Appointment with diabetic nurse / pain management clinic / hip & knee consultant

Anie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you need to try to attend so you can get advice about your holiday situation and what to do or what to look out for while you are on holiday I'm sure that you going along and asking sensible relevant questions will be effective in getting advice. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Molly56, read your post, and yes you do seem to have asked so many questions, and him in doors is still doing the 3 monkeys bit, hope you can go wit him on Wenesday, to hear what is said, and ask questions, even if it just to put your mind at rest, and ask about the planned holiday and the heel problem, keep posting,ttfn

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just to prove that out of a negative you can get a positive...

....weighed myself this morning and found that I had managed to lose a few pounds....perhaps the recent stress :(plus looking more closely at what I / we eat is having a positive effect after all. :).......at least for one of us;)

Have calculated my BMI this morning at 24.4 which falls within the 'normal weight range' .Was not really that overweight as being tall (5ft 10) the weight was not really a problem.......the weight felt 'healthy' for me, have weighed less in the past but sometimes it just didn't feel right.......was just keeping an eye on it to make sure it wasn't creeping up too far and getting out of control.

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can manage to lose a few more pounds (preferably through diet / exercise rather than too much stress) - don't think I will get as far as the "perfect beach body" for my holiday but at least it is heading in the right direction.

As they say "every cloud has a silver lining".....:):):)

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I telling you this as a cautionary tale (not to stress you!)

There is a guy at work with an ulcer on his foot.
Overweight. Forties. No idea if he's ever been tested, or if he is a diabetic (not something he discusses).

About February (6 months ago!), he started taking time off on Thursday afternoons to have his dressing changed. First we'd heard of the problem.

He resisted all attempts to get him to sit with his foot elevated, or with a footstool.

No improvement since.

He went on a camping holiday last 2 weeks. Came back saying that he spent most of the hol sitting in front of the tent because it was too painful to be active, and that maybe, just maybe, all that sitting with his foot elevated may have helped...

But he's sitting with his foot down again.

Sometimes I despair...

The lessons I have learned from this ridiculous tale, is
  1. Take it seriously from the start
  2. Accept that healing may take longer than expected
  3. Use common sense!!!

@Brunneria ......thank you for sharing your cautionary tale....sounds familiar in many respects.

Have noted the lessons learned and will bear these in mind when trying to help him get this sorted.....I still feel that he doesn't see it as a problem.....just like your guy at work.

I have the opportunity to go to his next podiatrist appointment this coming Wednesday so plan to do so - at least then I can hear first hand what the current state of the ulcer is and what advice he is given. Will also give me the opportunity to ask the questions that I have about what to do about it while we are away (on the assumption we are going away / he is not advised otherwise).

He did tell me that the podiatrist said that it was getting a bit better at his last appointment......not sure whether to believe him or not on this point or whether he was just saying that to stop me from worrying / nagging him about it....would like to think that I can trust what he tells me but not sure........guess I will find that out on Wednesday!

Reactions: 3 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Appointment with podiatrist about foot ulcer now changed from Wednesday to Thursday so now I can't go because I am working......
Phoned podiatry service and they won't talk to me because of patient confidentiality..:mad:....requested next appointment for the following Wednesday so that I can go then and they can't put in request until after this weeks appointment ......:mad:
Getting stressed.....still don't know whether to plan for holiday (in 7 weeks time) or not....
Why did they have to cancel Wednesday??? :(:mad::(

@AndBreathe @Scouser58 @Bluetit1802 @Anie @Brunneria

Last edited by a moderator:

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hello Molly, even from here I can see the lava erupting from the volcano, you have takem so much on in trying to help the man and get the help and support that he needs, but you also need as a carering woman.
Molly ask yourself these questions, is the ulcer showing any signs of improvemnet, is it getting any bigger, and does the man walk with ease?.
?Could the change of date have anything todo with the treatment of the ulcer.
?Does the podiatrist want to co0ordinate their appointment with the gp, for medication to help the healing.

Do you think that the man's ulcer would worsen while he is away in very high tempreatures and the risk of sand getting into the ulcer?

Molly dear lady, step back, go on step back, now go and take yourself out for a nice day, can your friend join you for this emergency intervention?
I understand your frustration, you looking forward to your holiday, and now this man is risking everything because of his attitude to his condition. Worst case senario, if the holiday has to be cancelled, will your holiday insurance (you have got good insurance), refund the money due to a medical emergency?. Then if this happens, you and your friend book a holiday for you both and go away and rest, what do you think?.

