So frustrating.....

Scardoc

Although I welcome advice, giving me the sort that explains basic science is not the way forward. I did all this at college and passed human biology, physics and chemistry. I believe my metabolism was fatally damaged when I was ill as a child and nothing will correct it. I also believe that years of being fed (if you pardon the pun) bad nutritional advice by the NHS, TV, magazines and weight loss groups has made things worse. I only hope I live long enough to hear the government apologise for the pain and humiliation obese people feel everyday, because they f*****g well should.

With all due respect, people have tried to offer advice and have offered sympathy but you didn't say in your original post that you blame this damage to your metabolism and that nothing will correct it. If you did then I'm sure there would be no basic science offered up, only sympathy.

The OP was on the frustration of T2's not being able to get test strips on the NHS whilst they are offering up gastric bands (I think it's actually a bypass) for obese people in an attempt to reduce the numbers of T2 diabetics. Jim's comment:

I have strong views on this issue and believe that whilst some people are overweight through absolutely no fault of their own, conversely, a significant number of people have let their eating habits get them where they are and they will have the easy way out option of having an operation rather than denying themselves.

is one I happen to agree with and, I have typed this in many many threads, there are always exceptions to the rule, people such as yourself but I believe it's the minority.

Should the Govt apologise? No. If everyone lived to their recommendations on lifestyle choices then we wouldn't face the problems we do in the UK today. Like you, I have a permanent condition that I didn't want, ask for or bring on myself and taking it out on other people doesn't make it go away. If someone else has found success through Slimming World then, yes, they will want to offer advice. Why **** on their parade or demean their achievement by telling them it will go back on? Does that make you feel better?

My only suggestion is that you increase the intensity of your exercise. You walk 5-6K a day but some people walk faster and harder than others. Try introducing some gentle jogging and increasing it over time.

StormyDog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I unerstand they are also suggesting lowering the BMI for gastric bands to something like 30 whih means that as a size 12/14 at 70kg I would qualify for a gastric band.
That's some scary stuff if it happens. Even at 40 bmi I never considered myself big enough to be considered for gastric surgery.
After 4 years (1 1/2 years off during that time for non weight related issues) I've got my bmi down to 30.3 and I would certainly not consider surgery.
What are they thinking. Instead of pumping millions into operations close down McD's and the rest if those fast junk outlets.
I know it's a bit extreme so don't flame me.

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That's some scary stuff if it happens. Even at 40 bmi I never considered myself big enough to be considered for gastric surgery.
After 4 years (1 1/2 years off during that time for non weight related issues) I've got my bmi down to 30.3 and I would certainly not consider surgery.
What are they thinking. Instead of pumping millions into operations close down McD's and the rest if those fast junk outlets.
I know it's a bit extreme so don't flame me.

I don't entirely agree with the McD's to blame view.
If I need fast food, I'll have a burger, and a diet drink, or a coffee.
If I take the son in law to be, he has the biggest, dearest meal on the menu, biggest size available, and gets the free student cheeseburger, or a wrap with it. And a large non diet drink. (Well he did the first time, until we ripped into him).
Same with pizza, a family size one to himself, then finishes off other peoples.
So, his parents obviously brought him up like that, then he carried on super sizing by himself.

McD's merely provide the service the market wants.

forty six

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With all due respect, people have tried to offer advice and have offered sympathy but you didn't say in your original post that you blame this damage to your metabolism and that nothing will correct it. If you did then I'm sure there would be no basic science offered up, only sympathy.

The OP was on the frustration of T2's not being able to get test strips on the NHS whilst they are offering up gastric bands (I think it's actually a bypass) for obese people in an attempt to reduce the numbers of T2 diabetics. Jim's comment:

is one I happen to agree with and, I have typed this in many many threads, there are always exceptions to the rule, people such as yourself but I believe it's the minority.

Should the Govt apologise? No. If everyone lived to their recommendations on lifestyle choices then we wouldn't face the problems we do in the UK today. Like you, I have a permanent condition that I didn't want, ask for or bring on myself and taking it out on other people doesn't make it go away. If someone else has found success through Slimming World then, yes, they will want to offer advice. Why **** on their parade or demean their achievement by telling them it will go back on? Does that make you feel better?

My only suggestion is that you increase the intensity of your exercise. You walk 5-6K a day but some people walk faster and harder than others. Try introducing some gentle jogging and increasing it over time.

Thank you for your comment most of which I totally agree with, I too think that gastric bands etc are not the answer and would not consider having one (also my GP would not consider it for me either).

I did not intend to as you put it '**** on her parade' but as I have endured lectures from this lady in the past and she has been through many weight loss courses only to put it all back on again and it did give a certain satisfaction.

I was also not in a very good place mentally when I read the advice given to me and my blood just boiled. I have been dealing with obesity for a long time and it can be very depressing knowing that others think you are lazy and just sit around all day eating **** and that you don't understand the basics. Constant justification for your actions can be very tiring.

Up until last year my obesity had not caused me any significant health problems, now it has and although I do not admit it all the time, it has scared me.

I don't want to end up like my Mum, dead at 63 from a heart attack or like my Dad, in a wheelchair with renal failure, but currently I struggle to see a future for me that has a positive outcome.

Scardoc

Up until last year my obesity had not caused me any significant health problems, now it has and although I do not admit it all the time, it has scared me.

