Diagnosed April

saboteur

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody. I am 45 Diagnosed type 2 in April. I'm no literary giant, so I'll just tell my "story" as it comes to me...
I had a routine blood test for cholesterol in April this year. I hit a score of 13.4 on my blood sugar level and was told I was diabetic. Now I had the test on a Monday, the Saturday and Sunday previous I had a couple of bbq's and had a good few beers. I got my results on a Friday and explained I didn't think it was a true reflection due to the "exceptional" consumption of the weekend before. The nurse smiled and said I could have another fasting test but I was, in her opinion, diabetic. "ok" I said, "so what do I do?" I was told to "eat healthy, reduce sugar and salt intake".
I went away and looked at the sugar, salt and fat content in processed foods and promptly had a melt down. Even milk has sugar! I went a bit over board, I had a 2 egg scrambled egg for breakfast, a mackerel salad for lunch and dinner. Now I was 18 stone 9lb and use to a more substantial food intake. All I could think about was diabetes. The Mrs was telling me I was being silly, but I thought "what do you know" and became more anxious. I had the blood test on the Monday.
The following Tuesday, whilst in work, on a nightshift, I felt odd. It was while I was having lunch, a plain salad, my throat felt tight, I had a wave of feeling that something was really wrong and felt a bit detached from reality. I thought it was obviously diabetic related and got myself in to see my occupational health nurse. I explained I had just be diagnosed the Friday before and told her how I was feeling. She took my sugar level, which was 12.4, my temperature and my blood pressure. Then she calls an ambulance and I am taken to hospital. In the ambulance they took my sugar levels and it had gone down to 11.2. Now I was feeling a little bit more relaxed, being in the hands of experts. They were very reassuring.
In A&E I had my bloods taken and also a urine test. The sugar was 13.8 and my urine showed keytones(I think that's what they said). I had a doctor examine me and while listening to my chest I was asked if I had chest pains. Which I didn't. They gave me an ECG and again asked if I had chest pains or shortness of breath. I had another blood test and was then informed they were getting conflicting results. It was at this stage I was told I was in because I showed symptoms of heart attack!! The ECG was showing an irregularity in the electrolytes (I think) and the bloods were not showing an enzyme that is released during heart trauma.
Anyway, after a long and very worrying 20 hours of tests and questions I was discharged. I had an appointment with a cardiologist, as an outpatient. Well this was worrying but the only thing on my mind was FOOD!! Every time I ate I was worried. I had been signed off work so had more time to be obsessed.
I had my fasting test back and it was 8.4 but I needed another because a Hb1ac had not been done. I felt better because 13.4 to 8.4 was a big difference. However I still had food issues, I had cut out nearly all carbs, I was feeling really ****, had no energy and kept feeling light headed. But I was loosing weight.
I then got a phone call from my diabetic nurse to say my Hb1ac test was back and it was 72. She wanted to put me on Metformin because 72 was high. I went in to pick up my prescription and have a chat. She explained that the test reflected the past 3 months. I thought this was odd and pointed out that the result would be from 2 and a half months of pre diagnostic and surely it would be high? Especially as I had been finishing up the treats and drink left over from Christmas(as you do), during the time scale of the Hb1ac test. Fell on deaf ears.
"How about testing?"
"Don't need to."
"How do I know what foods are doing to me?"
"Doesn't matter, you are on Metformin."
"What foods should I be eating?"
I was given a picture of a plate with 3 sections. Meat, veg and carbs(I think) and referred to a Desmond course.
I got my own test kit. Test strips! OMG but for peace of mind I paid the price. My levels never went above low 6.
Now we're in mid May and I have still got food issues, Desmond course was set for mid September! I had an echocardiogram and was waiting for the results. I had also been referred for cognitive behavioural therapy, because I was showing symptoms of anxiety!
June comes and I'm still worried about food, still living on salads. After 6 weeks being signed off work(because of cardio exploration) the doctor received the results from the echo. I watched him frown and reread the notes, listen to my chest and back, reassure me everything was fine but wanted me to have an ECG. Had the ECG and found out I had a left bundle branch blockage. "Take it easy" the doctor told me and looked to send me on my way!
"TAKE IT EASY!?" I exclaimed. "You want to elaborate on that?".
"don't exert yourself" he said.
"what does that mean? Can I work?".
"I'll sign you off again, if you want" he says.
"what I want, is to know what it means and how EXACTLY this impacts my life"
"I'll refer you to a cardiologist" was his reply.
Well when I walked in to the reception area the receptionist asked me if I was ok, as I "didn't look right". I explained to her what happened and she suggested seeing another doctor in the practice but had no appointments until next week. So I booked one. For a week I was scared to bloody cough!
I saw the doctor, he explained a bit more and I was reassured enough to decide to go back to work but on light duties. Being at home just allowed me time to constantly mull things over and was driving me crazy! He also prescribed me test strips!

