Percentage

mark51

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
Hi, could any one tell me the typical % breakdown on a LCHF diet % carbs, %fats, % protein. I'm going to put the % into my fitness pal.
Many thanks in advance, Mark

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
No is the unfortunate answer. There are no rules, it's what's best for you !

mark51

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
Thanks, but where do you start? 33% on all 3 categories? My fitness pal shows 45% carbs 25%fat and 30%protein.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you start by putting in your target calories and then change the % on your carbs to match the number of grams you want as a target, it will work the fat and protein out for you, which you can then change to suit yourself. You will at least know the % of carbs you can have. The other 2 are up to you.

My target calories are 1200 and my carb target is 105g, which is 35% so the balance is then split between protein and fats.

Last edited by a moderator:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
OK, as a guess, I would suggest maybe 25% carbs to begin with and adjust accordingly. There are no rules though, it's what suits best and how your BG levels measure.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
looking back on mine i was 14% carbs 27% protein 59% fat that day was 36g carbs, thats just a random day

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i flicked forward a month and it went to 25g that day with 7% carbs 46% protein 47% fat seems i pigged out on chicken that day, i think it depends mate

mark51

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
Thanks for the help, it's all a bit daunting this diabetes thing. Still in my first 2 months and trying to stabilise my bg, it's come down from 39.1 to between 4 and 9. Doctor has now stopped my testing as I'm now just on metformin and apparently it's impossible to have a hypo. So I'm trying to reduce my carbs but are going to find it difficult as I return to work this week and work away from home and stay in hotels all the time. Any suggestions!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
buy your own meter! its hard when away from home, salads and steaks, hot food counter in supermarkets for lunch (chicken chicken & chicken lol) while in there maybe grab some greek yogurt and berries for brekkie if you have access to a fridge, bacon and eggs for brekkie in the hotels i guess

StormyDog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On a similar note how low on carbs do people go to get an effect on BG?
Since actively trying to improve my BG I've restricted my daily carb intake from 3-500g to 150g and I've been able to stabilise my BG from 10-12 to a more respectable 5-7 ( allowing for +-20% meter error). A1c from 59% to 39%

Does dropping your carbs into the 10-50 range make a significant difference for those who can achieve it ?