Downward slope????????

Richard0804

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't suffer fools gladly. I cant stand people who constantly go on about their illness or problems. Hey You're ill or have a problem. GET ON WITH IT. Don't bother me.
Type II for last 10 years, tried all of the medication, changed diet, cant lose enough weight, numbers are all over the place. No matter how I try to lose weight it stays there, I test BS's three or four times a day they are all over the place. 8.7 to 18.7 in the space of a day. What's the point????????????????????????????????????
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Carbs are what sends our BS high no major carbs no big swings. So you must be eating major carbs.

Make a game of it, there are endless LC (low carbs) recipes on the net and I have bought electrical appliances to make it easy. Not only but also high and low BS makes us hungry so you will end up less hungry. It is pretty much guaranteed that you will lose weight on no major carbs and slow is much better than fast.

Reactions: 3 people

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could you post what you eat and a set of BS readings over a couple of days and times for both, to help people comment?

Reactions: 2 people

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
I did blood tests a lot when I went on it about 14 weeks ago and my detailed record will not post properly but here is a precis it was done while coming off insulin from 130 units per day now I am on zero insulin.
1/4/2014 1 am 5.9 5.30 am 6.6 6.30 am 5.6 10.30 am 7.2 6 pm 9.1 8,30.pm 6.9 10.30 pm 5.9
2/4/2014 2.30 am 5.4 7.30 am 7.5 12 30 pm 5.8 6 pm 7.8 9 pm 9.6

At this point I was down from 130 total units of insulin per day to 16 units and because of the 9 pm 9.6 I took another 6 units of novarapid. insulin.

I did not record meal times but they are mostly to see what I needed to Jab = with meals.
The last readings on my meter are
6.9 8.9 5.8 7.7 8.3 7.9 6.4 5.8

After 3 months on lo-carb my Hb1C was 6.3 and previously with insulin it was 6.9 7.0 7.0 7.0

What I eat now is a wide range of tasty foods but when I started I tried to find what level of carbs I could tolerate (what sent me high) Breakfast was diet jelly and a small serve of Kellogs all bran or bacon and eggs or leftovers and even home made soup and flat bread.. Lunch was salad with tinned fish or ham. Dinner varied but we had a lot of stir fries and BBQs But no potato pumpkin and zucchini instead, no rice, no noodles no bread. I made flat bread and cup cakes from 1/3 wheat flour and 2/3 nut flour and chocolate rum balls from almond flour. I had 1 or 2 pieces of fruit and I got through a lot of nuts.

My idea now is to make it fun and sustainable and the slower my weight loss the better. I like to make it easy too every second day I make cupcakes with filling in them like sweetened mixed berries so I use an electric pie maker and for the flat bread I use an electric sandwich press and we have just bought and not used yet a slow cooking pot because we have found some great lo carb recipes and cooked them on our stove. (a lot of wasted power slow cooking on a stove)

Sometimes we have crumbed frozen chicken or sausage (no fat) cooked in the flat sandwich press with veg cooked in the microwave.

I have always par cooked veg in the microwave so they BBQ in the same time as the meat.

Occasionally we have corned beef and last time we made fritters with the left over meat using nut flour but usually we do this one It tastes brilliant.

I mash tinned baked beans and mix in lots of curry and peanut butter and ginger and sweetener and add water to a gravy consistency then add the diced corned beef and par cooked chunky cut cabbage. Final cook in the microwave. You will be surprised how easy it is and there is no hint that there is baked beans in it.

You can do some variants with other cooked meat and onion and any left over veg etc.

The net has lots of meat in slow cooker recipe variants using packet onion soup and tin cream of mushroom (stuff like that) plus diet soda orange or coke so we are going to fiddle about with some . Of course you can add veg to these but not potato or sweet potato.

My son makes this chocolate cake in a soup dish.

• chocolate lovers can enjoy low carb desserts, too! If chocolate is your thing, you can make a low carb, three-minute chocolate cake. In a large glass measuring cup, mix together ¼ cup almond flour, one tablespoon cocoa, ¼ teaspoon baking powder, three tablespoons Splenda, two tablespoons melted butter, one tablespoon water, and one egg. Cover the measuring cup with plastic wrap, cut a small slit in it, and microwave on high for one to two minutes or until the cake looks set but still moist. If you enjoyed this, try out our other low carb cake options or our advice on low carb brownies!

I hope that works for you.

Reactions: 5 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Ooo I envy you being able to eat baked beans, I do miss them.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ooo I envy you being able to eat baked beans, I do miss them.
Baked beans are a small part of the dish.

When I make the sartay recipe above we get 6 good sized servings and that uses one tin of baked beans .