saboteur

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Food was still a big issue so I phoned a lady from the Desmond course, for a chat. She was great, and after hearing how I was dealing with the diagnosis she placed me on a course at the beginning of July, only a couple of weeks away. After I spoke to her I relaxed a bit with my diet (I even had an ice cream, but worried all night about it) but because I was now unable to exercise I was still concerned with loosing weight. The only meal I allowed myself a bit of leeway with was dinner.
July comes and being back at work I feel less stressful, I still have periods where I don't feel right and light headed but put it down to anxiety, like I have been told. I get a date for the cardiologist, September...so long away! But I have 3 weeks annual leave coming up at the end of July, so not too bad. I have another blood test, everything was great, hb1ac was down to 40 and fasting sugar was 7.3(although I am sure stress causes my levels to rise). Discussed coming off Metformin and being diet controlled, I said I'd rather stay on it until I find out what is going on with my heart. I didn't want to stress myself out anymore at this stage. The nurse agreed, pointing out Metformin has beneficial cardio properties.
Desmond course was very informative, I was the newest diagnosed there, most were 5- 15 years in. I would recommend the course, even the longer diagnosed were surprised at some of the information.
I make it through to annual leave in high spirits, I only had 1 day off sick, my own fault, pushed myself physically.
Had 3 great weeks off, holidayed with the wife and kids, plenty of relaxing on the beach but also long walks, which encouraged me as far as my stamina was concerned.
4 days before I go back to work, Thursday, we have some family over, as we are in the middle of online family research. We have some "easy" food, pizzas, salad and garlic bread. Of which I had more than my fill, I even had two cans of Ale, which I had stayed clear of since diagnosis. Suddenly I felt weird, I got up and went into the kitchen and made a pretence of washing up. I had a pressure in my chest, I put it down to bloody anxiety because I felt guilty for eating so much pizza and bread, which I don't normally touch. It comes and goes for the next 2 days, by Saturday evening it gets to a point where I call for an ambulance. I explain to the medics I have a LBBB and I have a pressure in my chest rather than a pain, as such. They put me in the ambulance, run an ECG, give me aspirin and spray under the tongue. Then call in a code blue and rush me to hospital.
They take me into majors, the doc looks at the ECG print outs and sends us to minors. To which the medics are complaining he doesn't know his **** from his elbow! Minors send us to Royal London Chest! 25 minutes of sirens across London, feeling a little bit anxious now. Met by a team, a brief exchange of info, taken into the "lab" and I'm stripped and prepped for an angiogram. I think they gave me a sedative because everything went a bit surreal, they told me I would feel a burning as they injected me. And I did, running up my arm, but although I knew it hurt, it didn't seem to matter. Then Bam, my heart hurt, I don't have any words to describe the pain, I thought they were putting a stent in and didn't want to move! I told them I was in real pain here and they gave me two doses of morphine which dulled the pain. Turns out my heart went into spasm as a reaction to dye they inject. No heart attack! My valves and arteries were not blocked but ventricle was not pumping properly.
Spent next 3 days hooked up to monitors in the coronary care unit. My heart was constantly racing but blood pressure was spot on, the nurses said my sugar levels were good, especially as I could not take the Metformin. Highest was on admission 9.3(stress?) but the rest after meals was 6.1-6.3.
Still no definite diagnosis, although they obviously have an idea. I need an MRI to find the cause, which they made an appointment for, December! They allowed me to be discharged, taking 3 tablets a day to help with the problem.
I phoned the appointment department the next day, just to see if I could be put on a list, if there was a short notice cancelation. To my elation they had an appointment for September!
So four months in, I have lost 4 stone. I am starting to get my diet sorted while still maintaining a reasonable glucose level. I am getting pains in my chest that come and go but it's only been 4 days since my heart went in to spasm and also the tablets are making my heart work in a different way. So I'm assuming this is the reason behind the pains. I have doctors Friday, so I'll ask then.
Can't get rid of the feeling the people closest to me don't understand the emotional and mental impact this has had on me. I know I'm not dying but sometimes it feels like it.
I'm afraid I don't have any meaningful conclusion. Just thought I'd share my experience so far.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Good read
welcome to the forum.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Thank you.
Sorry I'm no help mate but I'm fairly new myself.
Everything I do know and trust ... has been gleaned from the people on this forum.
Nothing from my doctors other than the picture of the plate.
They do provide strips which is good.