Molly you have put so much energy into looking after the man, who does want to look after himself, so take a rest and think about do you really want to go on holiday with the man, and all the stress he causes you?,

Keep posting you stresses and we are all here, ttfn

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello Molly, even from here I can see the lava erupting from the volcano, you have takem so much on in trying to help the man and get the help and support that he needs, but you also need as a carering woman.
Molly ask yourself these questions, is the ulcer showing any signs of improvemnet, is it getting any bigger, and does the man walk with ease?.
?Could the change of date have anything todo with the treatment of the ulcer.
?Does the podiatrist want to co0ordinate their appointment with the gp, for medication to help the healing.

Do you think that the man's ulcer would worsen while he is away in very high tempreatures and the risk of sand getting into the ulcer?

Molly dear lady, step back, go on step back, now go and take yourself out for a nice day, can your friend join you for this emergency intervention?
I understand your frustration, you looking forward to your holiday, and now this man is risking everything because of his attitude to his condition. Worst case senario, if the holiday has to be cancelled, will your holiday insurance (you have got good insurance), refund the money due to a medical emergency?. Then if this happens, you and your friend book a holiday for you both and go away and rest, what do you think?.

Molly you have put so much energy into looking after the man, who does want to look after himself, so take a rest and think about do you really want to go on holiday with the man, and all the stress he causes you?,

Keep posting you stresses and we are all here, ttfn

@Scouser58 Thanks for your reply....the change of date for the podiatrist appointment was due to the podiatrist calling in sick...I was there when they phoned to alter the appointment time. Don't know if the ulcer is getting worse / better as it is covered with a dressing and I can't see it....was hoping I would have been able to see it / speak to podiatrist about progress etc at appointment but will now only be able to go on what he tells me when I get home form work.....hence my worries / frustration.

Have decided that I need to make an appointment to see my GP as soon as possible for myself.....the GP I prefer to see knows about the situation I am in and is sympathetic to my position but getting an appointment with him is like gold dust....nothing available for today but will check again for tomorrow.

Whilst I appreciate that we will not be able to discuss directly my partner's medical condition I can use the list of worries / concerns as the "symptoms" of the way that I am feeling and the reasons why I am not coping very well at the moment......it will also raise awareness with a health professional of the current state of affairs and then it will be up to them if they choose to act on it or not......

Hopefully this will help to set my mind at rest on a few matters and I can look forward to planning my holiday on the theory / in the hope that it does not have to be cancelled.....whilst we have travel insurance I doubt that he will consider cancelling the holiday (booked and paid for in his name) so will either have to make sure that I am happy to go along or tell him that I am staying at home and he can go on his own.

A

AnnieC

Sorry, missed this part of your post

In relation to food I do try where possible to buy the food that he should eat and am gradually altering what we eat based on what I am learning from the website / forum.

However I cannot be held responsible for what he chooses to eat whilst I am out at work during the day.

Being retired he tends to get up late and generally skips breakfast. Have stressed the importance of eating breakfast but he hasn't listened / is stuck in his ways - think this will be more critical now after recent change in medication. He then tends to go to local supermarket / cafe for lunch and to get the papers / shopping when needed.

Am trying to lead by example by cutting down on desserts / cakes / biscuits (good for my health / weight control so not a real sacrifice) but if he buys
these when I am not around I can't be held responsible for his actions.

My husband was diagnosed T2 about 2 months ago he is 82 so it was quite a shock but at least from routine yearly blood tests he had not had it for long GP said it was probably because he takes steroids for Polymaligia..He was only just over 7 when he was diagnosed.
He leaves it totally up to me as to what he eats as I do the cooking and he would never go and buy stuff himself. He has given up all sugar stuff..he had a really sweet tooth for cake biscuits ice cream and sweet yogurts. Now he only has plain greek yogurt which he does sweeten a little bit with Stevia sweetener he still eats a banana a day...used to be three or four... usually with the yogurt as a dessert. He had always been a cereal with toast and jam eater for breakfast that is now cut right down although he does have Shredded Wheat or corn flakes some mornings but a smaller amount than he did have. Main meals is usually meat with vegetables not really cut out any vegetables in particular we have always liked all veg he just has smaller portions of root ones or a salad with cold chicken or ham and this seems to be working for him .He takes 2 Metformin twice a day and he did get a meter from his DN and prescription strips..GP said they will stop eventually though... but she told him he only needs to test occasionally just to see how his BG is going so that is all he will do but she did say to him always make sure he had something to eat before he drives but never said much about diet. Good luck with your husband I am sure you and him will cope fine as he gets more used to it

A

AnnieC

I did
I know you care about him, but is really don't know where you get the patience from!

