License revoked

bonerp

Hi
I've had my license renewal due but this time they've refused to issue another because of eyesight issues picked up during the visual field test.
I've had 2 vitrectomies one in each eye. The result in that I have lost lower vision - basically when sitting in the car anything below the dashboard and door trim on the left (near side). I can see out of the window thorugh my perpheral vision and sight to the right and straight ahead is 100%.

The arrogance of the letter astounded me. Its like they can take everything away from you - ability to work, have freedom etc without ever speaking to you. Having tried ringing and failing, last night my other half got through but they wouldnt speak to her and as it was nearly home time they wouldnt even share a number for me to contact them directly on or they wont call me. Utterly dispicable.

Anyway does anyone have any pointers on :
a) how to present a case to them
b) which acuity visual field test is an alternative? I understand there are 2 - is it Esterman and Goldmann?
c) how to stay out of court if possible - using hospital case/opticians info
d) how to get files to them safely

Having just called them spending £2 per minute on an 0900 number, I got nowehere. The girl was arrogant and bascially said I need to repply. Yet they hadnt even spoken to the eye department I see at the hospital or spoke to my eye consultant. Unreal.

thanks
Paul - now using taxis!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Unsure Paul but perhaps you could ask your Ophthalmologist to comment on the result of your field vision test, I don't know what the process of appealing is but you could contact Diabetes UK and ask for advice.

bonerp

OK I'm thinking laterally here... Been refused a license so what's the chance of reapplying for a new license and proving I am safe to drive through the disabled driving test? Has anyone done this?
Secondly am I entitled to benefits as a result of losing my license?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I don't know for sure but I would guess as soon as you applied for another license, your old details would flag up. As for benefits, again not sure so worth asking but I would guess just usual benefits, ie, jobseekers etc. Good luck !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hornplayer

Hey, did you know that "license revoked" was the original name for the James Bond film "license to kill"? But apparently, 9/10 Americans questioned didn't know what revoked meant so they changed it . :)

Laura1976

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. Ive also had my licence revoked. I went to their approved optician and I felt the tests wrrent accurate. Firstly the distance test as I was sure id taken the wrong specs with me(my fault I know). I explained this to her and she just said to do the test with those....I failed. Tbh my vision was alwaus only one line further than what I needed anyway so its not always been great but gas always passed this test. Secondly the optician did tge field test monocularly instead of binocularly. I knew this was incorrect as id done the test before and we use both eyes for driving dont we. Anyway that also failed. Oh and I have also had extensive laser treatment followed by vitrectomies in both eyes in 2007.
I managed contact the dvla and explained why I wasnt happy and they said I would need retesting and to send the results into them. I went to another optician and ended up bursting into tears as I was struggling to read the chart to the required level. I sometimes gave good and bad days with my eyes and am always a nervous wreck when I gave to see the optician or opthamoligist and pray I have a good day.
Like I said I got so upset they suggested I go back tge next day which I did. They did the distance test and also the esterman field test. Iut if the 116 lights I failed to see 7....3 of these were clumped together to the furthest right of my peripheral field. At first I thought this was a fail but then I looked it up and it is only a fail if the clump as within the central area of field.
Only my iriginal letter advising me that my licence was being revoked mentioned court. No one at the dvla has said this either so I am unsure as to when this would happen. I was told to send in the results of both tests and they would investigate my claim. I sent this by special delivery on tuesday and am now waiting for a response. Fingers crossed but I suspect that it eont go smoothly due to all the horror stories ive heard aboyt tge dvla...I'll let you know x

bonerp

I've been advised to do the manual test - is this the goldmann?

I have a pal whos going through the same thing since sept 12 and recently went to cheltenham general for the manual test. DVLA did pay for this for him but to save time I am going to book privately and hope this test means I get the license back sooner without having to wait for months of nonsense with dvla deciding what they want.

bonerp

wanted to provide everyone interested in a quick update...

Last week DVLA agreed that they would accept a manual goldmann test carried out privately at Cheltenham General Hospital - cost me £112.

At the same Cheltenham General carried out a comparison esterman test using their own equipment which to be frank was quicker and much more modern than the one I took at the opticians on which I had my license revoked.

