Wanting to try LCHF but worried about how to lower insulin currently on. - In south africa

felicity1904

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have been a type 1 diabetic for 30 years. I have always battled with hypos and have also accumulated weight and no matter what it seems to never drop. I have also noted many times that eating carbs actually gets my hypos up. I have more hypo when i snack in evening than when i don't. In any case, after watching lots on the net about LCHF I am wanting to try this. I do not have a medical aid which means it is very difficult for me to access good doctors on a regular basis. I am wondering how those of you who have changed to very low carb have reduced insulin etc. I currently take Bolus x 3 a day and Basal x 1.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First think I would do is a refresher
A free online course and work books
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/newly-diagnosed.60873/#post-583801

Next would be basal testing to make sure they are right
I would put up a post on the T1 thread for the lchf guys to see.

When you cut carbs, they say you bolus for the carb and 50% of protein

You replace the lost calories from carb with healthy fat,oil

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Putting on weight under insulin means you are eating too many carbs. Yes, as these are reduced you will need to reduce your insulin. First, keep the Basal right. A rough guide is to have a fasting level between 5 - 7 mmol but there are more accurate checks you can do during the night. Once you have the Basal right then you adjust the Bolus ratio as needed. When you reduce excess weight blood sugar swings will reduce due to less insulin and less insulin resistance. This will help reduce hypos.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Felicity

It might be worth reducing your carbs gradually to see how you get on.

Try going for 150 grams a day for a few weeks and if that's OK then drop to 120 and so on until you are at a level you're happy with. That will probably also help you get used to how much insulin you need as you reduce down.