Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dootsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
exercise
I don't know your history and it wouldn't be wise for me to advise you, I can only tell you my personal experience which is that since reducing my carb intake but increasing my fat intake, I've reduced my cholesterol from 5.3 in April to 4.6 in August and have been taken off statins after being on them for 4 years.

My general health has returned as have my energy levels, plus I've lost a stone in weight, gradually. Plus I once again enjoy food shopping and meal preparation. The only significant change I've made is to convert to LCHF. These improvements can't be attributed to anything else.

dootsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
exercise
Thank you to all of you who have replied, for your support. Maybe i need to bang both our heads together to get it right.

Reactions: 2 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My partner is a chef, but he doesnt cook like us brits - he's muslim so no jelly or pork allowed in house.
He never does bowls of boiled veggies, always a handful in a dish, and most of the time laced with potato, even the salads. Ive tried to tell him.

He does try keep the fats down, he gives me salads, but in other ways its not working. Its rice and a spice based dishes as well as fish, but fish can be deep fried coated with batter or breadcrumbs. What do i do. He spends most of the time in the kitchen (small) so i cant even cook my own meal.

i shouldnt complain having a chef around, but it is difficult.

That's a tricky one. It must be wonderful having lovely food prepared and presented for you, but not if it is bad for your particular health condition.

I'm finding that a lot of the recipes shared here are actually very quick and simple to prepare. Could you steal 30 minutes or so in the kitchen a few times a week to prepare your own meals in advance and freeze them? A caulflower cheese made with full fat cheese and cream served with a potato-less salad would be quick to throw together, and satisfy you and perhaps could be shared with him? At this time of the year, it is possible to have interesting salads.

I hope others can post some helpful advice for you. I imagine the secret is not to offend your partner, especially if he is Muslim and his attitude to food is so important to his culture and beliefs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My partner is a chef, but he doesnt cook like us brits - he's muslim so no jelly or pork allowed in house.
He never does bowls of boiled veggies, always a handful in a dish, and most of the time laced with potato, even the salads. Ive tried to tell him.

He does try keep the fats down, he gives me salads, but in other ways its not working. Its rice and a spice based dishes as well as fish, but fish can be deep fried coated with batter or breadcrumbs. What do i do. He spends most of the time in the kitchen (small) so i cant even cook my own meal.

i shouldnt complain having a chef around, but it is difficult.

If I were you I would simply leave the rice, ask for your fish to be plain (he can do what he likes with his own), pick the potato out of the salad and leave it. He will soon get the message. Show him some of the recipes on here and suggest he tries them out on you. Presumably you are in charge of your own breakfasts?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.2 for me this morning. I'm happy with that, today.

Yes, today I'm cold. I'm really missing the warmth of the sunshine and living my life in flip-flops and swimming clothes. And more to the point, I have to wear formal shoes tomorrow, with a bit of a heel. It's been a whole, so I'm hoping there won't be toooo much standing involved, or I'll be miserable.

This morning I have been finishing my prep for my meetings tomorrow and Thursday. I have to drop off a letter I've written to my GP, setting the scene for what I want to discuss on Thursday, and including some test results they don't have, as they were done overseas. It's a telephone consultation, which, is less than ideal, but better than waiting ages. I'm curious why my latest results have a ?hypothyroidism note appended to them, as this is the first time I've had even TSH tested and I'm totally asymptomatic. My cholesterol is a mixed bag, with the Total and LDL levels being high, with HDL, Trigs and ratios being very good. I have a feeling debate will ensue. I'm going to start another thread to garner opinion on any other tests I could be requesting, should I need to see the vampires again.

Have a good day everyone.

Edit: I got my HDL and LDL muddled up.

Last edited by a moderator:

smeneley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 this morning. And I had my follow up appointment this morning. My Dr. is very happy with my progress so far. I dropped my A1C from 7.4 down to 6.2 in 2 months. :) she wants to see my LDL drop when I go back in 3 months, it's a tad high.

No changes in medication, just a big pat on the back for working hard. Come a long way in these last 3 months since I first found out, long road ahead, but things are looking promising.

smeneley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 this morning. And I had my follow up appointment this morning. My Dr. is very happy with my progress so far. I dropped my A1C from 7.4 down to 6.2 in 2 months. :) she wants to see my LDL drop when I go back in 3 months, it's a tad high.

No changes in medication, just a big pat on the back for working hard. Come a long way in these last 3 months since I first found out, long road ahead, but things are looking promising.

smeneley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow you have done well.I am fasting now to find out my A1C..tomorrow. I think I am going to have to take meds. Can't get morning tests below 7 Garr..

smeneley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm I have never heard of that drug..As long as it's working. If I have to go on somwthing I would try the Metformin, my Mother is on it and has no problems..

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow you have done well.I am fasting now to find out my A1C..tomorrow. I think I am going to have to take meds. Can't get morning tests below 7 Garr..

Thanks. At my appointment a few months back. I was give 500mg of metformin as "let's see what this does, and we'll go from there". I left with the fear that the medication would be increased at this last appointment. But alas, I got good news, going to stay the same course for now. I'm happy.

Good luck tomorrow! I find I need to keep my carbs below 50g a day to get really good morning numbers. Everyone is different.

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.7 today grrrr! After a shocking 7.6 last night but only 1 hour 20 after eating. No exercise yesterday as I pulled an Achilles on Monday at football. Hoping for some levelling out of the numbers today but well p'd off as the 7.6 sticks out like a sore thumb in my records book!!

Reactions: 3 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.4 this morning didn't expect that as I went to bed on 6.1 after over indulging on peanuts .

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
4.3 this morning, but I think it is masked by alcohol consumption yesterday. Am on holiday and managing to stick to my usual at home eating structure but not the alcohol intake. But hey Ho holidays are part of life and I won't let D totally dictate my life .

Reactions: 4 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
6.4 this morning. Yep, still in the flipping 6s. Yes, i'm impatient lol.

Off to see my GP in a mo...re the BP (his request, not mine) but i only had the 24hr BP yesterday so can't imagine it's going to be terribly productive...though at least i should be able to get a script for my repeats before my prepayment certificate runs out.

Reactions: 5 people
Status
Not open for further replies.