Question for foreigners with diabetes who moved to the UK

oriole

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! I have type 1 diabetes and I'll be moving from Canada to the UK in October for one year for my studies. My understanding is that I would be eligible for the Medical Exemption Certificate since I'm diabetic (please do correct me if I'm wrong - I'm having trouble keeping track of any new policies there may be on NHS services for foreigners).

For those who moved to the UK, how exactly did you go about proving your diabetic status to get this Certificate? Would medical records/test results and prescriptions from your medical team from your home country be sufficient, or would you have to go through the whole fasting blood testing etc. all over again in the UK to prove that you're diabetic? Or would each GP have a different process for this?

And did you have difficulties obtaining your regular quantity of diabetes-related supplies? I'm on Lantus and NovoRapid and use FreeStyle Lite testing strips - I'm assuming the UK would have these brands but I don't know how commonly available they would be (I got diagnosed very recently so please excuse my ignorance).

Thank you for your help!

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I must preface my remarks by stating what is different in our situations: I am American, not Canadian; I am a Type 2, and I was diagnosed in the UK after being here for 3.5 years. I currently hold FLR visa status, and will be applying for ILR as soon as I am eligible in November. I have a Medical Exemption Certificate. I didn't even realize I was eligible until I checked the US-UK forum I frequent. Medical Exemption Certificates are not considered "benefits" (of which most visas prohibit). NHS care also does not come under "benefits", and you may receive free care *as long as your visa allows it*. For example, visitors are not allowed free NHS benefits. (They can use the NHS, but they must pay for the care.)

As you are a Commonwealth citizen and student, I am 99% sure you would be eligible for a Medical Exemption Certificate, especially if your course is longer than six (6) months. You need to check your visa to see if you are permitted free NHS care. If so, then you'd be eligible for a Certificate.

I imagine that official medical records from your doctor would be sufficient in proving your diabetic status. However, I have heard all kinds of differences between surgeries/GPs (for both nationals and foreigners), so I'm not sure on that point.

I am pretty sure I have heard of the Lantus, NovoRapid and FreeStyle Lite brands on this forum, but a Type 1 would be able to answer this for sure.

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Yep, Lantus & Novorapid are available in the UK. I'm a Brittish citizen & on the stuff myself..
I can't help you with the blood meter. I use different...

It seems to be a "post code" lottery with the surgery prescription on these test strips with regard to NHS authority budget & cost..?
Though I've had no issue over this in my area...

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Freestyle Lite test strips are available :)

I had a diabetic Canadian friend over for a year, as far as I remember, she obtained her exemption certificate with no problems, by first registering with a GP, and obtaining the form for it from the surgery. This was filled in then given back to the GP for signature. This was three years ago, and the procedure may have changed, but I would advise registering with a GP ASAP and taking it from there.

Enjoy your stay !:happy:

Signy

oriole

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much to everyone who replied - it's very reassuring to hear that the whole transition and process will be relatively straightforward in the UK! (As a side note it feels surreal to know that I'm paying more for my prescriptions right now in Canada as a citizen than I would in the UK as a temporary resident.)

Thanks again!:)