Testing and injecting at work

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I test at my work bench and inject usually outside for lunch but if it rains then I do it inside, no one minds and they ask about my diabetes but of course I get the odd comment "junkie" but it's only in jest!

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Openly test and inject at work, or anywhere I happen to be, if it is needed.
Also I'm a first aider, but the only testing diabetic at work, I have told every one I work with (30 people) what to do if I take ill if they think something is wrong ask me to test (I have a hypo kit in work fridge) get hypo kit, if unconscious call an ambulance, do not inject me ever.

Beausrus

Thanks for your replies, I just wondered what the norm is in the workplace, I raised my questions but was told they would get back to me as no one seemed to know

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Hi all,

Sorry if this question was asked already, but I'm curious how people deal with testing BG and injecting insulin during the day - mostly at work. I try to go to the toilet to make my tests and injections (fortunately, toilets at our office are quite clean). I'm not even sure what's the "polite" way of doing this - if I make a test at my desk, is it socially-acceptable? Or would people freak out?

I will pull my meter out where ever I am and test, be it at the office or out in the field at a school (even out at a restaurant with my family) I test where ever I am without thinking about it. Injecting I try not to do in washrooms as most are not the best places to do so. At the office I'll just go to the back room area and do it, at a school since I tend to be in the gym i'll duck behind the curtain on the stage and do it (so I don't bother the kids if there are any in the gym at the time - though I've dun it out in the open with them around before, had a few kids who where also diabetic come up and ask wy I didn't have to go to the nurses office to take my injection - which is a little comical but understandable).

I've only had a few negative experiences once had the cops called on me because I was doing my insulin in the washroom - a lady came in screamed and ran out, next thing I know I've got two cars in the parking lot of the restaurant and a couple officers walking over to my table to question me about the "illegal drugs I was shooting into myself, which in the washroom" ::rolls eyes:: showed them my insulin and they went from being hard line officers to appolgetic and actually reaming out the one who called them (plus having a few words with the establishment - shrugs).