Results

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I eventually plucked up the courage to phone GP for results and a chat( had no choice as dispensary said I had to speak to him re meds) this morning. He was really pleased with things but still wants me to double up my metformin to 4 a day to protect my heart!
Anyway HbA1c at diagnosis was apparently 8.6%( I'd naively thought it was just a normal blood glucose test then) and two months later it was 6.5% so he is pleased. I guess some of that last test will be a hangover from the previous carb fest days pre-diagnosis as the nurse took bloods a month early as I was at surgery for something else. Don't need to go back till New Year now for bloods so hoping that it will be even lower then as my meter is averaging 5.9 these days on BS readings.
Didn't mention my errant BP so just going to monitor that at home myself and go if it seems high.
Just got the Desmond course to get through next week and retinal screening.
BTW does anyone take B12 supplements from Boots? Mentioned that I'd read about metformin causing B12 issues and he said I would be ok as I eat a varied diet but I'd ;like to take one in case if they are ok to take.

Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
That's brilliant CE, well done!

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

Great results.
:)

As to the B12, this article explains it. As they are water soluble you will pee out any excess. You may be wasting your money but unless you have a blood test then you will never know.

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.c...metformin_and_risk_for_vitamin_b12_deficiency

In recent years, there’s been some concern over the risk of vitamin B12 deficiency in people who take metformin. Vitamin B12 (also known as cyanocobalamin or cobalamin) plays many important roles in the body, such as keeping your blood cells and nervous system in tip top shape. There’s also some evidence that vitamin B12 may help prevent heart disease and possibly even Alzheimer disease (the jury is still out on this one). This vitamin is found primarily in animal foods, such as beef, seafood, eggs, and dairy products, which is why some vegetarians are at risk for a B12 deficiency. Elderly people are often at risk for deficiency as well, due to problems with absorption from the gastrointestinal tract. Symptoms of B12 deficiency include certain types of anemia, neuropathy, memory loss, confusion, and even dementia.

This link explains more about the fact that they are water soluble but that they are not harmless if taken in excess..

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=79102

The water-soluble vitamins are B and C. The B vitamins include thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, pyridoxine, and B12. The water-soluble vitamins are easily dissolved and can be excreted in the urine. This does not mean that you can take these in unlimited quantities. There can be problems with excessive amounts, so upper limits have also been set for the water-soluble vitamins. You can find detailed information on sources, requirements, functions, and upper limit levels for all vitamins at the USDA Food and Nutrition Information Center.

Hope this helps.

CC.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks- I'll probably take a supplement just in case. GP isn't going to test as I asked him about it and he said I would be ok with my diet but I have fibromyalgia as well and know that it is implicated in that too.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well dome on your results Cold Ethyl :)

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news CE. I'm really pleased for you. Hard work does pay off.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hurrah, well done.
You will show them next time they do HbA1c

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I wish I'd held out to have the test done this month so fewer of the shocking results that must have been lurking in the weeks prior to first test might have dropped out but I'm still quite pleased with that result as I still have a heap of weight to lose as well.

Reactions: 4 people

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
well done to you thats brillient xx

A

Avocado Sevenfold

How did I miss this? Well done Ethyl on your fab progress :joyful:

thanks- I'll probably take a supplement just in case. GP isn't going to test as I asked him about it and he said I would be ok with my diet but I have fibromyalgia as well and know that it is implicated in that too.

I managed to get my nurse to test my B12 and it came back ok, but I am taking a Boots multivitamin with iron once a day. It has 100% RDA B12. Belt and braces.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks- I have started on a B12 supplement and will get some D3 for the winter months after a friend on facebook was ranting about it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My story with b12 and fibromyalgia...

2003 diagnosed with pernicious anaemia (b12 deficency). Not a bad diet.. But eating some bread, some cereal and some home made meals, but also some readymeals.

Injections of B12.

About 2009 I think a new gp said my levels of B12 did not warrant injections any more.

Paid privately to have B12 and mineral infusions.

2012 thought to myself "why don't I just let levels drop and then nhs will have to give me injections. Took multivitamin instead.

2014 stopped multivitamins. Gp's still monitor my B12. They are off the scale on the upper side...

Now, the only difference is that really doesn't make sense to me is:

I don't eat bread at all.
Spuds with 2 dinners a year.
Majority of my food is homebaked,no flour. (Except higgledy piggledy crustless quiche)
Salads or veg everyday.
Coconut products or ground almonds,
Cream every day.

My levels have jumped so much that I have had to have tests for luekaemia and scans for liver and spleen etc.

I have not found a reason (nor gp's) for huge increases in B12 but I would certainly say not to take a separate B12 supplement without a B12 test.

I'm not sure how or why my levels have changed so much but I would advise a test before supplements AND try to analyse how much B12 is in your daily diet.

And fibro was diagnosed in 2011. Both fibro and pernicious anaemia have now been removed from my records. Fitness wise I feel the best that I have been in 30 years...

Last edited by a moderator: