Salad...

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey guys,

Little help please, I carb count and made a salad for lunch

3 large leaves of iceburg, about 6/8 suagrsnap peas, 4 radishes, 3 slices salarmi and 2 of that thin expensive ham topped with a sprinkle of chedder.

previously havent noticed a protien spike, but my bs are just going up and up!

before 6.8 (12.25 lunch) since had 2.4 u of humalog
now peaked at 12.2.

what insulin would you have done pre eating?

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to give myself one unit of Lispro for every 20g of protein, as well as one unit for every 10g of carbs (generally my lunch and dinner meals contain around 8-12g of carbs). If my blood sugars are 5-7 I will round up, if below 5 I will round down. My pen does half units so I can usually get the dose I want anyhow.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would have needed 2u for that, but probably 2 hours after eating. Without bolusing my BG would have drifted slowly up from 5 ish to 7 or 8 ish. I guess we are all different. Best you can do is take notes and see if it happens again.

Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I pump so on a slight advantage. Just much bigger rise than expected

iHs

I usually eat salad with a small amount of carb so just bolus for the carb and dont worry about protein and fat. If I eat something like 2 egg omelette with some bacon I add up the protein and whatever it amounts to, divide by 4 and use that figure as the insulin to carb amount.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it's having to count another component of my life that's putting me off protein count :(

Reactions: 2 people

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
Wow, interesting responses as I dont add any extra insulin for eating protein. So iHS, you say you add up the protein, as in total amount and then divide by four? never heard of this before, perhaps thats where Ive been going wrong all these years.

iHs

Hi

its only when eating just protein that I divide by 4. If I eat carb and protein then just bolus for the carb and not the protein. Its a bit trial and error .....lol

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just to add no it wasnt/isnt an absorbtion issue bloods very good otherwise overnight and all.

Just a thought as you normally don't have any problems with protein Engineer.

You could try eating the exact same meal again and see what results you get, personally I never change things just going off one postprandial high as there could be other factors at play.

Reactions: 5 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just a thought as you normally don't have any problems with protein Engineer.

You could try eating the exact same meal again and see what results you get, personally I never change things just going off one postprandial high as there could be other factors at play.

Ive just had a thought... Is it possible a change in insulin could change my reaction to low carb? i havent been low carbing since being on Humalog but now I am and my bloods are hell of a spikey! Anyone had experience of this before?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ive just had a thought... Is it possible a change in insulin could change my reaction to low carb? i havent been low carbing since being on Humalog but now I am and my bloods are hell of a spikey! Anyone had experience of this before?

I'm I right in thinking you were on Novorapid before?

Both Humalog and Novo have a similar profile if I'm not mistaken , but it might just be that you need slightly more humalog insulin to match the food that you eat than you did with your previous insulin, even for those people who don't low-carb insulin ratio's are never set in stone and can change from time to time, perhaps this is the case with you Engineer.............it's difficult to say tbh.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
why is there different Insulin is there a reason every one is on a different one???