Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just sent someone a message with a website address in it. See what happens :watching:

Would it help if I hit the report button to attract mods' attention? Dying to do that, a bit like the communication cord on the train. (Do the trains still have them? Ages since I used public transport).

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would it help if I hit the report button to attract mods' attention? Dying to do that, a bit like the communication cord on the train. (Do the trains still have them? Ages since I used public transport).

Ooh, go for it!

And if there's a fine for unnecessary cord pulling (like there is on a train) then it's yours too!

I'll offer moral support when you get into trouble. :happy:

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooh, go for it!

And if there's a fine for unnecessary cord pulling (like there is on a train) then it's yours too!

I'll offer moral support when you get into trouble. :happy:
Brunneria
I can get into enough trouble without you encouraging me.
Why don't you do it?
You can say 'Pipp made me do it'.

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunneria
I can get into enough trouble without you encouraging me.
Why don't you do it?
You can say 'Pipp made me do it'.

But then you'd make me jump out of a window, and I might not like that bit...

Did anyone else have that weird, random conversation with a teacher?
'But Miss, he made me do it'
'And would you jump out of a window, if he told you to? No? Then you can decide not to let him 'make' you put drawing pins in Erica's plimsoles then, can't you?'

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But then you'd make me jump out of a window, and I might not like that bit...

Did anyone else have that weird, random conversation with a teacher?
'But Miss, he made me do it'
'And would you jump out of a window, if he told you to? No? Then you can decide not to let him 'make' you put drawing pins in Erica's plimsoles then, can't you?'

No, teacher just hit me for telling people to do bad stuff. Even though I didn't.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In software terms, it is a very simple thing to do to scan for a certain string of text and have it replaced by "[LINK REMOVED]" automatically, no moderator intervention required. The same thing is used to censoring swearing, offensive language etc. Somewhere there will be a list of prohibited websites. Easy peasy and no paranoia required :stop:

Reactions: 3 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
When I owned and ran forums like this, even as the website builder, I did not have access to private messages or passwords. The forum software let me change a password or remove somebody's right to private messaging, but all content was hidden. This forum may not be set up the same, but I'd be surprised is private messages weren't private - although on saying that, at one point (don't know if it's still true) they weren't private on Facebook.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

In software terms, it is a very simple thing to do to scan for a certain string of text and have it replaced by "[LINK REMOVED]" automatically, no moderator intervention required. The same thing is used to censoring swearing, offensive language etc. Somewhere there will be a list of prohibited websites. Easy peasy and no paranoia required :stop:
Thanks for the explanation :)

Someone has decided that a forum that didn't even exist a week ago should be added to a list of prohibited websites. So someone is paranoid :bag:

Reactions: 8 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have done a bit of moderating on a couple of forums in the past (a thankless task lol)
As a mod there was certainly no access to private messages and even when I had admin powers for a short time I don't believe it would be possible.
Gchq or the NSA probably .

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
It depends on the software and the options available to admin. There are forums where it is possible for admin to monitor PMs but in general I would agree with Indy's explanation.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So the general consensus is....we hope not, but we're still not sure?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Technically most things are possible Zand, but I would be very surprised and disturbed if it was actually being done.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I have a mate that works for QCHQ, & he reckons [CONVERSATION EDIT]
So it must be true...! ;)

Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone actually noticed a moderator online since this thread was started?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone actually noticed a moderator online since this thread was started?

Yep, I have one sat next to me holding a gun to my head as I type now!

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lol, OK I might not another chance to say this, so I'll say it now. I bought Run Ragged Cd the other day. It was nice knowing you Jaylee

Status
Not open for further replies.