help

dbaiton

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone I was just wondering if someone could please just give me some advice, I don't have diabetes but my mum does. Can anyone tell me about the doses of insulin. As I don't understand it really. A dose of 52 in the morning and 55 in the evening is this ok? many thanks

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All doses of insulin are unique to the individual. If this dose is working for your mother then yes, it would be correct.
It's impossible to compare insulin doses with others because of how different they can be from person to person.

All the best

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 people

angiecards1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Injections. Always hated them, but can no longer get away with it.
Hi everyone I was just wondering if someone could please just give me some advice, I don't have diabetes but my mum does. Can anyone tell me about the doses of insulin. As I don't understand it really. A dose of 52 in the morning and 55 in the evening is this ok? many thanks
What is the insulin she is on? I'm on novomix 30 and am having 10 units in the morning, and 8 at night, but I only weigh 48 kilos

D

Deleted member 83869

Like @Indiana91 said if it works for your Mother then yes it is absolutely fine. No diabetic is the same as the other :)

Reactions: 2 people

dbaiton

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all just querying as she seemed to be struggling on this ,having hot sweats, eye sight going funny. she was 78 and was overweight but didn't eat much. just when she was in hospital after falling out of bed,after what we now believe to losing consciousness as her blood sugars went down to 2 point and 1 point something, they all seemed to think she was on a lot for her! trying to find out if the doctor and diabetic nurse had been doing his job or not! she did have other health issues but cant seem to get rid of the feeling that this definitely contributed to her unfortunately passing away recently. Im trying to get some info but obviously cannot ask the doc that looked after her as I know what he will say! Any advice I will be grateful for thank you x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As others have said the number of shots is unique for each person. It is important to test blood sugar with a meter to guide your Mother whether she is having too many or too few shots. If your Mother has a glucose meter then get her to check blood sugar first thing in the morning and 2 hours after a typical meal. The reading should if possible be somewhere between 5 and 8 mmol (the UK measurement; the USA and other countries have a different unit of measure so beware!). You really do need to seek guidance from a doctor or nurse. If this is impossible then be aware that too many shots will cause the meter reading to go below 5 mmol and if it goes below around 3 then your Mother could become hypo and needs to be treated by taking glucose or calling a doctor if it is serious. If blood sugar goes into double figures in mmol then damage to the body can start to occur. Never change the number of insulin shots by more than 1 or 2 units per day and keep checking with the meter. Again do seek guidance from a professional if you can.