So baked beans accounts for 1/6 of a tin per serve. It depends on how hot etc you like it but we like it hot/spicy and the non diabetics have a slice of toast with it. I have nut flour flat bread and I cook that in our sandwich press toaster.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I will try again, try the low sugar variety and strain the juice before serving. That's what I do. No difference on my BSLs.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It depends on the T2 level you are at.

As your weight comes down your sugar tolerance goes up..

If you have lost a considerable amount of weight then you should test your tolerance level again. Remembering it is total load that counts so serving size or what you eat with it can make a difference.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I will try again, try the low sugar variety and strain the juice before serving. That's what I do. No difference on my BSLs.
Nah the whole point of baked beans is the sauce, otherwise they are bland. That's why beans are served in something. try eating lentils (which I cant now) without turmeric etc as in dahl.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Richard. Just looked at your profile; sad story. I suspect you know that the only thing that is going to help you lose weight and blood sugar is to reduce the carbs which will not be easy if you enjoy baking. Set yourself a daily limit of, say, 150gm or even less. Basically go as low as you need to to get both weight and sugar on the downward trend. I'm sure it will mean changing recipes on a lot of things but start with no added sugar in any cakes. There's the nice chocolate cake from one of the posters and my wife makes Molly cake (Google it) which just relies on the sugar from the currants. Hopefully you can get to the point where the Victoza can be stopped and it will be easier to determine the right medication onwards. Blood sugar swings should be less once the insulin resistance has been greatly reduced. The good news is that protein and fats aren't the real problem which means the recipes don't need to be too restrictive. In all of this, I'm assuming any other meds besides Met and Victoza you take don't conflict with any of the advice.

Richard0804

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't suffer fools gladly. I cant stand people who constantly go on about their illness or problems. Hey You're ill or have a problem. GET ON WITH IT. Don't bother me.
Hi Richard. Just looked at your profile; sad story. I suspect you know that the only thing that is going to help you lose weight and blood sugar is to reduce the carbs which will not be easy if you enjoy baking. Set yourself a daily limit of, say, 150gm or even less. Basically go as low as you need to to get both weight and sugar on the downward trend. I'm sure it will mean changing recipes on a lot of things but start with no added sugar in any cakes. There's the nice chocolate cake from one of the posters and my wife makes Molly cake (Google it) which just relies on the sugar from the currants. Hopefully you can get to the point where the Victoza can be stopped and it will be easier to determine the right medication onwards. Blood sugar swings should be less once the insulin resistance has been greatly reduced. The good news is that protein and fats aren't the real problem which means the recipes don't need to be too restrictive. In all of this, I'm assuming any other meds besides Met and Victoza you take don't conflict with any of the advice.

Many Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I promise I will try them all except the chocolate cake. Cant stand chocolate......lol.... Other meds?? I take a total of 47 tablets a day plus an injection of Victoza at night. Yes you've read that correctly. 47 tabs a day....

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could you post what you eat and a set of BS readings over a couple of days and times for both, to help people comment?
Hi Richard, if you are finding it difficult please could you post some information for specific advice?

Richard0804

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Richard, if you are finding it difficult please could you post some information for specific advice?
Hi mojo_101
Yesterday I was prescribed insulin for the first time. My HBA1C is 85 the same as 3 months ago, the Victoza 1.2 mg was not doing anything for me. I am used to it, after having taken it for 3 years, Metformin SR and Gliclizide to be carried on with.
I took my BS at 9.30hrs today (sat) it was 16.1 at 12.30hrs 18.7 at 15,00hrs it was 21.0 at 18.30 hrs it was 21.7 at 22.15hrs it was 22.6. They just keep on going up. That cant be right????
For breakfast I had 75 grms of All Bran Flakes with semi skimmed milk and a mug of tea with 2 sweeteners, for lunch I had a whole dressed Crab with a side salad and a small dish of crunchy chips,. Desert was a slice of Summer fruits and apple crumble and a tiny jug of custard and a small glass of Diet Coke.
For supper I had 2 slices of Tiger bread with butter on and a mug of tea with 2 sweeteners.
The Crab was a special treat I was taken out for lunch.

Where oh where am I going wrong??? Is it my diet??

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hello Richard @Richard0804 all the old hands will tell you to cut the carbs.

Anything made from grain, any type of sugar potatoes and sweet potato and limited fruit. Some make up the difference with extra veg (me) others swear by Hi Fat to make up the difference. I am under medical supervised lo carb and I do not count carbs or cals others can tell you what they do. I have gone from 130 units insulin down to zero and 4 tabs.

