Oh dear, this was unexpected

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your infatuation seems a direct result of your unhappiness with your husband. It is much easier to imagine someone new treating us with respect, admiration and caring than it is to face the difficulties of our reality. You deserve to be happy. You deserve to be treated with respect. Marriage is a partnership. Your are in a submissive role to your husband which is unfair and unkind. You need to sit him down and explain why and how you are dissatisfied with your life together. The fact that you love him makes marriage worth fighting for but you cannot go on living a life where you feel so put upon and overburdened. You owe it to yourself to fix this. If your husband refuses to meet you half way and continues to put his feelings constantly before yours then serious questions will have to be addressed. Hopefully, once he realises that you are truly unhappy he will wake up to the situation he has created. The young man is a fun and exciting way to avoid dealing with your life.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
My plan is to enjoy this young man´s company until he leaves us and start to sort my marriage when things slow down in late summer, for the moment I work around 60 hours per week and then on top of that is the household to run and things hubby needs help with so I just haven't got the time for any upheaval. I just work and work and cook and do the shopping and go for a daily swim. So yes I avoid dealing with my life, just have to get through the next couple of weeks or so.

And I do enjoy talking to and working with my young helpmate and it helps me see what I want from a relationship that I now feel is missing.

Reactions: 6 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. I only wish I could get some compassion out of hubby instead of all this feeling sorry for himself for the unreasonable demands he feels I make. I only want to share my life with him, hubby that is, not being treated like a housekeeper and secretary mould into one.

To my mind, therein lies the problem.
When you are overworked, tired, undervalued and taken for granted and someone sees you as a human being instead of a minion, it's easy enough to fall for them. Resentment builds up, and if you are not careful to nip the home situation in the bud it can spiral out of control. And the Gods like a laugh! Throw a bit of temptation in to your way , just to make things interesting ;)

It sounds to me that you and hubby need to have a frank chat, or even a bl**dy good row to get things back to normal. In his case, it's easy enough for someone who has had a health scare to become utterly self absorbed without knowing that they are. If nothing else, this summer with the eye candy will become a fond memory to look back on, with the warm glow that you could have...but didn't.

Best of luck to you, Totto .

Signy

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My plan is to enjoy this young man´s company until he leaves us and start to sort my marriage when things slow down in late summer, for the moment I work around 60 hours per week and then on top of that is the household to run and things hubby needs help with so I just haven't got the time for any upheaval. I just work and work and cook and do the shopping and go for a daily swim. So yes I avoid dealing with my life, just have to get through the next couple of weeks or so.

And I do enjoy talking to and working with my young helpmate and it helps me see what I want from a relationship that I now feel is missing.

I really feel for you.

I've been in this position twice (intense lust/adoration apparently unrequited, and paralysed by circumstances).

The first time was someone I worked with. He was passionately in love with his girlfriend, motorbikes and football, in roughly equal measures. I tried so hard to not let him know, that he probably thought I disliked him. All I wanted to do was push him up against the cold room door and ravish the guy. Still thought about him 2 years later, but when we accidentally met up in town, he was sooo **** ordinary. I was shocked.

The second time was for just one evening. The guy was a lodger in a house I visited with the most mouthwatering pair of jeans I have ever seen. Holes everywhere, and those legs... OMG.
I had to sit on my hands. Literally. I tucked them down the side of my chair to stop me investigating those holes. He ignored me completely for 2 hours, and was a bit of a jerk, but I wouldn't have needed him to talk. I never went round there again, until he moved out.

Goodness, that took me back. It is a delicious agony, isn't it?

And it must be so much worse for you Totto. Working together, alone, for hours.

I think I want you to enjoy it (if that is possible) while it lasts.
And I think your thought processes are really mature and awesomely realistic.
And then I want you to enjoy the memories of this summer (deliciously bittersweet) for ever, after your life goes back to normal.
Hug.

Reactions: 8 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
omg-omg-moments-28947388-800-554.jpg

Way too much info.
Sorry about that but is nice you know, you should try it.

Reactions: 3 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He/she is one of a kind.
Well done! You will have some lovely memories without the guilt. Hang on in there. The whole thing is very bittersweet. Maybe if you can get him to go, counselling would be the way forward. By the way, I prefer idiosyncratic to weird. Who wants to be mainstream anyway? Kramxx
Im not sure I understand the word idiosyncratic so looked it up but am no wiser. Hur skulle du över sätta original i den svenska betydelsen att man är ett original? Är idiosyncratic andvändbart?

And this thing much more sweet than bitter sweet, it is quite fun actually. But lovely memories to be sure and I will look up what counselling is available I think as I feel hubby isnt listening.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My lovely young French chef, he cooks a lot for us, mainly his mum´s recipes, didn't know who Kahlil Gibran was and had never heard of The Prophet. Have you read it? I think all young people should read him and many others too.

The reason we came to talk about it is that his youngest sibling, a seventeen yo sister will leave home soon and he thought his mum would worry herself sick having all her chicks out of the nest, my interpretation. So remembered Kahlil Gibran on children and looked it up and still think it is beautiful.

