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It does depend a lot on variety. The floury types of potato that you are more likely to use for mashed potato have higher GIs than the waxy type (even when eaten plain boiled)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16351768
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10334648
You can lower GI by adding fat and vinegar and also by cooling cooked potato so a salad made with a vinaigrette dressing and Nicola* potatoes is probably about the lowest GI way of eating them..

*GI 58 about the lowest for a potato

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What it is, is when I press the reply button which puts the quote into the posting box. I try to write my post and the 70% box bounces on my screen and my post is lost in the quote. I have done the introduce yourself bit and it won't disappear. So annoying.
So no more quotes!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If only potatoes did contain cellulose based carbs, humans generally don't digest cellulose. Potatoes contain alpha carbs which are mostly digestible.

A boiled new potato takes longer to break down than mashed potato. Mashed potato though is still better than pureed potato. It is true that chewing releases the ptyalin enzyme via the saliva. It is called alpha amylase or more usually mouth amylase and it starts to work whilst the potato is slipping down your throat on the way to more digestive enzymes waiting in the stomache. But, particle size is all important. Chewed boiled potato is still chunks and not fine particles and still takes much longer to break down.

The four things that affect the glycaemic response for potatoes are:

Ripeness
Processing (pressing, chewing, mashing)
Preparation Method - cooking and then allowing the potato to cool creates Resistant Starch which then acts more like fibre
Variety of potato.

In addition certain foods such as vinegar also reduces GI. Potato salad is often quite low and hardly ever affects me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
In addition certain foods such as vinegar also reduces GI. Potato salad is often quite low and hardly ever affects me.

That must be why I can manage a few home made chips as I sprinkle quite a bit of vinegar on them. They don't spike me at all as long as I only have a few. (about 6, but better than none!)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Read somewhere .... the fresher the spud the better for diabetics.
The freshest you're going to get is from your garden.
You pull it prepare it and cook it there and then you're eating a living thing.
The ones from Tesco have been around a long time since being picked.
Then riddled for size.
Then stored bagged and stored again.
From tractor trailer to shed to trailer to truck to warehouse to truck to shop to shelves ... you'll be eating a dying product.
I know you can nit pick that one but ... you're eating a spud that has been breaking down ... turning to glucose so ... the fresher the better.

SkinnyLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your comments everyone, especially Phoenix and Yorksman for the scientific content.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Have not heard about the 'mashing' thing; here in Australia we have a Low Gi potato called Carisma with a GI of 55 and 9g carb per 100g. Don't eat that many spuds but nice to know I can if I want :)

madperson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish-ugh & rudeness
I too don't eat much potatoes- just can't be bothered with them & I'm not fond of sweet potaotes either, but I will look to growing the Crisma variety, thanks everyone for the info

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
Hi Everyone, We're always being told that if we eat potatoes, boiled ones are better than mash because mashing breaks down the cellulose which releases the sugars more quickly. Surely though, if you have boiled potatoes they are 'mashed' when you chew them and so both kinds are mashed by the time they reach your stomach. Is there any scientific research about this? [Apart from some roasties on Sundays I only have sweet potatoes but the mashing problem has been bugging me for a while].
My scientific research is on a sample size of n =1.

Myself with my meter.

It told me that a golf-ball-sized scoop of mashed spuds has pretty much the same effect as a boiled or baked spud of similar size on my one-hour post-meal test result. It also told me that exceeding golf ball size would lead to exceeding acceptable post-meal spike levels.

Reactions: 3 people

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
My scientific research is on a sample size of n =1.

Myself with my meter.

It told me that a golf-ball-sized scoop of mashed spuds has pretty much the same effect as a boiled or baked spud of similar size on my one-hour post-meal test result. It also told me that exceeding golf ball size would lead to exceeding acceptable post-meal spike levels.
Thank you Alan for being the human guinea pig ... so that's cleared that one up! :)

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
Thank you Alan for being the human guinea pig ... so that's cleared that one up! :)
The important point I did not mention is we are all a little different.

You need to do your own scientific experiment, with yourself as the subject. My own research project never ends. Nor will yours.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I also spike with any spuds. So I just don't bother.
Can't see any benefit in cooking them and eating them if there any chance of spiking! The alternatives are better.