high school, worries.

martina

Hello, my daughter is starting high school in September and I am so worried about the problems that could occur. Primary school was so much easier, with one teacher and the fact that she didnt really mind me going in to make checks and changes. However I realise that high school will be different, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to deal with it all. Many thanks, Martina

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It must be worrying, and I suppose it will continue to be worrying regardless of what happens.........

I think now that she is going over to the ''big school" is her opportunity to go it alone........scary times for both of you, but one that will come eventually.......

is she competent enough do you think, or do you think you are more worried than she is.....?

Reactions: 2 people

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Novorapidboi26 makes a good point. If your daughter hasn't been going it alone then you can take advantage of the summer break and ask her what she would do when you think any checks/changes may be required (if she doesn't do her own set changes, now is a good time to start).

As a retired high school teacher, the only time I heard of parents coming in re child's medical condition was to bring in forgotten medication (not likely to happen with the pump) or the school thought the child was too ill for school.

Just make sure the school knows about your daughter's diabetes and this will be passed on to staff at the beginning of term (along with necessary information (eg Don't try to confiscate a phone/game as it will most likely be her insulin pump.)

An emergency kit should be left at the school or carried daily by your daughter. It is unlikely that she is the first diabetic pupil they've had, so don't worry.

Just one point, if you do leave an emergency kit with the school, make sure they don't stick everything in the fridge. When one of my pupils couldn't get his glucose monitor to work I noticed it was full of condensation - it turned out that it had been kept in the fridge along with the insulin!

Elizabeth8001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Martina, she will be fine, if she as any problems she can tell teachers and they will help her. They help me and my mum went in a few time for the first yr