LCHF is great for my Glucose but anyone understand Chloresterol values

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Mission 3 in one lipid meter and it does TOTAL HDL and TRIG (calculate LDL using formula too)
My readings are a bit wacky on this diet and my Diabetic nurse does not seem to think its a problem

TOTAL is always low 2.7 - should be 4.2 at the lowest?
HDL is 0.56 - should be >0.9 for men
TRIG is always low 0.89 - should be 1.3 at the lowest?

Main question is how low can a HDL go before there's problems

I guess this Mission 3 in 1 meter could be another pile of **** tech too but the results are consistent and it passes its own test checks

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
According to my blood lipid print outs, the normal range is

Total: 3 to 5
Trigs: 0 to 1.9
HDL: 1.2 to 3.5
LDL: 0 to 3

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not sure of the accuracy of these meters and they are unlikely to be anywhere near as accurate as lab tests, however here are the target cholesterol levels that they want people with diabetes to aim for:

• Your total cholesterol level should be below 4.0mmol/l.

• LDL levels should be less than 2.0mmol/l.

• HDL levels should be 1.0mmol/l or above in men and 1.2mmol/l or above in women.

• Triglyceride levels should be 1.7mmol/l or less.

G

graj0

TOTAL is always low 2.7 - should be 4.2 at the lowest?
HDL is 0.56 - should be >0.9 for men
TRIG is always low 0.89 - should be 1.3 at the lowest?
Main question is how low can a HDL go before there's problems
I guess this Mission 3 in 1 meter could be another pile of **** tech too but the results are consistent and it passes its own test checks
My reading of the NICE guidelines makes me believe that they would like all diabetics to take statins, regardless of numbers.
I don't think your meter is another pile of ****, I've read some good things, even considered buying one myself. As for how low can HDL go, that's a good question. Cholesterol is produced by the body anyway, only some comes from our food and even then not cholesterol in our food. I can only say that as cholesterol is needed by every cell in the body for something or another there will be signs. I have been told that the brain fog I experience is down to low cholesterol after 17 years of taking statins.