Blood sugar still high

paul_round

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Newly diagnosed a few weeks and have been taking regular readings before lunch, 2 hours after lunch, however I am still reading as high, typically around 8-9 before i eat, 10-12 2 hours after lunch. i am on 1500MG of metformin a day and have cut all carbs from my diet, surely they should be lower than that, (initial diagnosis reading was 24)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Paul

You say you've cut all carbs? What's a typical daily menu for you?

paul_round

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast alternates between bacon , mushroom, tomato and egg, grilled and greek yoghurt with blueberries.
Lunch, tuna/salmon salad, or sashimi. or chicken salad
Dinner, maybe a pork chop or chicken, maybe steak with veg, no snacks and several cups of coffee during the day
the only time I let up on this is sunday roast where i will have 2- 3 small potatoes

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I woke up to 9.5 today.
I have no idea why.
I've had great control this last two weeks ... 5.6 /6.5

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Give it a month of lchf, no grain/product, potato and sugar stuff ..
It takes 3 weeks for the met to kick in.

Don't forget to keep healthy fat in your diet

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Breakfast alternates between bacon , mushroom, tomato and egg, grilled and greek yoghurt with blueberries.
Lunch, tuna/salmon salad, or sashimi. or chicken salad
Dinner, maybe a pork chop or chicken, maybe steak with veg, no snacks and several cups of coffee during the day
the only time I let up on this is sunday roast where i will have 2- 3 small potatoes

Maybe try dropping or reducing the caffeine and see if that helps. Has to be worth a try.

Reactions: 2 people

paul_round

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Give it a month of lchf, no grain/product, potato and sugar stuff ..
It takes 3 weeks for the met to kick in.

Don't forget to keep healthy fat in your diet
Yeah, done all that, week 4 of met. Having looked over the forums, I'm now wondering if I'm type 1.5, I've never been overweight, never eaten sweet things, no fizzy drinks, etc, or am aI being paranoid.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Go to Dr get the blood tests to tell.
You have halved your bg and you won't get a lot more from the met if 4 weeks on full dose, max effect is 3 mths.

Go through your diet to find the hidden carbs. And Google insulin resistance

Atkins induction diet and food list is easy to Google
That's what I would do in your situation..
In the interim, don't be afraid of seeing the Dr for more meds till you can get diet control as good as you can

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ps, see Dr about 2000 met.
And a pancreas hammer drug if needed
Hopefully a lot of this is insulin resistance and not burnt out pancreas cells

Last edited by a moderator:

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I agree with jack412. You'd be well advised to check for hidden carbs and inform yourself. But a talk with your GP and tests is a very good idea. Other than that for one week I would:

• Test yourself immediately on rising.
  • Then test before and after meals. No snacking and stimulating drinks such as coffee only as part of a meal.
  • Keeping a very careful note of what you ate. If your salad includes shop-bought dressing read the label - might be a lot of sugar there. Similarly have a look at your salads you'd be surprised at how high carb some things can be helpful list here: Low-Carb Vegetables List
  • Take gentle exercise after each meal. By gentle I mean something like a walk see here for details: An easy walk lowers blood sugar level
It's a little surprising you're not a bit lower but to halve it in a month is good going and there can be all sorts of complicating factors. Lots of coffee for example. Or in my case the fact that I was on chemo when first diagnosed and anyway have CPS. I also drink a lot of very strong (percolator made) black coffee. It took me ages to get my sugars down but once there they've stayed there. I say all this because there's a variety of possible complicating factors to investigate including that if you're not overweight it can be that you're one of those people whose bodies store fat in awkward places such as your pancreas. Let us know how you get on and good luck with it.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Do you have it black or with milk or cream?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Depending how much you get through there may be a good few more g of carbs there. Cream would be better.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Paul, as you have never been overweight then Late onset T1 (LADA or T1.5) becomes possible. This is even more likely if you are still young'ish. Ask the GP for the two tests that can help confirm LADA i.e. GAD and c-peptide. My diabetes GP wouldn't budge from my 'T2' diagnosis so I paid for the tests privately and which showed the very low level of insulin I had via the c-peptide test. If you are a LADA but haven't progressed too far yet then the GP may add Gliclazide to your meds to stimulate remaining islet cells

paul_round

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, my only comment would be how my doctor, (or diabetes nurse) reacts to me asking for specific tests, for example they had never heard of the LCHF diet!

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cream is LC, milk isn't

I had no idea about milk! I've been drinking a pint each morning - according to my carb scanner that's around 20g of carbs. I didn't scan it as I thought with it being a naturally sourced liquid carbs wouldn't enter into the equation. How wrong I was!

Hmmm what other pesky hidden carbs are lurking in my kitchen ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ok, my only comment would be how my doctor, (or diabetes nurse) reacts to me asking for specific tests, for example they had never heard of the LCHF diet!

Tell 'em to go away and do some research and you can mark their homework. Diabetes is growing in significance all the time in health care, it's about time the practitioners knew more about it.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
They are your medical team not your bosses.
I never get this they are somehow above the rest of us.
Don't treat them any different than any other service provider ... The Post Office ... Sky ... BnQ .
I don't think you'd be worrying about explaining to those people what you want them to do with your phone your tv set up or your patio set and that's all unimportant stuff they are dealing with .... on the other hand your doctors are dealing with your very life ....