Fingers

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Not sure how to put this...but erm is there anyway to stop the little scabbings on fingers from testing....my fingers are covered in them...well the sides haha and sometimes it makes it hard to get any blood out! x

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rotate the use of which fingers you use :)
10 fingers = 20 sides to test from, and gives a lesser chance of callouses and sore bits building up . Also , keep your hands well moisturised;)

Signy

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Rotate the use of which fingers you use :)
10 fingers = 20 sides to test from, and gives a lesser chance of callouses and sore bits building up . Also , keep your hands well moisturised;)

Signy
I was told not to use the thumb and the finger next to the thumb :S

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you - that's interesting. I was never told that, and have been testing index fingers and thumbs for years and years, thankfully with no ill effects :) Possibly because of the rotation of fingers anyway .. There's quite a few things now that you are told to do or not to do , that wasn't told us back in the Dark Ages of vials , syringes and the most horrible finger pricker ever seen:eek: (There;s a picture of one somewhere on the forums )

Signy

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you - that's interesting. I was never told that, and have been testing index fingers and thumbs for years and years, thankfully with no ill effects :) Possibly because of the rotation of fingers anyway .. There's quite a few things now that you are told to do or not to do , that wasn't told us back in the Dark Ages of vials , syringes and the most horrible finger pricker ever seen:eek: (There;s a picture of one somewhere on the forums )

Signy

You must remember the golden days of vague home testing by dropping a tab in a test tube of pee & water..??
Finger pricking was a treat at the hospital.... Lol

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Move to the next segment down, between first and second knuckle
The pad on the side of the palm up from your little finger

Last edited by a moderator:

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You must remember the golden days of vague home testing by dropping a tab in a test tube of pee & water..??
Finger pricking was a treat at the hospital.... Lol

Ah yes - in it's plastic beige box (well mine was !) Clinitest wasn't it ? Jaylee, was it you who posted up the photo of the guillotine type lancet device ? The one many of us just didn't bother with and stabbed away with the lancet ?

Signy

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah yes - in it's plastic beige box (well mine was !) Clinitest wasn't it ? Jaylee, was it you who posted up the photo of the guillotine type lancet device ? The one many of us just didn't bother with and stabbed away with the lancet ?

Signy

That's right..! It was in a compartmentalised box with space either side for the test tube & dropper.
The centre compartment had the jar of test tabs..
I didn't post the guillotine pricker pic. But I do remember it... & yes I used to drive the lancet in manually much to the annoyance of my D consultant at the time.... Lol, as long as the means justified the end....!?

iHs

Although uxing the Aimes Clinitest kit meant weeing in a jug over the toilet and drawing up 5 drops of wee with 5 drops of water and putting a tablet in the tube and watch it change colour, there was no pain to fingertips, just a bit of time needed. Clinistix strips on the otherhand, were a dream come true.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Although uxing the Aimes Clinitest kit meant weeing in a jug over the toilet and drawing up 5 drops of wee with 5 drops of water and putting a tablet in the tube and watch it change colour, there was no pain to fingertips, just a bit of time needed. Clinistix strips on the otherhand, were a dream come true.

They were indeed the "future" at that time... But try & match the Dulux colour chart with a hypo at 4am... Lol
I have no issue with blood tests.. "Water sports" was never my bag..! ;) Giggity.!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Also make sure that the lancing device is set at the lowest setting, but enough to draw blood.

D

Deleted member 83869

They were indeed the "future" at that time... But try & match the Dulux colour chart with a hypo at 4am... Lol
I have no issue with blood tests.. "Water sports" was never my bag..! ;) Giggity.!
I am so confused with all of this ahhaha....but now they have come up with testing your glucose in your eyes....how times have changed lol!!

Must remember to get some more hand cream! X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

iHs

Another thought is prick the bottom of the earlobe to draw blood. Weirdly, its painless. The arm is also painless but tends to mark a bit and might not be as accurate as pricking the finger. The palm of the hand is ok at the base of the fingers. The back of the hand at the bottom of the nails can also be used but would need only a tiny prick to drsw blood (1 or 2 level).

D

Deleted member 83869

Another thought is prick the bottom of the earlobe to draw blood. Weirdly, its painless. The arm is also painless but tends to mark a bit and might not be as accurate as pricking the finger. The palm of the hand is ok at the base of the fingers. The back of the hand at the bottom of the nails can also be used but would need only a tiny prick to drsw blood (1 or 2 level).
Thank you all will give them ago!x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.

Signy

I'm sure they just gave my mum a box of carpet tacks from the local hardware store when I first started stabbing (1980). :jimlad:

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
pinkie has always been my favourite finger for testing! Was bleeders lol