I have so far only managed to introduce him to Reginald Hill, first The Woodcutter and he retired with it and a dictionary and I didn't see much of him for two weeks, this was in early June. Now he is on his third Dalziel and Pascoe. I do want him to give The Ice House by Minette Walters a try but he seems rather taken by Hill.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't need people to make you happy, it comes from within. Be happy and happy people will gravitate to you:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Im not sure I understand the word idiosyncratic so looked it up but am no wiser. Hur skulle du över sätta original i den svenska betydelsen att man är ett original? Är idiosyncratic andvändbart?

And this thing much more sweet than bitter sweet, it is quite fun actually. But lovely memories to be sure and I will look up what counselling is available I think as I feel hubby isnt listening.
Idiosyncratic means a bit different, beats to a different drum, not the norm. A physiological or temperamental peculiarity. A person who does things in their own way.
Han är ett riktigt original - he is one of a kind.
Ordet idiosyncratic finns på svenska - idiosynkratisk.
Hoppas att det hjälper till!
Kram!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All I wanted to do was push him up against the cold room door and ravish the guy. Still thought about him 2 years later, but when we accidentally met up in town, he was sooo **** ordinary. I was shocked.

Fantasy is always better than reality. Always be the bookie, never the punter.

Reactions: 3 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No work today, spent a few hours at a beach on the east side of the island and took a walk among the cliffs too with my young friend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My lovely young French chef, he cooks a lot for us, mainly his mum´s recipes, didn't know who Kahlil Gibran was and had never heard of The Prophet. Have you read it? I think all young people should read him and many others too.

The reason we came to talk about it is that his youngest sibling, a seventeen yo sister will leave home soon and he thought his mum would worry herself sick having all her chicks out of the nest, my interpretation. So remembered Kahlil Gibran on children and looked it up and still think it is beautiful.

I have so far only managed to introduce him to Reginald Hill, first The Woodcutter and he retired with it and a dictionary and I didn't see much of him for two weeks, this was in early June. Now he is on his third Dalziel and Pascoe. I do want him to give The Ice House by Minette Walters a try but he seems rather taken by Hill.

Yes, I have a well thumbed Prophet on the shelf. It is doubly loved; the content and the friend who gave it to me.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No work today, spent a few hours at a beach on the east side of the island and took a walk among the cliffs too with my young friend.
Good!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably @Scandichick is the only one on here who will know what "nubbesallad" is but we had that today for dinner as it was too hot to cook or eat anything warmer than room temperature, that is 30 degrees C. It consists of matjees, a kind of pickled herring, chopped red onions, diced potatoes that can be substituted with something else and a sauce or dressing of mayonnaise, creme fraiche and sour cream, all mixed together and served on a heap of lettuce. Usually served as a starter but in this hot weather we have it as main dish now and then, the pickled maatjees herring is salty and that is what we need.

As it is called Nubbesallas you also want nubbe with it, that is a shot of aquavit so I got a small bottle of that plus some beer in, perfect. Warm summer evening, nice, filling food, a few shots of snaps and a few beers and we talked for four hours. Not that I had the time but I took the time.

Those of you who had hoped for disaster, I am afraid I will make you disappointed. We are building a friendship across generations and borders and have talked about the subject of Should children be physically disciplined or should there be legislation against it? He thinks it can be a good thing to punish children while I am violently against it and think it should be banned by legislation as children should be protected against violence.

We talked about rivers and streams, about France and Gotland, about love and I told him he didn't know what love is if he hadn't felt the pain of too much happiness and he agreed. Reluctantly, but did agree. I told him about love I have experienced and about love and pain and happiness with a few causal love affairs thrown in the mix.

We talked about when I possibly could come to France to visit and if it would be possible to go for a swim in the sea in November, ten degrees, no I don't think so even though I am supposedly of Viking origin.

We also talked about schools and teachers and I finally learnt that he and I have about the same IQ so advised him to contact Mensa, he had never heard about it before but I think the fact we share this is behind at least some of the attraction.I always found intelligence attractive.

He told me how happy he is and has been with us and happy he stayed a lot longer than he had planned and that I have taught him so much and yeah, well, eternal friendship I suppose. Oh the dear lad, he really is lovely.

And finally we hugged. I have been teasing him and tutoring him theoretically on the Swedish habit of hugging and told him that as he is to spend four months in Sweden he really had to get to know Swedish greeting habits and gone over the different kinds of hugs and in what circumstances you hug and in what way with whom but we haven't got so far as start practise it. But who would be better to start training hugs with but me? Tell you what? This lad didn't need tutoring on hugs, it was the most affectionate and loving hug and for the moment I am very content with the love and affection he expresses.

It was so nice we hugged once more.