It is not difficult you just have to find alternatives and it is more fun if you make a game of it. (chase up recipes etc)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Interesting! You need to go back to experimentation I am afraid. It is obvious that your current foods arent working for you.
Hi mojo_101
Yesterday I was prescribed insulin for the first time. My HBA1C is 85 the same as 3 months ago, the Victoza 1.2 mg was not doing anything for me. I am used to it, after having taken it for 3 years, Metformin SR and Gliclizide to be carried on with.
I took my BS at 9.30hrs today (sat) it was 16.1 at 12.30hrs 18.7 at 15,00hrs it was 21.0 at 18.30 hrs it was 21.7 at 22.15hrs it was 22.6. They just keep on going up. That cant be right????
For breakfast I had 75 grms of All Bran Flakes with semi skimmed milk and a mug of tea with 2 sweeteners, for lunch I had a whole dressed Crab with a side salad and a small dish of crunchy chips,. Desert was a slice of Summer fruits and apple crumble and a tiny jug of custard and a small glass of Diet Coke.
For supper I had 2 slices of Tiger bread with butter on and a mug of tea with 2 sweeteners.
The Crab was a special treat I was taken out for lunch.

Where oh where am I going wrong??? Is it my diet??

Here is what I would drop from your diet immediately:
75 grms of All Bran Flakes - try a good old english fry up - eggs, bacon, sausage (get a high meat content variety)
small dish of crunchy chips - just have the salad and maybe add some fat in the form of cheese
What was your crab dressed in?
Desert was a slice of Summer fruits and apple crumble and a tiny jug of custard - oh my I am not surprised you hit the 20s - try nuts and a few raspberries/blueberries - replace custard with cream

Have a look at the LCHF section of the forum - it sounds like you have hit the end of the NHS "Heathy Plate" options. No guarantees in life I am afraid. Low Carb may work for you it may not. While you are at it try to reduce your calorie intake substantially for a couple of months (I did about 800cals and exercise) and went down over 3 stone. If you decide to change your diet be careful of the medication you are on as it, it all likelihood, will need adjusting.

Richard0804

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Interesting! You need to go back to experimentation I am afraid. It is obvious that your current foods arent working for you.

Here is what I would drop from your diet immediately:
75 grms of All Bran Flakes - try a good old english fry up - eggs, bacon, sausage (get a high meat content variety)
small dish of crunchy chips - just have the salad and maybe add some fat in the form of cheese
What was your crab dressed in?
Desert was a slice of Summer fruits and apple crumble and a tiny jug of custard - oh my I am not surprised you hit the 20s - try nuts and a few raspberries/blueberries - replace custard with cream

Have a look at the LCHF section of the forum - it sounds like you have hit the end of the NHS "Heathy Plate" options. No guarantees in life I am afraid. Low Carb may work for you it may not. While you are at it try to reduce your calorie intake substantially for a couple of months (I did about 800cals and exercise) and went down over 3 stone. If you decide to change your diet be careful of the medication you are on as it, it all likelihood, will need adjusting.

Hi Andrew
The fry up I can manage...lol... the salad instead of crunchy chips?... Yeah.. OK... This is going to be hard??? The bit that I know is going to be impossible is the 'nuts and a few raspberries/blueberries'. I have never liked most fruit especially berries, is the a substitute? Replace the custard with cream.... easy. Basically a total re-structuring of my diet. That is going to take some getting used to, but I have to 'give it a go'.
Many Thanks for your most valuable input.
Best Regards.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hello @Richard0804 lo carb custard is easy just make a standard egg custard but use fake sugar.

I made flat bread then toasted it until it is crunchy I used 1/2 wholemeal flour and half coconut flour and grated cheese. I am going to have another go with 1/3 wholemeal flour 2/3 coconut flour it needs some wheat flour to stick it together. I might try some coconut "pastry" in the deep fryer.for a bit of crunch. I just did it and it came out ****.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have never liked most fruit especially berries, is the a substitute?
Best Regards.

I do 2 squares of 81% chocolate. Or a small scoop of good quality icecream. You could make your own using sweetners. I also make muffins using ground almonds (really low carb and yummy). My latest is very rich unsweetened dark choc icecream.

By the way I have replaced some of my chips with fried sweet potato chips. They can be a little difficult to get right but worth it. I was introduced to them in a restaurant originally.

There are lots of different alternatives to flour/sugar you just have to be inventive ((Low Carb section has lots of recipes like @forge mentioned above). Once you get your levels back in control you may be able to reintroduce a small amount of things you find you are missing. I must admit though that I have awakened taste buds I didnt know I had and really sweet things are rather sickly now.

Richard0804

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello @Richard0804 lo carb custard is easy just make a standard egg custard but use fake sugar.

I made flat bread then toasted it until it is crunchy I used 1/2 wholemeal flour and half coconut flour and grated cheese. I am going to have another go with 1/3 wholemeal flour 2/3 coconut flour it needs some wheat flour to stick it together. I might try some coconut "pastry" in the deep fryer.for a bit of crunch. I just did it and it came out ****.

Are the different flours readily available?? Where can I purchase them?? I've never heard of 'coconut flour'.