Type 1- exercise - high blood sugar afterwards?

Jovifreak

Hi, I have type 1 and take Lantus and Humalog. I started to take Metformin a few months ago in the hope that i'd be able to reduce the amount of insulin i take to help with weight loss.

I've just joined the gym and have noticed on 2 occasions this week a higher blood sugar following the work out than i had before - Tonight before going my bm was 7.1, afterwards it was 11.3. The same happened a could of days ago too. I drink plenty of water and don't take any carbs during or following the gym - surely my bm should be going down not up?

Can anybody help me understand this ?

Diane

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you undertake strenuous exercise then your liver dumps glucose into the bloodstream raising your BG levels. If you exercise more sedately, then your muscles take the glucose they require directly from the bloodstream therefore reducing the BG levels. At least that's the theory.

Reactions: 4 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's just as my friend @julifriend says - I when your heart rate rises significantly you can get a stress response within your body that triggers your liver to release glucose into the bloodstream.
A way to manage this is to combine more moderate exercise with the higher intensity exercise - particularly as you are coming to the end of your workout. In this way you can bring your heart rate back down but still be working your muscles so that they are still sucking up all that extra glucose.
Don't let it put you off - there are more health benefits with higher intensity exercise, so it's worth persevering.:)
For more info, you could take a look at: http://www.teambloodglucose.com/TeamBG/Questions_-_explained_Vigorous.html

Reactions: 2 people