Hobbies anyone??

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
There are many basic knitting books out there, personally I would go to the library and borrow one to see if you can get back into it before buying, as some books are very expensive.

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Every boy had to learn to knit when I was at school.
Didn't like it much back then ... for girls was our attitude.
When I think back to the different women I've known over all those years I reckon it must be seriously relaxing and exhilerating ... having a chat with someone watching tv and those needles just carry on clicking and clacking in there very quite muffled way.

Reactions: 3 people

milly_moo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow - there are some very talented people on here.
I do a bit of knitting but currently can only manage scarves. I could probably do more with a bit of practice. My other hobby is ice skating - I skated a bit as a child, then started having lessons a year ago and have passed some very basic ice dances. I find it's a great way to exercise.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wish I could knit!!! My nan taught me left handed sort of knitting and being right handed I never attempted it since age of 8.

You have just given me another hobby to try. I would love to be able to knit properly. My mum is fantastic and still knits me fantastic jumpers and woolly skirts. However, I think it's about time I learnt again.

Do I need to get somebodyto show me or can I rekindle the knowledge from 40+ years ago from a knitting book? (is there such a thing for basic learners?)

YouTube is your friend for this one. Just type "learn to knit" in the search box and hundreds of returns come up.

I have used YouTube to improve my results on upholstery projects. There are some top tips on there for the tricky bits around piping, and sculpting cushions into non-standard spaces.

Enjoy!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
YouTube is your friend for this one. Just type "learn to knit" in the search box and hundreds of returns come up.

I have used YouTube to improve my results on upholstery projects. There are some top tips on there for the tricky bits around piping, and sculpting cushions into non-standard spaces.

Enjoy!

Thank you.. Brilliant

Also, I too love iceskating. Take kids and yes, I admit, I love showing them backwards, swirls n twirls! Got approached by a coach at 10 years old and we lived too far away according to my parents. Still love it.

tisme

:rolleyes:
I thought it might be interesting to see what hobbies everyone does. I myself am a serial hobbyist having tried Stone painting, gemstone tumbling along with gemstone pictures. Glass engraving, painting, There is a glass kiln still waiting to be used. I have been a member of Paint Shop Pro groups for 13 years (that comes and goes). I went to college I thought to study Aromatherapy and Reflexology as a hobby, but that turned into a coarse with qualifications, also spiritual healing and meditation, and Indian Head Massage. Tai-Chi. I worked in a wholesale jewellery workshop for 10years. My latest hobby started a couple of weeks ago is making beaded jewellery. And I have made some lovey sets. To get me away from sitting at the computer all day. What hobbies have you tried? And what hobby do you follow now.

I love Family History

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My cousin did that for my mum's side.. Fascinating... What is a baby born with a veil over it's face. Thats what one relative was listed as!!

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
My hobby is thinking of crafts that the children at the library can do during school holidays, that is fun :(

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow - there are some very talented people on here.
I do a bit of knitting but currently can only manage scarves. I could probably do more with a bit of practice. My other hobby is ice skating - I skated a bit as a child, then started having lessons a year ago and have passed some very basic ice dances. I find it's a great way to exercise.

Wow ice skating, that's really cool! I longboard... Probably nothing similar in these things at all but it's also great fun as well as excersize!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Wow ice skating, that's really cool! I longboard... Probably nothing similar in these things at all but it's also great fun as well as excersize!

Whats longboard?

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A long skateboard... Mainly used for cruising as the trucks are wider and wheels are bigger which in turn gives you a smooth ride. Not usually associated with doing tricks but you can do them apparently, think there's a few vids on YouTube.

Markuse

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm very into photography, mostly nature and architecture. Spending some weekends at animal shelters giving these poor souls some attention is also a very filling and great experience.
Recently I've been thinking about learning to play guitar. Seems like a cozy thing to do at cold winter evenings.

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
Would love to upgrade, and it's killing me at times to see some of the newer cameras. Micro Focus adjustment is something I'm drooling over. I know my focusing can be much sharper on a few of the lens I have, I just lack that feature on my current camera. Unfortunately some surprise car repairs have depleted any chance of getting something soon. :(

loved the photo's, i did an online course with the open university (a short one) it was really good, we had to post online and give comments, it couldn't be negative, but how it could be improved within the boundary of that lesson or why it was good, it gave really positive criticism and was a great help to improve.
just yesterday i got a new macro lens nikon 105 2.8f, i love it, wanted it for the trip to Canada, thought i would kick myself if i wished i had it, i find i struggle a bit getting the depth of field as i want it, just have to keep at it, enjoying it is the main thing

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
I'm very into photography, mostly nature and architecture. Spending some weekends at animal shelters giving these poor souls some attention is also a very filling and great experience.
Recently I've been thinking about learning to play guitar. Seems like a cozy thing to do at cold winter evenings.

do you have one of those special lens for architecture, or do you compensate post production, not keen enough to buy one but wondered how good they are

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
loved the photo's, i did an online course with the open university (a short one) it was really good, we had to post online and give comments, it couldn't be negative, but how it could be improved within the boundary of that lesson or why it was good, it gave really positive criticism and was a great help to improve.
just yesterday i got a new macro lens nikon 105 2.8f, i love it, wanted it for the trip to Canada, thought i would kick myself if i wished i had it, i find i struggle a bit getting the depth of field as i want it, just have to keep at it, enjoying it is the main thing

Always nice when you get a new photography toy :cool:

The courses that I did have a Facebook group to post photos to and get criticism/advice on which is really helpful.

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
Always nice when you get a new photography toy :cool:

The courses that I did have a Facebook group to post photos to and get criticism/advice on which is really helpful.

have you been on any courses with a pro photographer, i did a day on flash with John Clements he was fantastic shared all his knowledge, also did a couple of days with Chris Weston, wolves in Scotland, big cats in Kent, loved being so close to them

milly_moo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I used to do a bit of skateboarding as a kid but not sure I'd have the nerve now. I tried rollerblading last year - managed to do a few of my ice skating moves then fell over on the way back into the house and got a nasty wrist injury despite wearing wrist / elbow / knee pads.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
have you been on any courses with a pro photographer, i did a day on flash with John Clements he was fantastic shared all his knowledge, also did a couple of days with Chris Weston, wolves in Scotland, big cats in Kent, loved being so close to them
I did a couple of Natural Light Portrait photography courses with a local pro photographer
Didn't really know how to use my camera before that and was one of the best things I ever did.

Last edited by a moderator:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My cousin did that for my mum's side.. Fascinating... What is a baby born with a veil over it's face. Thats what one relative was listed as!!
Think that would be the caul ie the small piece of the amniotic membrane. It's traditionally supposed to be lucky http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caul

Re knitting, I've only once ever finished any knitting. I knitted 3 jumpers in the 3 months before diagnosis, I had become really sedentary presumably because I had so little available glucose. I haven't picked up a pair of needles since.

Hobbies, piano and concertina playing (or lets say learning) running, walking, lifelong learning ( I don't think there is a time that I haven't been doing a course on something or other for the last 40 years; at the moment it's genetics)
I've done a fair bit of genealogy and found some fascinating things about both mine and my OH family. Not so much nowadays but we 'found' OHs second cousin because we both responded to a request on a local history site about a shop their mutual great grand father owned

Last edited by a moderator: