In Case of Emergency

G

graj0

Morning all,

there has been some discussion recently about whether to tell prospective employers about one's diabetes and although I have my opinion I would like to think that I'm big enough and ugly enough to respect other people's opinions. The one thing that I don't remember anyone mentioning was the carrying of something to inform people of one's medical condition in the case of an emergency, and that obviously goes beyond diabetes.

There's a whole range of bracelets, wristbands, pendants, credit cards, dog tags etc etc.

I was just wondering if anybody carries one and maybe has anyone been in the unfortunate position in actually having had an emergency where one of these things has been a godsend or perhaps not even noticed. Any experience?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought a wrist band and I wear it. I did so because there is a feeling about that diabetics are somehow at fault and they wonder if they should tell people or keep it a secret.

I am a type 2 and am pretty unlikely to ever rely on it in an emergency situation but I thought a touch of diabetes pride was called for. I wear the wrist band and bore people with conversations about food etc.

Reactions: 12 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought a wrist band and I wear it. I did so because there is a feeling about that diabetics are somehow at fault and they wonder if they should tell people or keep it a secret.

I am a type 2 and am pretty unlikely to ever rely on it in an emergency situation but I thought a touch of diabetes pride was called for. I wear the wrist band and bore people with conversations about food etc.
That's a brilliant idea. Diabetes pride. I like it.:)

Reactions: 6 people

Kaz70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm also type 2 and got this one off Amazon, I like it because it's not to obvious but it's there IF it's needed, I wasn't going to bother and then I read something about - if you were rushed into hospital, how would they know!
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1408607302.146386.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah much like @Squire Fulwood I have some pride in my full time job of being diabetic and wear a bracelet declairing so. Mainly because I have had quite bad hypo 'spells' where for weeks I struggle to get above 5 or 6.

To be honest its never been needed but gives me and close family peace of mind.

Reactions: 5 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I was on medication, I think I'd wear some kind of alert. I think it's a great idea for Type 1s, people with epilepsy, etc.

Reactions: 4 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Like @Squire Fullwood I wear a sillycoon bracelet saying I'm t2 insulin dependant a few years ago my friend also diabetic were appalled to see another diabetic being accused of being drunk when they had a hypo, so we got ourselves a band to tell other people we were not pheads, got hubby one to warn people he has heart problems and must not be given Ibuprofen as it will make him haemorrhage, Like the idea Diabetic Pride.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
I wear a gold Medic Alert bracelet ... on the back it says I have Addisons Disease and am allergic to aspirin. It also has my member number so emergency personnel can call and get info from them re medication, who my Endo is etc. I also have a Medic Alert card with same info that I keep in my wallet. A friend who is an ambulance paramedic said you're better off carrying a card in your wallet with emergency info as if you're in an accident a bracelet/necklace can come off, whereas in the event of emergency the paramedics look in your wallet to see who you are. I would like to think that if they see I have Addisons they would inject me with cortosil .... otherwise I could be in all sorts of trouble!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have card in my wallet................never had anything else like jewelry........

not needed it so far............hypos are spotted well in advance and I carry sugary juice for these events.......

I suppose I have some pride in my diabetes, but its not something I would feel I should shout from the rooftops, we are no different to anyone else.........;)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No jewellery but do carry a card in my wallet that says I have type 1 diabetes, also keep one in my coat pocket and in the glove compartment in my car. Never had to rely on them as I've been fortunate enough to never have needed any third-party assistance.

Tracieo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My lovely daughter makes jewellery and has made me several alert bracelets. I am very fortunate that she had made matching earrings and pendant danglies to match. I currently have about 10 sets which means I am not stuck on one color only. I have seen some lovely ones on ebay and she is currently working on a new lot. I will take some picures when I get home and add them to the post.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got one of these http://www.sostalisman.co.uk/ had it since I was a teenager - contains emergency contacts, blood group, allergies, medical conditions etc. When I'm at home the pendant lives on my keyring, but when I'm on holiday I wear it as a necklace with details of where I'm staying added. As a solo traveller it's a precaution just in case something happens to me

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have card in my wallet................never had anything else like jewelry........

not needed it so far............hypos are spotted well in advance and I carry sugary juice for these events.......

I suppose I have some pride in my diabetes, but its not something I would feel I should shout from the rooftops, we are no different to anyone else.........;)

I would argue we are different to everyone else. We work 10x harder just to stay alive for instance

Reactions: 7 people

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wear a gold Medic Alert bracelet ... on the back it says I have Addisons Disease and am allergic to aspirin. It also has my member number so emergency personnel can call and get info from them re medication, who my Endo is etc. I also have a Medic Alert card with same info that I keep in my wallet. A friend who is an ambulance paramedic said you're better off carrying a card in your wallet with emergency info as if you're in an accident a bracelet/necklace can come off, whereas in the event of emergency the paramedics look in your wallet to see who you are. I would like to think that if they see I have Addisons they would inject me with cortosil .... otherwise I could be in all sorts of trouble!

My god I had to check to see if I'd written this. What are the odds of someone else wearing a gold medic alert bracelet who also has Addison's disease, is allergic to aspirin and diabetic!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Diabetes co uk medic alert bracelet and an insulin dependent bracelet too.

Feel better with them,than without them as I have quite specific instructions on DNR and this is all listed against my id number..

Would love to have my surname tattooed on my lower back and date of birth like my friend has. His was done because he's always getting into scrapes one way or another...he thought it best way to be identified.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
My god I had to check to see if I'd written this. What are the odds of someone else wearing a gold medic alert bracelet who also has Addison's disease, is allergic to aspirin and diabetic!
Not sure about the Aspirin bit but Addisons and Type 1 or LADA can come in clusters (seems once you get one autoimmune disease you get 'blessed' with at least one other!)

Quite a coincidence .. but luckily as yet I don't have diabetes. I am fighting the war against developing type 2 (I'm insulin resistant) but at risk of LADA because of my high GAD antibody titre. Hanging around this forum is helping me stay on track with my new way of eating and, in the event of LADA or type 2, at least I should be well prepared :)

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a bracelet saying I'm t1, my name and contact number for my boyfriend ice.
I also carry a card in my wallet with my name and most important conditions and meds.