What I put do you have in relation to his diet? This may be a starting point, if you don't buy the food he shouldn't eat, will he go out and buy it and cook it?

In relation to driving I would suggest that if he doesn't test before driving that he will probably invalidate his insurance. Also, if he drives, has a hypo and kills someone how is he going to feel? If he kills himself then how are you going to feel? It then raises the question does he really care about you like you do about him because people who care about other people don't treat their love ones like this. Also, are you going to get in the car with him driving if he hasn't tested???

Sorry to sound brutal, but there are questions you need to know the answers to.

I did not think that T2's had to inform the DVLA unless they are on insulin injections. All my husband was told by his nurse was to make sure he has something to eat before he drives which he does do now

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sorry, I think Mollys partner been diagnosed more than 10 years... Done nothing to help himself in this time?!

Very hard for a partner in these circumstances...

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My husband was diagnosed T2 about 2 months ago he is 82 so it was quite a shock but at least from routine yearly blood tests he had not had it for long GP said it was probably because he takes steroids for Polymaligia..He was only just over 7 when he was diagnosed.
He leaves it totally up to me as to what he eats as I do the cooking and he would never go and buy stuff himself. He has given up all sugar stuff..he had a really sweet tooth for cake biscuits ice cream and sweet yogurts. Now he only has plain greek yogurt which he does sweeten a little bit with Stevia sweetener he still eats a banana a day...used to be three or four... usually with the yogurt as a dessert. He had always been a cereal with toast and jam eater for breakfast that is now cut right down although he does have Shredded Wheat or corn flakes some mornings but a smaller amount than he did have. Main meals is usually meat with vegetables not really cut out any vegetables in particular we have always liked all veg he just has smaller portions of root ones or a salad with cold chicken or ham and this seems to be working for him .He takes 2 Metformin twice a day and he did get a meter from his DN and prescription strips..GP said they will stop eventually though... but she told him he only needs to test occasionally just to see how his BG is going so that is all he will do but she did say to him always make sure he had something to eat before he drives but never said much about diet. Good luck with your husband I am sure you and him will cope fine as he gets more used to it

@AnnieC It is good to see that your husband is taking things seriously and that together you are managing to address this with eating a healthy diet and looking at the foods that you eat.

However as @donnellysdogs correctly states my partner has been diagnosed with T2 for more than 10 years and has done nothing to help himself in that time....

In fact just to set the record straight I would estimate that he has been diagnosed with T2 for probably over 15 years ( I am guessing this as we have been together for almost five years and he says that he was diagnosed before he married his last wife in 2000...how long before that I do not know...).

....the other issue is that he is now retired (for the last couple of years) and as I am quite a bit younger than him I am still working and will be for the forseeable future......hence I am not around to see what he eats during the daytime and cannot be held responsible for what he chooses to eat or buy whilst I am at work or not with him.....

I am really trying my hardest to steer him in the right direction in terms of what to eat and what not to eat but there really is a limit to what I can do.....especially as he seems to choose to ignore my advice and go back to his old eating habits.

The worrying side of all this is that I can see the signs of damage and deterioration that are occurring as a result of an extended period of high blood sugar levels and that I am effectively unable to do anything about it.

I wish you and your husband well and hope that he makes good progress with you by his side to help him.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@Molly56 I think we all have concern over your health..

My concern is that if your holiday has to be cancelled over this foot ulcer, will it cover both of your cancellations as technically your partner is not hospitalised and would be if he chose to be quite able to look after himself... So I am wondering if the insurance would give a full payout for both holidays.

However, I will now ask after you... How are you?

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Molly56 I think we all have concern over your health..

My concern is that if your holiday has to be cancelled over this foot ulcer, will it cover both of your cancellations as technically your partner is not hospitalised and would be if he chose to be quite able to look after himself... So I am wondering if the insurance would give a full payout for both holidays.

However, I will now ask after you... How are you?

@donnellysdogs ...to be honest as far as the holiday insurance / potential cancellation goes I am not worried about that....my partner booked and paid for the holiday so it will be him that is out of pocket, not me....anyway hopefully it will not come to that.

