Hi

sharlie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone,

Thought i'd introduce myself. I have been type 1 diabetic for about 5 years, after a long and painful diagnosis which took all in all about a year!

I am lucky enough to have a Medtronic pump and I do have a Dexcom CGM, though Animas have stopped supplying the sensors to self funders and they are far to expensive to get from AT, I have just pulled my last one out - it lasted 4 weeks!

I am used to high numbers, my body functions well even on numbers in the upper 20's - which I am not proud of! But the only way I am going to overcome all this is to be truthful to myself. I had/have a binge eating disorder. For the past month I have been trying to change this as I cannot carry on the way I am going. I have started a low carb way of eating to try and get my numbers back in to range and to cancel out the high and low roller coaster. I havn't been doing very well though, I had a relapse last night (and every night before then too!)

I have always browsed these forums, but I need to become involved and I need to start acting like a person with diabetes should otherwise my future is going to be dire!

Shar

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome on board,

You have an interesting story........

I hope the support and advise from the forum will help you....

what would be a typical day of binge eating..........?

can your pump not accommodate for most scenarios.......?

Reactions: 2 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey welcome to the forum .

You will find loads of friendly people on here to help and advice you . And also who will support you throughout your journey .

Good luck .

:):):)

sharlie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you @Cloe-1992, I have found a lot of help on here already, just by reading other peoples posts.

@novorapidboi26 I am rather embarassed about my binge eating, before I was diagnosed I was very cautious about what I ate, though since the diabetes - i've gone completely the other and (wrong) way. During the day I do well, I eat healthy - but then in the evenings I can eat and eat and eat before I even realise what I am doing! My pump does well at keeping up but because during these horrible and disgusting bing eating moments, I can have my insulin, even on the dual wave setting as I guess I eat alot of fat which slows it all down, so I usualy wake up about 3am, then 4am needing to take more - but I still end up 'HI' when I wake up properly. As an example last night I ate a Cornetto, a bowl of vannila ice cream, 3 weetabix, 4 packets of crisps, 2 mini mars bars, 2 lunch box biscuits and about half a pack of digestives - and then my family came in with fish and chips. I don't even enjoy what I eat. I eat it all so fast, and I become so bloated and tired. I feel ashamed and guilty afterward. I live with my parents and they don't really care what they eat so theres always the bad type of foods in the house, sometimes my family have to hide there chocolate, but I go hunting for it. and in the evenings... I just eat. I usualy work until late, I try and stay busy...but whatever the time, I just start eating whenever I can. Everytime I do it, I say to myself that tomorrow is a new day and tomorrow I will change. But it doesn't work. I don't really put on weight, I guess its because my levels are usualy high for a long period of time. I have just had a tesco delivery with alot of low carb food and healthy food and today I am feeling as though I am in control again. I've never ever told anyone the extent of my binge eating as I know how disgusting it is.

Anyway, here's to the rest of my life and overcoming this gross habbit!

sharlie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My nurses have never noticed, my Hba1c never shows how high my blood usualy is either, which is weird. My hba1c has been 64 for the last two ones I have had done.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck Shar, hope you turn a corner with your diabetes control.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can admit to having times like that where I just eat what I like, consciously though........

unfortunately for me though I put on the weight........

i think an HbA1c of 64, which is about 8.0% in the old way does show less than good control, I would know, as I have been hovering around this level myself for years........

how old are you........? I ask because the older you get the more likely the weight will pile on.......being young, which I assume you are means you can eat a lot of rubbish with no weight gain........

for me the weight is bad as it is pushing up my blood pressure, so that together with a higher HbA1c is affecting my eyes, retinopathy and maculopathy....

it will be hard to change your habit with your current living arrangements unfortunately.........