Type 2 Why oh why???

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Home glucose meters are required to be within 20% of the true reading for 95% of the readings. In other words, 1 in 20 readings is likely to be way out.
Quality of capilliary blood sample is often an issue whilst skin contamination is also frequent.. Poor calibration of meter is yet another issue.

When I get readings higher than expected, I always do another test on another finger. Sometimes I do a third as well. Mostly you get to see some sort of pattern emerging.

See how it goes. It has happened to most of us at sometime or other. I even had an 'Out of Range' message once.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with Andy that Late onset T1 is always worth bearing in mind if you are normal weight and not controlling your blood sugar assuming you are low-carbing. I suspect you may need to go onto some meds such as Metformin at least. How old are you?

K

koukla

I'll refuse medication. I'm rattling already. I'm just coming up to 63 but didn't really want the world to know that.

K

koukla

Just been speaking to my daughter about this and she said she's pretty sure that if I was Type 1 I'd have a raging thirst but I certainly haven't.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you get the thirst because you are dehydrated, and you get dehydrated because your widdling a lot.
The reason for that is that when the blood sugar gets too high, the kidneys start filtering it out of the blood stream and dumping it in the urine.

This happens if the blood sugar rises above 10 (ish).

If your levels stay below that, no excess urination, and no thirst...

K

koukla

No. I'm not thirsty and I think I go to the loo more than I used to years ago but I'm not going in the night although need to go as soon as I get up in a morning.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
I'm eating exactly as I was eating when I reduced from HbA1C of 49 to 39. I'm genuinely bewildered.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
What was on the menu over the past 24 hours in excruciating detail, including drinks, snacks and sides? When did you test related to those meals and what numbers did you see?

K

koukla

Good job I use MyFitnessPal is all I can say.
Breakfast : 1 slice Hovis Granary Wholemeal bread spread with 1 teaspoon Sunpat Smooth Peanut Butter.

Mid morning : 6 almonds.

Lunch: 2 boiled eggs

Mid afternoon : 6 almonds

Dinner : 125gms Tesco less than 5% fat minced beef with onions and mushrooms, broccoli and cauliflower.

Drinks: Knightsbridge Very Berry tea as and when I want. Only 2 calories per teabag. I always drink 6 large glasses of water per day.

I test as advised by my hospital Consultant. Always upon waking. One day it's then before lunch, the next day before dinner and the next day before bed. This happened on the test before bed day.

On waking it was 6.0 Before bed it was over 10.

I'd never had a figure that high before, not even when I was first diagnosed.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
Good job I use MyFitnessPal is all I can say.
Breakfast : 1 slice Hovis Granary Wholemeal bread spread with 1 teaspoon Sunpat Smooth Peanut Butter.

Mid morning : 6 almonds.

Lunch: 2 boiled eggs

Mid afternoon : 6 almonds

Dinner : 125gms Tesco less than 5% fat minced beef with onions and mushrooms, broccoli and cauliflower.

Drinks: Knightsbridge Very Berry tea as and when I want. Only 2 calories per teabag. I always drink 6 large glasses of water per day.

I test as advised by my hospital Consultant. Always upon waking. One day it's then before lunch, the next day before dinner and the next day before bed. This happened on the test before bed day.

On waking it was 6.0 Before bed it was over 10.

I'd never had a figure that high before, not even when I was first diagnosed.
That was a very low carb day, but I am sure you are aware of that. However, it was also a very low calorie day. Do you feel fatigued?

Consider testing about an hour after each meal and snack to see if you can pinpoint when the numbers start rising. Your present testing routine is too random to achieve that.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just so you can consider other causes of your tiredness, I will post my list of possible physical causes
  1. Underactive Thyroid
  2. High blood sugars
  3. Iron deficiency anaemia
  4. Vitamin D deficiency
  5. Vitamin B12 deficiency
  6. Depression
  7. Stress
  8. Sleep Apnea
  9. Not getting enough sleep or good quality sleep

K

koukla

Yes Alan S, I know. I avoid carbs like the plague because of both the sugar and the calories. I've lost over 3 stones now. I'd put on weight since I had a Stroke in 2008 and had to stop exercise. I want to lose just another half stone to take me to 8st 10lbs which is good for me at 5' 2 and a half. I'm terribly fatigued. For example, I woke just before 6 this morning. Went to the loo, had a cup of Berry tea and then went back to sleep until 10am. I'll try your testing regime. Thank you.

K

koukla

)) Denise((..... it's going to sound like I've been there, done that, but I honestly have. I have an Underactive thyroid which is now supposedly treated sufficiently well. Blood sugars are not that high but for the rogue one, I take a GP prescribed VitD capsule every morning (was on monthly injections previously), I have an injection every 3 weeks for Pernicious Anaemia so that deals with the B12, I also take a Folic acid tablet. I could well be depressed, not sure, but I would put that down to the constant ill health bit I feel happy enough apart from the occasional despair due to the diabetes. I'm not stressed at all. I've done the Sleep tests a couple of times and both were fine. I think I've just demonstrated that I get more than enough sleep but I can't know the quality of it apart from going by the results I had from the rests which, as mentioned previously, were apparently fine.

K

koukla

Sorry, I've just realised I missed out the Iron deficiency. When I had my 2nd Stroke last year the Stroke Clinic said my iron was 15.3 which is more than you would find in most makes and that was when she took me off the small Aspirin and put me on Clopidogrel as my blood is sticky and also changed my Simvastatin to the highest dose they can give, of Atorvastatin.

K

koukla

I've been quiet and concentrating on my diet which I haven't changed since I was doing so well and getting praise for at GP diabetic clinic. I now give up. I can't control my glucose levels anymore and believe me I've tried. I really need help, I suspect from a medic but I don't see the Consultant until September 30. I've had enough.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Sorry that you are feeling so down. I hope someone here can offer you some advice.

K

koukla

Still batting on but now 4 stones lost in weight and becoming increasingly small and increasingly exhausted with glucose levels still not going down. The end of September seems so far away.

C

catherinecherub

Hi,

Ring the Hospital where the consultant is based and ask to be put through to his/her secretary.

Explain to her how frustrated and depressed you are and ask if you can be seen earlier. You might get an earlier appointment as she has access to his appointments.

Reactions: 2 people
K

koukla

Well I did try but couldn't get my appointment brought forward due to clinics being chockablock. So.... I've kept quiet as I had the distinct impression that I was p'ing people off on here. I've still got another nearly 3 weeks until my appointment and had my highest reading this morning. Fine when I woke.... 5.8 but 2 hours after a slice of granary wholemeal bread with peanut butter, I was at 10.6 and now at 4 hours after, I'm at 10.8. I'm really not optimistic and my weight continues to drop, so much so that when my son came last week, after not seeing me for a week, he was very shocked and concerned at how I'd changed in that week. This is a 31 year old intelligent man we're talking about, not a child. I quite simply don't know where to turn. Exhausted!!!