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Probably @Scandichick is the only one on here who will know what "nubbesallad" is but we had that today for dinner as it was too hot to cook or eat anything warmer than room temperature, that is 30 degrees C. It consists of matjees, a kind of pickled herring, chopped red onions, diced potatoes that can be substituted with something else and a sauce or dressing of mayonnaise, creme fraiche and sour cream, all mixed together and served on a heap of lettuce. Usually served as a starter but in this hot weather we have it as main dish now and then, the pickled maatjees herring is salty and that is what we need.

As it is called Nubbesallas you also want nubbe with it, that is a shot of aquavit so I got a small bottle of that plus some beer in, perfect. Warm summer evening, nice, filling food, a few shots of snaps and a few beers and we talked for four hours. Not that I had the time but I took the time.

Those of you who had hoped for disaster, I am afraid I will make you disappointed. We are building a friendship across generations and borders and have talked about the subject of Should children be physically disciplined or should there be legislation against it? He thinks it can be a good thing to punish children while I am violently against it and think it should be banned by legislation as children should be protected against violence.

We talked about rivers and streams, about France and Gotland, about love and I told him he didn't know what love is if he hadn't felt the pain of too much happiness and he agreed. Reluctantly, but did agree. I told him about love I have experienced and about love and pain and happiness with a few causal love affairs thrown in the mix.

We talked about when I possibly could come to France to visit and if it would be possible to go for a swim in the sea in November, ten degrees, no I don't think so even though I am supposedly of Viking origin.

We also talked about schools and teachers and I finally learnt that he and I have about the same IQ so advised him to contact Mensa, he had never heard about it before but I think the fact we share this is behind at least some of the attraction.I always found intelligence attractive.

He told me how happy he is and has been with us and happy he stayed a lot longer than he had planned and that I have taught him so much and yeah, well, eternal friendship I suppose. Oh the dear lad, he really is lovely.

And finally we hugged. I have been teasing him and tutoring him theoretically on the Swedish habit of hugging and told him that as he is to spend four months in Sweden he really had to get to know Swedish greeting habits and gone over the different kinds of hugs and in what circumstances you hug and in what way with whom but we haven't got so far as start practise it. But who would be better to start training hugs with but me? Tell you what? This lad didn't need tutoring on hugs, it was the most affectionate and loving hug and for the moment I am very content with the love and affection he expresses.

It was so nice we hugged once more.
Hej på dej! Jag älskar nubbesallad och även då jag har precis ätit färdigt jag är svartsjuk! Vi åt lax och sallad med "mug cake" till efterrätt! Och lite vitt vin! Så klart!
This is the first time in ages that we haven't gone to Sweden and the kids keep asking but we need to get our finances sorted so will probably be the Summer after next so the thought is spuring me on! The kids love Göteborg especially Liseberg! In two years time they will want to go on the scary rides! God help me. Am suffering withdrawal symptoms so keep reading GP, am currently reading old Wallander books and watching reruns on TV. At mums at mo. My stepdad loves James Bond so we are watching die another day! Mum and I are drooling over pierce Brosnan! Now that's sad!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hej på dej! Jag älskar nubbesallad och även då jag har precis ätit färdigt jag är svartsjuk! Vi åt lax och sallad med "mug cake" till efterrätt! Och lite vitt vin! Så klart!
This is the first time in ages that we haven't gone to Sweden and the kids keep asking but we need to get our finances sorted so will probably be the Summer after next so the thought is spuring me on! The kids love Göteborg especially Liseberg! In two years time they will want to go on the scary rides! God help me. Am suffering withdrawal symptoms so keep reading GP, am currently reading old Wallander books and watching reruns on TV. At mums at mo. My stepdad loves James Bond so we are watching die another day! Mum and I are drooling over pierce Brosnan! Now that's sad!
Brosnan is booring as in boooring. Not to keen on Wallander either, boring and a lot of whinge.

I want to go to Göteborg too and if I become a widow I will move to the west coast.

Hey, didn't I write a beautiful post on friendship and such? Nubbesallad only was a minor part of it, you know, not the main message. Although it is nice in this hot weather.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brosnan is booring as in boooring. Not to keen on Wallander either, boring and a lot of whinge.

I want to go to Göteborg too and if I become a widow I will move to the west coast.

Hey, didn't I write a beautiful post on friendship and such? Nubbesallad only was a minor part of it, you know, not the main message. Although it is nice in this hot weather.

It was a beautiful post. But I'm afraid the nubbesallad was very distracting. Perhaps I should eat some.

Soon.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

You did write a beautiful post on friendship! I am a bad person.:( But pierce Brosnan is soo distracting! ;)Boring? Noo! Have you not seen him in the Thomas crowned affair?! :D Now where's the nubbesallad and aquavit?;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had that nubbesallad while I was in Sweden back in April.. Though I laid off the potato...
I found some of the food while staying there more D friendly than other country's I've traveled.. (When yer in a band, the diet can be dodgy.)

I must admit you Swedish bunch seem to wear yer hearts on your sleeve don't you..
I have a friend currently dating a North Sweedish woman & I have to admit I've had to click on "unfollow" regarding Facebook until they calm down.... Lol