Insulin Pumps

allya

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
who is using an insulin pump and does it help to control levels better?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Me. Yes, 99% of time.

Reactions: 2 people

Hollister

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes :p
I want to use a pump. You still have to do the work to get them right, but it's alot more relaxed way of doing it - I believe.

allya

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I want to use a pump. You still have to do the work to get them right, but it's alot more relaxed way of doing it - I believe.
Thx for that! How easy was it for you to get a pump? In wondering if it all depends on where you live!?

Hollister

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
To be considered for a pump you have to have a good hba1c and carb count - according to my doctor. Who's refused for 3 years to give me one.

Hollister

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thx for that! How easy was it for you to get a pump? In wondering if it all depends on where you live!?

I'm not allowed a pump until I carb count though i'm finding it hard. I live in Romsey, England. I think it would be easy for me, if i was considered. However, I would like an Omnipod & I don't know if we actually have them in the UK lol x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes omnipods are in uk.

You canteach yourself carb counting online. I haven't got the link off the top of my head. Bournemouth hospital I think set this up.

What you would have to prove is that you qualify under the NICE guidelines. Again, someone will come along with info on this or a link.

I got my pump after 27 years lol.. But on 27th year I had circumstances that warranted one and I could have had it straight away because the hospital in South Wales had bought a large bulk qty of them. I had to wait two weeks because my nurse was on holiday.
I have never done a carb counting course, but I could prove very exactly that I could do it. I.e my log books had everything written in them from my types of food to injections to exercise to times of going to bed, getting up etc.

You can teach yourself online, but it is a minimum requirement for GP's to actually put you on a course...

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am, and yes it does help with control..........

it still needs the input from the user, but it makes getting motivated easier as it can cater for nearly every scenario............

more importantly for me though, is the insulin is used much more efficiently, which means less insulin is needed.....

allya

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thx to all of you that have commented on my post , it is very useful! I'm due to go on a TIFA course next month , finally ! They seem to be very slow on everything in Devon . I have been diabetic for 35 yrs now and the 5 injections a day for that many years are now taking there toll!

rbadgio

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on a pump, been on one for 6 mths now and they are fantastic. Been Diabetic for 27 years and I'm 90% in my target (this is the best I've ever been) Can't begin to describe the benefits of one. You have to jump through a lot of hoops to get one, it took me around a year to finally qualify, but the benefits are outstanding. Do it if you can!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm on a pump, been on one for 6 mths now and they are fantastic. Been Diabetic for 27 years and I'm 90% in my target (this is the best I've ever been) Can't begin to describe the benefits of one. You have to jump through a lot of hoops to get one, it took me around a year to finally qualify, but the benefits are outstanding. Do it if you can!

Just out of interest, do you write down your readings in a log book and your food etc? Do you look at your readings once a day and make appropriate changes etc...

Well done on getting 90% in target (assuming this is somewhere between 4 and 8 and not 2 to 20!)

D

Deleted member 83869

It's not overly down to hba1c because my hba1c wasn't great when I went on my pump it was close to 14 but you have to meet the NICE requirements! x

Maxine008

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi They want to put me on a pump for first time and i'm worried and want see what other reaction to the insulin pump our

iHs

Insulin pumps are only good when the settings are correct. To get the settings correct means paying attention to bg levels and adjusting the settings as needed. I usually have to subtly adjust the settings approx every 10 days to get the control ok again. I dont do anything out of the ordinary. The good thing for me is that with a lot of attention to the settings, nightime hypos are now non existent which is what my consultant wanted.

allya

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi They want to put me on a pump for first time and i'm worried and want see what other reaction to the insulin pump our
Im sure being on a pump will be a lot easier to control your blood sugars.I am hoping to be able to get to use the pump as i have been diabetic for 35 yrs and believe me i am nothing more than a pin cushion(ouch)
i think you hold give it a go and i haven't heard anybody mention that they are not a good option. Good luck