Hell, find me anyone on this forum who is not scared and I will eat my hat. Figure of speech only, I only have one hat from Bayahibe in the Dom Rep and it's got far too much emotional significance to be eaten. I was married out there and it's a rare occurrence if I get through a week without contemplating how much earlier than my Wife I will die. No reason I should. Apart from being T1 and on blood pressure medication I am as fit as a fiddle. Will I stay that way though, or is the damage already starting inside me? That scares me.

Being scared is natural and the usual response is fight or flight. It sounds very much as though you have fought for a long time and I can only hope you get something back from this forum that gives you something new to try and continue the fight.

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
Thank you for your comment most of which I totally agree with, I too think that gastric bands etc are not the answer and would not consider having one (also my GP would not consider it for me either).

I did not intend to as you put it '**** on her parade' but as I have endured lectures from this lady in the past and she has been through many weight loss courses only to put it all back on again and it did give a certain satisfaction.

I was also not in a very good place mentally when I read the advice given to me and my blood just boiled. I have been dealing with obesity for a long time and it can be very depressing knowing that others think you are lazy and just sit around all day eating **** and that you don't understand the basics. Constant justification for your actions can be very tiring.

I don't want to end up like my Mum, dead at 63 from a heart attack or like my Dad, in a wheelchair with renal failure, but currently I struggle to see a future for me that has a positive outcome.

i saw recently,short sharp bursts of exercise 30 seconds with 30 second rest repeated 3 times is all it takes to get the metabilism moving they say to do it 3 times a week. also read that weight lost in slimming world etc if say 10lb is lost 5lb will be fat 5lb will be muscle so regain 10 it will be all fat so they are worse of. i did post earlier that the gastric band is a last resort when the problems are going to be worse without it

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Have you tried strict LCHF? http://www.dietdoctor.com/category/weight-loss/weight-loss-stories

And had your thyroid checked?

forty six

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried strict LCHF? http://www.dietdoctor.com/category/weight-loss/weight-loss-stories

And had your thyroid checked?

I have had my thyroid checked (took years to get that done) and have been on medication since January. Although I have not tried strict LCHF I have cut my carbs in half and increased my protein and fibre intake.

I go through phases with this, sometimes it makes me so depressed I just don't want to face anyone and then on other days I think so what we've all got to die some day so just get on with it.

As I have already said, I have stayed the same weight for a couple of years now and my main concern is keeping my BS at a reasonable level. if I lose weight in the process so be it but I am not going to make myself even more depressed trying and failing again and again.

Two of my friends have had gastric surgery, one on the NHS and one at a private clinic and I still believe that they are not the way forward, instead I would welcome proper research into peoples genetics and possible conditions like metabolic syndrome as this may show the way forward on an individual basis.

New research in the US suggests that obesity is not the cause of metabolic syndrome but the it is the other way around. This may mean that other outside influences could be causing the persons condition.

I want to be well and healthy not necessarily slim. It is not the same thing to me.

I know that my previous post made it look like I don't want help or suggestions, I do, but it can be so frustrating when I have heard so much of it before and tried it without success.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had my thyroid checked (took years to get that done) and have been on medication since January. Although I have not tried strict LCHF I have cut my carbs in half and increased my protein and fibre intake.

I go through phases with this, sometimes it makes me so depressed I just don't want to face anyone and then on other days I think so what we've all got to die some day so just get on with it.

As I have already said, I have stayed the same weight for a couple of years now and my main concern is keeping my BS at a reasonable level. if I lose weight in the process so be it but I am not going to make myself even more depressed trying and failing again and again.

Two of my friends have had gastric surgery, one on the NHS and one at a private clinic and I still believe that they are not the way forward, instead I would welcome proper research into peoples genetics and possible conditions like metabolic syndrome as this may show the way forward on an individual basis.

New research in the US suggests that obesity is not the cause of metabolic syndrome but the it is the other way around. This may mean that other outside influences could be causing the persons condition.

I want to be well and healthy not necessarily slim. It is not the same thing to me.

I know that my previous post made it look like I don't want help or suggestions, I do, but it can be so frustrating when I have heard so much of it before and tried it without success.
If you check the link to Dietdoctor you will see that you are not alone. And no one should even consider surgery before they have had a go at LCHF. And LCHF keeps my bg normal without meds, so far. Thus I am an advocate for a high fat diet. Should you want to you could try a little less protein and a little more fat and see what it does for you. Going on strict LCHF gave me my energy back and I have lost weight on it too, not that I really had that much to loose but still I lost nearly 10% of my body weight in six months.

I am on NDT, natural dessicated thyroid extract. For me it works much, much better than Levo. Levo took the edge off symptoms, NDT takes symptoms away. And many find it much easier to normalise weight on NDT compared with Levo.

For me it was the thyroid that made me gain weight, around 25 kilograms that I now have lost.

Reactions: 2 people

clucey

hi I know how you feel, I work in a call centre and speak to the over 50's on a daily basis and they mention health issues, I spoke to a husband of a newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic, who weighs 7 stone, tell me this, if we are too indulgent in the sugars and fats, why is a 70 odd year old who weighs 7 stone, yes I didn't know how tall she is, but still 7 stones, be diabetic, and I said to her husband I hate the misconceptions of the too much sugar u are overweight u eat junk food and too much sugar that's why your diabetic "rubbish" because I know bigger more larger people than me, who eat mc d's and burger king regularly who aren't diabetic !!! sometimes I wish I could tell them to .............................. !!!!!!!