Changing from HCLF to LCHF and adjusting insulin - South Africa

felicity1904

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, have been a type 1 Diabetic for 30+ years, I have always battled with weight since they put me onto insulin and gave me a high carb diet. My hypos when I eat carbs get very bad. I have researched a bit on the net and want to try LCHF instead, but am worried about what to do with reducing insulin. I do not have access to modern thinking doctors. I currently inject both Bolus and Basal insulin and was wondering how those of you who have changed to LCHF have found it.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, have been a type 1 Diabetic for 30+ years, I have always battled with weight since they put me onto insulin and gave me a high carb diet. My hypos when I eat carbs get very bad. I have researched a bit on the net and want to try LCHF instead, but am worried about what to do with reducing insulin. I do not have access to modern thinking doctors. I currently inject both Bolus and Basal insulin and was wondering how those of you who have changed to LCHF have found it.
Do you use ratios per carbs for your bolus? Basically, how many units of insulin you need for specific amount of carbs. If you do that you can simply calculate your bolus dose based on how many carbs you eat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have your basal dose right, that should remain the same. The theory of basal insulin is that it should keep your blood sugars at a constant level without outside interference (e.g. Food or exercise). For some people following low carb, 1 unit of bolus for every 20g of protein works pretty well (I tend to do this, as well as 1 unit for the 10-12g of carbohydrate I typically have with a meal). Perhaps go on the side of caution with your insulin at first, in the short term a couple of days of running at 8-10 won't do lasting damage. Keep a source of glucose on you at all times as well, and test as regularly as you can.

Reactions: 3 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm... I had to reduce my basal as I reduced carbs. I guess we are all different.

Best idea is to keep on top of basal testing whilst you are changing carb intake.

Reactions: 2 people