Blood sugars up after exercise.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Have been exercising hard for the last week. My levels before this were 5.4 first thing in the morning, now 8.4.
Is this usual? No change of diet.

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you exercise in the morning or evening? I find I actually need some extra insulin if I cycle in the morning, due to the dawn phenomenon. However, this is not the case if I exercise in the afternoon/evening.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you exercise in the morning or evening? I find I actually need some extra insulin if I cycle in the morning, due to the dawn phenomenon. However, this is not the case if I exercise in the afternoon/evening.

Exercise in the evening, not on medication. Checked blood one evening, after exercise 6.9, next morning 8.4. I can understand that change, the time lag but odd that it was consistently 54. then steps up once I am exercising hard. Body stimulated to release more sugars, however, will keep going for a couple of weeks before bothering the Dr.

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exercising hard encourages the liver to release glucose as it replicates the fight or flight response so it is quite normal for your blood sugar to increase. Just keep an eye on it but you will find this should be fairly consistent. Just be warned about longer term hypos though as after the initial glucose release you can be more susceptible for up to 12 hours afterwards.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Exercise in evening, testing blood next morning. Not using insulin. Yet.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Exercising hard encourages the liver to release glucose as it replicates the fight or flight response so it is quite normal for your blood sugar to increase. Just keep an eye on it but you will find this should be fairly consistent. Just be warned about longer term hypos though as after the initial glucose release you can be more susceptible for up to 12 hours afterwards.

Thanks, makes sense. Might try exercising in the morning to avoid the rise in sugar hanging around all night. Suspect it might 'burn' off more quickly during the day.