Barca54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everybody. I am 45 Diagnosed type 2 in April. I'm no literary giant, so I'll just tell my "story" as it comes to me...
I had a routine blood test for cholesterol in April this year. I hit a score of 13.4 on my blood sugar level and was told I was diabetic. Now I had the test on a Monday, the Saturday and Sunday previous I had a couple of bbq's and had a good few beers. I got my results on a Friday and explained I didn't think it was a true reflection due to the "exceptional" consumption of the weekend before. The nurse smiled and said I could have another fasting test but I was, in her opinion, diabetic. "ok" I said, "so what do I do?" I was told to "eat healthy, reduce sugar and salt intake".
I went away and looked at the sugar, salt and fat content in processed foods and promptly had a melt down. Even milk has sugar! I went a bit over board, I had a 2 egg scrambled egg for breakfast, a mackerel salad for lunch and dinner. Now I was 18 stone 9lb and use to a more substantial food intake. All I could think about was diabetes. The Mrs was telling me I was being silly, but I thought "what do you know" and became more anxious. I had the blood test on the Monday.
The following Tuesday, whilst in work, on a nightshift, I felt odd. It was while I was having lunch, a plain salad, my throat felt tight, I had a wave of feeling that something was really wrong and felt a bit detached from reality. I thought it was obviously diabetic related and got myself in to see my occupational health nurse. I explained I had just be diagnosed the Friday before and told her how I was feeling. She took my sugar level, which was 12.4, my temperature and my blood pressure. Then she calls an ambulance and I am taken to hospital. In the ambulance they took my sugar levels and it had gone down to 11.2. Now I was feeling a little bit more relaxed, being in the hands of experts. They were very reassuring.
In A&E I had my bloods taken and also a urine test. The sugar was 13.8 and my urine showed keytones(I think that's what they said). I had a doctor examine me and while listening to my chest I was asked if I had chest pains. Which I didn't. They gave me an ECG and again asked if I had chest pains or shortness of breath. I had another blood test and was then informed they were getting conflicting results. It was at this stage I was told I was in because I showed symptoms of heart attack!! The ECG was showing an irregularity in the electrolytes (I think) and the bloods were not showing an enzyme that is released during heart trauma.
Anyway, after a long and very worrying 20 hours of tests and questions I was discharged. I had an appointment with a cardiologist, as an outpatient. Well this was worrying but the only thing on my mind was FOOD!! Every time I ate I was worried. I had been signed off work so had more time to be obsessed.
I had my fasting test back and it was 8.4 but I needed another because a Hb1ac had not been done. I felt better because 13.4 to 8.4 was a big difference. However I still had food issues, I had cut out nearly all carbs, I was feeling really ****, had no energy and kept feeling light headed. But I was loosing weight.
I then got a phone call from my diabetic nurse to say my Hb1ac test was back and it was 72. She wanted to put me on Metformin because 72 was high. I went in to pick up my prescription and have a chat. She explained that the test reflected the past 3 months. I thought this was odd and pointed out that the result would be from 2 and a half months of pre diagnostic and surely it would be high? Especially as I had been finishing up the treats and drink left over from Christmas(as you do), during the time scale of the Hb1ac test. Fell on deaf ears.
"How about testing?"
"Don't need to."
"How do I know what foods are doing to me?"
"Doesn't matter, you are on Metformin."
"What foods should I be eating?"
I was given a picture of a plate with 3 sections. Meat, veg and carbs(I think) and referred to a Desmond course.
I got my own test kit. Test strips! OMG but for peace of mind I paid the price. My levels never went above low 6.
Now we're in mid May and I have still got food issues, Desmond course was set for mid September! I had an echocardiogram and was waiting for the results. I had also been referred for cognitive behavioural therapy, because I was showing symptoms of anxiety!
June comes and I'm still worried about food, still living on salads. After 6 weeks being signed off work(because of cardio exploration) the doctor received the results from the echo. I watched him frown and reread the notes, listen to my chest and back, reassure me everything was fine but wanted me to have an ECG. Had the ECG and found out I had a left bundle branch blockage. "Take it easy" the doctor told me and looked to send me on my way!
"TAKE IT EASY!?" I exclaimed. "You want to elaborate on that?".
"don't exert yourself" he said.
"what does that mean? Can I work?".
"I'll sign you off again, if you want" he says.
"what I want, is to know what it means and how EXACTLY this impacts my life"
"I'll refer you to a cardiologist" was his reply.
Well when I walked in to the reception area the receptionist asked me if I was ok, as I "didn't look right". I explained to her what happened and she suggested seeing another doctor in the practice but had no appointments until next week. So I booked one. For a week I was scared to bloody cough!
I saw the doctor, he explained a bit more and I was reassured enough to decide to go back to work but on light duties. Being at home just allowed me time to constantly mull things over and was driving me crazy! He also prescribed me test strips!
I'm new here too. The posts I have had back have been brill; sorry cannot suggest anything helpful other than fellow experienced diabetics knock spots of the professionals. Stick with it, it's like reaching home!

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Welcome .... I can totally relate to the anxiety and being at home with 'too much time on my hands' makes matters worse, plus the anxiety can increase your sugar levels so a viscious circle. Can you please tell me how much the strips are in the UK? I think I paid $65 for 100 here in Oz (around 28 pounts)

You can get them on prescription here which I hear makes them a lot cheaper. My Endo is going to give me a 'script next time I see him. The meter I got was $45 (around 19 pounds) and I got all of it back on my private health insurance, but the tightarses wouldn't give me any thing back for the strips ... all this for the priviledge of paying them $500 a month!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Saboteur, just read the 2nd half of your story; great news re. your weight loss .. I sympathise with the anxiety you must be feeling. The waiting around for appointments / results is just the worst. At least if you 'know' you can take action; not knowing is just the pits.