As far as my own health goes, thank you for asking....I guess that I too am becoming concerned about my own health which is why I am planning to go and see my GP as soon as I can get an appointment.....unfortunately he is a very popular doctor at our practice and trying to get an appointment with him is like gold dust...will try in the morning to see what is available. Not sure what he can do other than listen to my worries and concerns but at least then it will be on the record.

Have felt the stress levels rising and have some days that are better or worse than others....generally on days when I go out to work I am better and days when I am at home I am worse..for me, keeping busy is the key and a distraction from the situation I find myself in.....I often find it difficult to relax and focus on things which is why I ended up sorting out my sock drawer the other day...:(

Perhaps now is the time to start thinking more about myself......spent some time in the garden this afternoon sorting out old pots etc with view to replant bulbs tomorrow - I always find gardening quite therapeutic so weather permitting I will do some more as and when I can.....at least I will end up with a nice garden at the end of all of this:)

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hi Molly, yes you do need to look after yourself more, over caring for him in doors is stretching your own well being,
I am an aromatherapist and maybe a relaxation time would be good for you.
Think about trying this little technique, have a warm damp face cloth, drip a couple of drops of geranium essential oil on it and place in various places around your neck, face, for a few minutes each, with your eyes closed and think about fluffy clouds or something, and relax switch off your ears, and switch off the over caring section of your brain, it's Molly time!.
Do you think him in doors after the visit to podiatrist, and getting the verdict will be worried about things, even his holiday.

Molly maybe your doctor would give you the thorough over haul, have you had any blood tests done to check on your blood count and to ensure you are not becoming run down with all you are undertaking, keep posting Molly, ttfn

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Molly, yes you do need to look after yourself more, over caring for him in doors is stretching your own well being,
I am an aromatherapist and maybe a relaxation time would be good for you.
Think about trying this little technique, have a warm damp face cloth, drip a couple of drops of geranium essential oil on it and place in various places around your neck, face, for a few minutes each, with your eyes closed and think about fluffy clouds or something, and relax switch off your ears, and switch off the over caring section of your brain, it's Molly time!.
Do you think him in doors after the visit to podiatrist, and getting the verdict will be worried about things, even his holiday.

Molly maybe your doctor would give you the thorough over haul, have you had any blood tests done to check on your blood count and to ensure you are not becoming run down with all you are undertaking, keep posting Molly, ttfn

@Scouser58..... @donnellysdogs . ..I agree, it is time to start looking after myself more ...after all it is no good both of us being ill....

Have just managed to book two appointments with my GP...the first for me for tomorrow morning and the second for my partner next Wednesday...this will give me two opportunities to voice my worries and concerns...firstly on my own so that I can explain the "symptoms" of my stress and secondly at his appointment (where I will go along with him) where we will not be breaching any patient confidentiality issues.....hopefully this sounds like a plan:)

Not sure what the doctor will suggest tomorrow....I did have a blood test earlier this year (all ok at the time) but don't know if he will want to repeat this.

@Scouser58 In answer to your question about his forthcoming visit to the podiatrist I very much doubt that he will be worried about it....as far as he is concerned it is not a problem :banghead:and nothing will stop him from going on his holiday.

Having made the doctors appointments I can already feel the stress levels subsiding a little ......just the fact that I am doing something about it helps .....

Have decided today that I will spend my time in the garden....I find gardening is my therapy:)....also looking forward to my friend coming round later......Molly time today;)

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hi Molly, well done to you, and Molly time sounds great.
Hope things are ok with the gp when you see him, he takes time to listen and help you, keep in touch, ttfn

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Glad you made appointments Molly. Hope the GP listens..

Glad you got some Molly time. Gardening is a wonderful relaxation and fitness wellbeing hobby to have.
I garden asa job amongst other things I do and no doubt will be in it all the extra long weekend.. Come rain or sun!!

I have a gorgeous summerhouse too painted all cream and pink on the inside with lighting and music.. May be even water next year.... So I have a wonderful sanctuary when the showers occur.

Lok after yourself and hope something positive occurs at appts...

Anie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take care of yourself Molly. Hopefully the dr will listen to you and understand what you are going through and why. Good luck

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Scouser58 @donnellysdogs @Anie .....thank you for your kind messages....will let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Had a busy and productive day in the garden today...was great to get absorbed into something else today....feeling a little more relaxed than before:)....still feeling stressed though as problems still there but some improvement. ....and garden looks better too :)

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Molly, cultivating green fingers sounds really good to me, look forward to hearing from you tomorrow, ttfn