Instead of a 19.5 % error rate, I had 1 error in 11 and a higher degree of positive accuracy. My 20 degree vision was spot on.

Show that the below par machines in opticians are really questionable especially having lost my driving license due to that!

The goldmann test also tests moving targets.

Now have to wait again for DVLA to decide after resubmitting with a brand new application and the new test paperwork..

Laura1976

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am at the stage where I have sent in my info a month ago and its still not scanned on my record. Ive called them numerous times and now they're chasi g it up....then they will send another application form and it will take at least 2 month from that time so I am told.....im not holding my breath. It would seem getting my independence back is the bottom of their list of priorities! !!

hornplayer

Don't know where you live, but it used to be that you could walk stuff like that through the DVLA yourself. It has changed a bit in recent years. The tax etc bit is on a different site now. - the DVLA is in Morriston, Swansea. Don't know if it's still possible.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
More DVLA horror stories every day! I can empathise with you all and feel quite lucky that I've only been waiting ten days for them to return my licence! Mine was revoked because the doctor who did my medical ticked the wrong box, which meant the DVLA decided I had " lost awareness of the danger of a pending hypoglycaemic attack whilst driving". Considering the fact that I haven't hypo'd for about three years, never whilst driving and have never needed help, it's easy to imagine how shocked I was when I received the letter. The doctor was amazed, phoned the DVLA to acknowledge her mistake and also emailed confirmation. However, when I phoned, they said my paperwork would have to go back through the paper chain and they couldn't possibly give me any idea how long it would take! I am now grounded....and all because of a tick in the wrong box by a professional who ought to take more care when filling out forms! Grrrrr :(

bonerp

write to your MP. I did and got a response within a week - albeit not what I expected! Otherwise its currently a 3 months wait :x

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Bonerp... thank you. I have just posted an update elsewhere and after reading your reply here have decided to take your advice.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Check out Diabetes Uk website Diabetes.org.uk
You might get the license back if your sight checks out as good enough, but if it doesn't, perhaps there's a reason. It's awful not to be able to drive, but the safety of everyone on the roads depends on us all having adequate faculties, including eyesight. I doubt if the person answering the phone was responsible for your having it revoked, and I wonder how polite you were if you were upset.
It can't be a comfortable situation for the DVLA civil servant to be on the phone with stressed people all day. There's not a lot he/she can do, but follow protocols.
Hana

Piper

Do you know of anyone who actually got their licence back after having it revoked because of loss of awareness with Hypos?

I lost my licence ten years ago, a month after my type 1 diagnosis & I miss it every day.
Things where really bad in the first 5 or 6 years- multiple hypos- out of my mind, light on but no body home hypos pretty much every day of
Those years.

It's only thanks to my mother that I'm still alive.

Now, I would never go and drive if there was a risk of that happening & would check my bloods before stepping into the car but things are much better these days.
I went 6 & a half months without needing assistance with a hypo which I was very proud of.

Many years ago, the DVLA said I needed to be hypo free for 6 months with my doctors approval before they would consider giving
Me my licence back.

Diabetes has taken so much from me, and I'd at least like my freedom & independence back.

So has any one ever got it back after so long ?

Jane

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you know of anyone who actually got their licence back after having it revoked because of loss of awareness with Hypos?

I lost my licence ten years ago, a month after my type 1 diagnosis & I miss it every day.
Things where really bad in the first 5 or 6 years- multiple hypos- out of my mind, light on but no body home hypos pretty much every day of
Those years.

It's only thanks to my mother that I'm still alive.

Now, I would never go and drive if there was a risk of that happening & would check my bloods before stepping into the car but things are much better these days.
I went 6 & a half months without needing assistance with a hypo which I was very proud of.

Many years ago, the DVLA said I needed to be hypo free for 6 months with my doctors approval before they would consider giving
Me my licence back.

Diabetes has taken so much from me, and I'd at least like my freedom & independence back.

So has any one ever got it back after so long ?

Jane
It's no 12 months without assistance

Piper

Maybe things have changed since my licence was revoked- unfortunately.
But I did get a letter from the DVLA saying six months.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hypos are scary and dangerous ....but maybe the DVLA should revue your situation