Not open for further replies.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not this year. Just the usual suspects - courgettes, tomatoes, aubergines, cucumber, herbs. Slim pickings I'm afraid. The apples trees are doing well. My pension plan was to grow lots of apples and live off pies and cider in my old age. I might need a plan B :facepalm:
The amount of strawberries we are eating this year, I might grow a line of dangly strawberry baskets along the wall next year.

I love growing tomatoes, but... They aren't really a favourite of mine. Eat them ok, but they don't make my toes curl, like aubergines or green beans do.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm using a Swedish tool called kostbevakning that calculates grams of protein, fat and carbs and also energy percentage as well as total calories, while this is really of no interest I note it. So I'm aiming at less then 10 grams of carbs per day and 3 E% ( more about energy percentage her - http://www.time-to-run.com/nutrition/calculate-energy.htm)
And yesterday my numbers were; 54 g protein (12 E%), 183 g fat (86 E%), 8g carbs (2 E%) and total calories 1874 (above BMR, basal metabolic rate, calculated on weight, height, age and gender, so not starving).
I guess app 800 cals from my fatty coffee in the morning and afternoon.
Also note that I'm in continuous nutritional ketosis.
Thanks modesty. I was just curious.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Busy morning, crazy afternoon at work......
Breakfast 1 weetabix (no time to cook bacon! I seem ok with them too!)
Lunch pre-work bacon poached egg mushrooms
Dinner at work salmon and cucumber
Supper at home strawberries and cream

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brekkie: crustless quiche and a 97% sausage

Snack: half a macdonalds latte

Lunch: scratchings

Evening: 2 tescos finest burgers, half an innocent veg pot, berries and lots of cream

Snack: Edam poppadom

Carbs beautifully spread out today. Felt great despite a very tiring, stressful and unpleasant day at work.
Had the same kind of day at work too........

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Edam poppadom? Tell me more!
Well, it was an accident when I was trying for your cheese Doritos...

I thought you did them in the microwave.

So I cut my cheese slices into triangles, put them on a silicone baking tray and microwaved them.
They melted onto a single pool, bubbled all over, and I stopped cooking just as a hint of golden colour appeared.

Once cool, it was a flat disc of crisp, light cheesy crunch! Not really poppadommy, but I think they would be amazing with chutney.

Do low carb chutneys even exist?

I've made them a couple of times now, and use 2 slices of either Gouda or Edam, in a double layer. 2-2.5 mins to cook. ish.

And this one is intended to be a puddle! ;)

Reactions: 5 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Well, it was an accident when I was trying for your cheese Doritos...

I thought you did them in the microwave.

So I cut my cheese slices into triangles, put them on a silicone baking tray and microwaved them.
They melted onto a single pool, bubbled all over, and I stopped cooking just as a hint of golden colour appeared.

Once cool, it was a flat disc of crisp, light cheesy crunch! Not really poppadommy, but I think they would be amazing with chutney.

Do low carb chutneys even exist?

I've made them a couple of times now, and use 2 slices of either Gouda or Edam, in a double layer. 2-2.5 mins to cook. ish.

And this one is intended to be a puddle! ;)
Nice one. I have also seen on t'internet that you can make cheese puddles then bend them to make taco shells.

Reactions: 4 people

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was my husband's birthday yesterday and he took me to dinner last night. Good break from all my eye tests yesterday. We had a lovely duck dish and a nice salad. We shared a cake slice, I only took a few small bites and he managed to finish it all off lol. You shouldn't eat cake he says---cheeky but fairly accurate ;)

Am:
low carb homemade bread (quick and easy to make bread it's a mix and pour into the pan then bake, I've kept some of it in the freezer and reheat it in the microwave or oven)

Recipe via http://www.thelondoner.me/2014/03/mums-low-carb-bread.html

2 Poached eggs

Lunch:
Fish with avocado salsa (I used Mahi Mahi for the fish)
With romaine leaves

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2076/grilled-fish-with-chunky-avocado-salsa

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:

suehatton

I have lived and breathed low carb for weeks now and Im not really getting anywhere. The scales say a pound ON this morning but that just cant be mathematically possible. Counting carbs, cals, steps, protein, fat. The things I have resisted would make your hair curl. Im a big girl and any restrictions should have the first stone or two dropping off. Fed up doesnt begin to describe it.

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have lived and breathed low carb for weeks now and Im not really getting anywhere. The scales say a pound ON this morning but that just cant be mathematically possible. Counting carbs, cals, steps, protein, fat. The things I have resisted would make your hair curl. Im a big girl and any restrictions should have the first stone or two dropping off. Fed up doesnt begin to describe it.

Might be worth getting your thyroid function checked over and Vit D3 levels I believe can impact on weight loss. Other than that it's the old writing it all down , totting calories up, doing more exercise and drinking gallons of water. I find tha last bit the hardest and the one I get the most benefit from when I make myself do it.

Reactions: 3 people

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi Sue, one factor can be thyroid...have you done a thyroid test lately?if so are the numbers okay? When you're hypothyroid it's harder to lose weight...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

So, roughly, how many grams of carb are you consuming a day, and how many calories?

suehatton

So, roughly, how many grams of carb are you consuming a day, and how many calories?
About 1500 cals 10% carbs. BMI 38.4 Only been recording on my fitness pal for 5 days so cant say the cals before that, but Ive been eating roughly the same for weeks. This week I started walking and Ive done about 4 miles over 3 days which I know isnt loads but more than last week. Now this may be the showstopper, but Ive used different scales this week BUT both Boots so I wouldnt have expected them to be different. I think I will wait til next weigh in on Friday, use the same scales and see if thats the issue. I could understand staying the same but a gain is a slap round the chops!!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
About 1500 cals 10% carbs. BMI 38.4 Only been recording on my fitness pal for 5 days so cant say the cals before that, but Ive been eating roughly the same for weeks. This week I started walking and Ive done about 4 miles over 3 days which I know isnt loads but more than last week. Now this may be the showstopper, but Ive used different scales this week BUT both Boots so I wouldnt have expected them to be different. I think I will wait til next weigh in on Friday, use the same scales and see if thats the issue. I could understand staying the same but a gain is a slap round the chops!!!

The scales may differ, just as meters do. I'd always use the same set where possible.

And for my final mantra,........ Drink lots of water. It really does help in so many ways.

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I assume you wear clothes when you weigh yourself in Boots! :bag: I think for consistency, you should weigh yourself on the same scales, on the same floor covering, same time of the day, with an empty bladder and nekkid. This way you can compare apples with apples. Weighing in Boots means you may weigh more in the winter due to big thermal knickers, woolly socks etc. Get some home scales and get yer kit off!

suehatton

I assume you wear clothes when you weigh yourself in Boots! :bag: I think for consistency, you should weigh yourself on the same scales, on the same floor covering, same time of the day, with an empty bladder and nekkid. This way you can compare apples with apples. Weighing in Boots means you may weigh more in the winter due to big thermal knickers, woolly socks etc. Get some home scales and get yer kit off!
Oh God...imagine that. Nekked in Boots.....its that nightmare!! Same scales next 5 weeks, if I had some at home I would be perma-narked so not doing that. I will carry on regardless and see what happens next week. I usually handle disappointment with my head in a trough so thats the next challenge!!!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Just remember to factor in a buffer of a few pounds either way when you weigh in Boots to account for clothes, hydration, toilet status (?) etc. this way you will cut yourself some slack and get less stressed.

And remember if you weigh nekkid at home to switch your webcam off :watching:

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.