Diarhroea control?

col888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is Imodium any use for controlling Metformin diarrhoea problems.
Diagnosed early this year T2, 4 metformin a day at first now 2, still get the runs.
Had diarrhoea the last 3days took an Imodium tablet and a couple of Rennies seemed to have stopped it, or was it just luck

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Edited to improve meaning

Go back to one (after you ring dr to see if he wants you to do what he may of said, instead of starting with 4)
See dr for slow release
(he may suggest the following)
Start them with one, when any side effect goes, take two
Side effects shouldn't last a month, mine lasted a week on slow release

With metformin you start with a low dose and build up, normally everyone is in shock and can easily confuse what is said.
Lchf diet is worth doing

Last edited by a moderator:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Diagnosed early this year T2, 4 metformin a day at first now 2, still get the runs.
Had diarrhoea the last 3days took an Imodium tablet and a couple of Rennies seemed to have stopped it, or was it just luck

You can get slow release MET so that is an option if not already on it. Most of the problems with MET are caused by eating too many carbs. So perhaps think about cutting back the amount of carbs you eat, if you are not already low carb.
If you do need anti diarrhoea medication look in the super markets as they have their own brand of tablets for about 70p. Exactly the same ingredients as Imodium. Best option though is to pay your GP a visit to make sure you have no other problems causing the diarrhoea problems.

A

AnnieC

I can't understand why a lot of doctors don't put patients on the SR Metformin at once when they know the majority will have to have it eventually because of the diarrhoea problems with the standard one..At least my husbands GP put him straight on the SR form and he has not had any problems with it

D

Deleted member 83869

Go back to one
See dr for slow release
Start them with one, when any side effect goes, take two
Side effects shouldn't last a month, mine lasted a week on slow release

With metformin you start with a low dose and build up, normally everyone is in shock and can easily confuse what is said.
Lchf diet is worth doing
Jack why was you warned for that post? lol

Not on metformin as am a type 1 but is it like IBS symptoms? isn't there anything they can give to settle the stomach down???

Duran

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a break from met for 6 months then went back on and had diarrhoea for a few days over the first couple of weeks of taking it again now fine

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't eat wheat and take metformin, so I don't eat the wheat (it gives me the runs). Too many carbs and metformin can give you wind.

Has Jack been warned for giving medical advice? If in any doubt about your meds then you should go back to your GP.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Usually Metformin SR (Slow Release) avoids the problem. GPs don't often start with it as it costs a bit more. I was lucky as my GP prescribed it from Day 1.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jack why was you warned for that post? lol

Not on metformin as am a type 1 but is it like IBS symptoms? isn't there anything they can give to settle the stomach down???
It's fair enough.
It was because I should have put "see dr for slow release" first, then anything after would be ok as it would be opinion of what normally happens. I said go to one tab first and see dr second.

D

Deleted member 83869

It's fair enough.
It was because I should have put "see dr for slow release" first, then anything after would be ok as it would be opinion of what normally happens. I said go to one tab first and see dr second.
Oh I see fair enough :)

Reactions: 2 people

cobel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was put on Metformin and had diarrhoea for a year I saw my doctor several times had cameras up and down also various tests. one day caught the diabetic nurse had a word and she said why did I not see her before? She changed my tablets to sitagliptine I was back to normal the next day the doctors don't always know the answer

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You can get slow release MET so that is an option if not already on it. Most of the problems with MET are caused by eating too many carbs. So perhaps think about cutting back the amount of carbs you eat, if you are not already low carb.
If you do need anti diarrhoea medication look in the super markets as they have their own brand of tablets for about 70p. Exactly the same ingredients as Imodium. Best option though is to pay your GP a visit to make sure you have no other problems causing the diarrhoea problems.

This is the first time I have read about too many carbs causing diarrhoea - what do you consider too many carbs? I am on Metformin SR but have also been living with IBS diarrhoea prominent for 40 years and no one has ever suggested limiting carbs.

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

My doc told me that if I ever suffered diarrhoea to stop Metformin IMMEDIATELY !

col888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone, good advice. I'll have a word with the nurse, been the source of all my diabetes info before I joined this forum.
Seems trial and error is king, finding how diabetes and medication affects each person differently. Diarrhoea gone for the time being, hope it lasts.
Did start on 2 Metformin after being diagnosed, nurse upped it to 4 after blood results, dropped it back to 2 after & 3months and more blood results. Have cut out white bread, pasta, potatoes. Feel well and more awake now, strangely no pain or aches with diarrhoea just a rumbling tummy.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is the first time I have read about too many carbs causing diarrhoea - what do you consider too many carbs? I am on Metformin SR but have also been living with IBS diarrhoea prominent for 40 years and no one has ever suggested limiting carbs.
See dr, as some just can't take metformin.
Try lchf for a month and see how you feel, it's used for people with just ibs as well
Read and watch video
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wheat is one carbohydrate that can contribute to IBS/diarrhea because it is a FODMAPS food:
http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/

All of my IBS/SIBO/reflux symptoms have gone away since quitting wheat and commencing a low carb diet.

That said, metformin is renowned for causing bowel upsets in people.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

What I said was that MET will cause the dreaded D if too many carbs eaten. Not that carbs in general will cause D. :) Obviously everyone has to find their own level as to the amount of carbs they consume :) As Jack has said some people just can not take Metformin.

Suzie Quartly

I couldn't handle metformin at all. Tried various configuration s of doses and staggered times of taking it. Doc was convinced I should take it. Lost almost one and a half stone in 6 months because the food went straight through me along with half of the metformin. Blood sugars were still high. Have been on gliclazide for several years quite happily, and recently added forxiga which has resulted in perfect readings. (Due to arthritis I had to give up regular walks which meant my sugar levels began to rise).

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I couldn't handle metformin at all. Tried various configuration s of doses and staggered times of taking it. Doc was convinced I should take it. Lost almost one and a half stone in 6 months because the food went straight through me along with half of the metformin. Blood sugars were still high. Have been on gliclazide for several years quite happily, and recently added forxiga which has resulted in perfect readings. (Due to arthritis I had to give up regular walks which meant my sugar levels began to rise).
Sensible move after 6mths. You yave it a good shot.
With the amount of weight still to go, I envey your loss.

the main thing is to keep the BG within range and diet or/and take meds to do it

Kazlbrown

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I had problems with metformin to start with and found that if my gp gave me the cheap version it did not agree with me, now on glucosage and don't have problems with that. May just need to change the brands.