Yes I am cured !!!

Mark James

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
not eating food, or drinking
I had my first meeting today with the DN since being dx in December she said i am not diabetic because i have not had 2 fasting bg results over 7 and a gtt would possibly show pre diabetes at the worst.
My results were Hba1c 5.3 previous 5.4, fasting bg 5.5 previous 5.8, cholesterol 5.0 previous 5,8 ldl 3.6 (bit gutted) hdl 1.1 trig 0.56, bp 111/80 kidney and liver function all good, potassium good, feet fine, still need to drop a few kg but i am happy she is also the first person who does not advocate the healthy plate and believes the way forward is to try and limit carbs all in all i was very impressed by her attitude, she also said she wants people to test so they can see what effect food, stress, and illness has on bg and so can try to control it more.

Mark

Reactions: 12 people

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
Brillant. good luck to you Wish you all the best, what a lovely surprise.

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi,
I don't think Cured, I don't think you were diabetic anyway with readings like that
All the best

Mark James

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi,
I don't think Cured, I don't think you were diabetic anyway with readings like that
All the best
Thats what the dn said although i was dx with a 10.4 fbg in December

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This just goes to show how unreliable a fasting glucose test can be!

Well done Mark, great news.

Reactions: 5 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Excellent Mark, well done!

richard256

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being on call
I had my first meeting today with the DN since being dx in December she said i am not diabetic because i have not had 2 fasting bg results over 7 and a gtt would possibly show pre diabetes at the worst.
My results were Hba1c 5.3 previous 5.4, fasting bg 5.5 previous 5.8, cholesterol 5.0 previous 5,8 ldl 3.6 (bit gutted) hdl 1.1 trig 0.56, bp 111/80 kidney and liver function all good, potassium good, feet fine, still need to drop a few kg but i am happy she is also the first person who does not advocate the healthy plate and believes the way forward is to try and limit carbs all in all i was very impressed by her attitude, she also said she wants people to test so they can see what effect food, stress, and illness has on bg and so can try to control it more.

Mark
THAT'S GREAT MARK,I DO BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN GET BETTER AND YOU'VE PROVED IT.CHEERS RICHARD

Mark James

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
THAT'S GREAT MARK,I DO BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN GET BETTER AND YOU'VE PROVED IT.CHEERS RICHARD
I believe so too Richard it has not been easy i eat low carb and changed my lifestyle alot, but i think if you put the work in you will get the rewards, some days i think is it all worth it but that thought only lasts a few moments, i found it hardest when going out for meals as most places have set menu's ie steak with chips or jacket etc so i thought i was limited to what i had but i now always ask for a salad with the steak as opposed to the chips or jacket and i have never been refused, i also have an Indian take away every friday but i dont have rice, i have onion bahgi and poppadoms with the curry and find it doesnt spike me i ride my bike about 25 miles a week and i run a couple of miles i take a few supplements, and when working have a protein shake for breakfast when not i have a full English, it works for me

Mark

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.

Mark
Many congratulations on gaining excellent control.

I wish that did mean you are cured. I find it easy to remind myself a cure is yet to be discovered. All I have to do is test an hour after a foolish high carb meal.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If I have an Indian I have the tandoori half chicken with salad. Mmmm!!!
Curry and rice, too much for me, maybe one day soon!

mcdonagh47

Mark

administer your own OGTT Mark ,

drink 75 ml of lucozade and test at an hour and 2 hours after.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You also need to eat 150g of carb for a few days before ogtt

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many congratulations on gaining excellent control.

I wish that did mean you are cured. I find it easy to remind myself a cure is yet to be discovered. All I have to do is test an hour after a foolish high carb meal.
There is a cure which has worked for one or two people. The Newcastle diet. It didn't work for me but it has worked for some.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
There is a cure which has worked for one or two people. The Newcastle diet. It didn't work for me but it has worked for some.
That research is far too recent to make claims like that. Similar claims were made for bariatric surgery a few years ago, some are still claiming it despite the reports of relapses.

I'll accept it after the study subjects have passed sufficient years after the trial eating like non-diabetics.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That research is far too recent to make claims like that. Similar claims were made for bariatric surgery a few years ago, some are still claiming it despite the reports of relapses.

I'll accept it after the study subjects have passed sufficient years after the trial eating like non-diabetics.
That's a clever remark!........Because even if they are cured they will still have all the factors that pre-disposed them to diabetes in the first place, and eating badly was probably the thing that tipped them into becoming diabetic. So they will have to eat like a non-diabetic, but sensibly, to prove the cure or they will become diabetic again.

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

So if you were offered to take part in a clinical trial for a new treatment, say a heart operation, would you? Or would you wait several years until it had been tried and tested on others first? Like the Newcastle diet there would be possible risks and possible benefits which would be outlined but not proved.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's a clever remark!........Because even if they are cured they will still have all the factors that pre-disposed them to diabetes in the first place, and eating badly was probably the thing that tipped them into becoming diabetic. So they will have to eat like a non-diabetic, but sensibly, to prove the cure or they will become diabetic again.
Sorry, I disagree.

First, I disagree that eating badly causes type 2 diabetes. It may be an exacerbating factor but no research has yet found a causative link between diet and diabetes.

Second, if a person cannot eat eat like a non-diabetic then they are still diabetic. It is as simple as that. They may be under good control, but they are not cured.

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

It may seem like heresy to say this, but the Newcastle study does seem to be sending out false hopes to a large number of diabetics especially given only 7 out of the 11 participants showed a 'remission' from their diabetic symptoms and there's little information on what happened to those on the programme in the weeks and months following the trial.

I have to wonder if those for whom the Newcastle Diet works are not actually diabetic at all but just have high bg levels because of all the high carb food they eat. After all, if a person is morbidly obese then their calorific intake must be very high to maintain that weight and therefore maybe their pancreas just cannot produce enough insulin regardless of what condition it's in. Hence a sudden reduction in calorie intake, which results in a similarly large reduction in weight means that the pancreas now has the capacity to produce insulin to balance the glucose being eaten therefore their BG levels fall back into the non-diabetic range.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge about the Newcatsle Study can confirm if the researchers compared the C-peptide results for the trial patients with the results from a similar number of non-diabetics. I've searched for this information but have been unable to find it.

Reactions: 6 people