Diabetic Low Carber's I need your advice

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've now started to feel dizzy, lightheaded and moody after starting LCHF. I've been having; defrosted raspberries, natural yoghurt and mixed nuts for breakfast, for lunch eggs and bacon, for dinner sliced peppers with steak and I've been snacking on nuts and seeds. I've been quenching my hunger with fridge cold water and that doesn't seem to help the hunger pains, also my BS levels have been in the low teens since in the morning and gradually decreases. I have already started to feel the side effects of the orlistat and undecided on whether I should stop taking them.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello akindrat. Im curious, if you are following a low carb high fat diet how can you take orlistat? That is designed to rid your body of fat. If you eat too much fat at each meal you experience very unpleasant side effects. If you cutting carbs and fats where do you get energy from?

danielt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think this could be (excluding your meds as I am not a medic) a bit of detox for your reducing your carbs. If you ate bread pasta and the rest you would feel fine but please don't do it! I read that on this forum somewhere! After a few days you will feel better. My OH is the diabetic and I or we are trying to reduce gradually I am convinced he is or rather we are addicted to sugar. Try and be strong but I know it's easier said than done...it's a daily struggle but the later life complications are just not worth it. Trouble is what you do today will effect you in years to come and then it's too late it would be easier in some ways in my humble opinion if the effects were in someway immediate as a real warning to stop you/one falling off the wagon!

This is something I repeat to my OH in the hope he will listen...eventually!

As I said I am no medic and a real newbie who is trying to learn too!!

Good luck!
Tracey

Oops I posted before mo53 not sure how the timings work but clearly mo53 understands the med side!

Last edited by a moderator:

sweetisha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just start LCHF i did a month ago and i don't want to stop .. I've lost 10 kilo's and my body tells me its happy.. i don't have pain anymore from eating fruit or other foods that give acid reflux etc..
full milk, yogurt, butter, cream, clotted cream, cheese, alot of greek turkish style cheese, and no bread, no wheat, sometimes oats cooked with milk and cinnamon, no sweeteners... i put a banana in smoothies which is sweet to taste and my doctors are very happy and told me to continue.. i dont get hungry anymore or get cravings everything has changed.. i just went for it and cooked meat and chicken bones, and fat with a little meat on... for 1 or 2 days and use that broth to make soups or added flavour to meals.. I feel great and don't miss a thing from my old diet...
Tisha

Reactions: 2 people

BJR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds great, I couldn't eat oats without BSL going up a bit so I opt for no grain whatsoever, seed flours are fine though , no more insulin and no drugs at all, love it.

Reactions: 2 people

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have fallen of the LCHF diet after having to stay in hospital for a month, due to a car accident that happened me to just after the beginning of August and during my time I've had nothing but carbs. Now I'm finding it a struggle to get back on the LCHF diet and on top of that I'm going to back to uni and will most likely get dragged out to bars and clubs for a few drinks every night for the next 2 weeks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have fallen of the LCHF diet after having to stay in hospital for a month, due to a car accident that happened me to just after the beginning of August and during my time I've had nothing but carbs. Now I'm finding it a struggle to get back on the LCHF diet and on top of that I'm going to back to uni and will most likely get dragged out to bars and clubs for a few drinks every night for the next 2 weeks.

Sorry to hear about your accident and stay in hospital. Hospital food has a lot to answer to.
Get back on that waggon. The longer you leave it, the worse it will be.

Reactions: 3 people