Depressed

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
G'day from Oz Australia @martin80 I like to put a different spin on things.

As we age we have a whole lot of medical problems to face and diabetes is one of the better ones, even if there is no cure.

We can have a great life without wheel chair ramps or full time carers.

So in other words; "it aint that bad"

The trick is to make it interesting and even fun so I look for ways to do that all the time.

To get a full appreciation of where we are at in the scheme of things I like to go back.and check out our chances of being here at all let alone being here in moderately good health.

The chances of us having a breathable planet to stand on are billions to one
The chances of our predecessors living long enough to breed and rear their young is at least millions to one
The chances of us being here at this time in technology development is billions to one
Anyway I am sure you get the idea.

All we have to do is enjoy the experience. No one can make us have fun but we are mad if we don't.

Pedants are people who are pedantic and they get so worried about getting the detail right they forget the main game.

We all get pedantic at some time in our lives and then we need to reset our values.

As for diabetes it is just a game - in a game someone is trying to do something and someone is trying to stop them doing it. We all enjoy winning a game.

Routine in eating and exercise/activity makes diabetes easier to control so when you get that going you have the game 90% won for that day. The meds become routine and you should be continually looking for more fun ways of eating and playing.

Re just need to reset your values and not be pedantic just follow the main game.

And look forward to the interesting fun times ahead.

The first hobby I would suggest is becoming a keen inventive cook. That will give you better diet control, an interest and a bit of light physical activity.

There are 3 adults in our house and we all have at least one meal per day with no major carbs and we all cook and enjoy eating great new foods. My son makes chocolate cake and I make patty cakes with icing and rum balls all have no major carbs. We are eating Asian stir fries and great meals in a slow cooker set and forget for up to 8 hours and BBQ . We are searching the net for recipes and cooking ideas and using wine and diet coke and peanut butter to make exotic sauces all major carb free.

The main game from here in is having fun and keeping BS under control. The rest matters, but it is not the main game any more.

Last edited by a moderator:

bud2367

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im so down today. Could just really cry.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Hello Martin, I am a new member from Glasgow , and if that's not depressing enough, I am well and truly depressed, I have been t1 for 40+ years and now bits drop off in the cold weather (or summer) if you feel like a cry have one, but go and get help for your depression, I never did for years and it was murder. Nowadays with all the technology and awareness of diabetes in many ways it's easier and you can avoid the complications. When I was a boy I was ashamed and embarrassed , now I could not care less. It's like having curly hair that's what makes you, you . It never stopped me playing rugby, weightlifting, running, etc but I learned to control it, not always successfully but hey! Do whatever you can to grasp the nettle with your diabetes, a mere insignificance, and then start afresh with your depression/ life. Hope you don't find this offensive, it's not meant to be, cheers bud

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you all very much for all the help and advice. My down mood is sometimes family life sometimes work and sometimes diabetes. I cannot control my blood sugar all the time, but when i do get them level, i either end up not eating (hypo) or eating and not taking insulin. My doctors and nurses have say "there only one person that can do something about it and its you". I hate the fact that i am yawning all the time, i get my sleep dont get me wrong but im always tired. I told that if i write my sugar down that will give me better control. But after a week or day it stops.

Sent from my ALCATEL one touch 990 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Hey there,
Do you try to minimise carbs at all? I just wonder if you don't already minimise carbs, it might be worth considering. Trying to balance your insulin with meals can be a real faff - it may be a way to take some of the hassle out of diabetes?
Yawning - constantly tired, yes it could be blood sugars, but it's also symptomatic of depression.
Probably the last thing on your mind at the moment, but have you tried engaging in any form of exercise to help get those endorphins kicked into life?

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Hi Martin

I'm not qualified to give you advice on T1 diabetes but I can share my own experience with depression. I was wondering how long you've been on your anti-depressant? I have changed mine many times (just come off them) as there were some I did not get on with at all and others, after a while, their effects wear off and a change to a different one is required. Are you depressed about anything in particular? I know this is a question hated by people with depression as generally, clinical depression is just 'being depressed', flat mood, no motivation etc. but I had to ask anyway.

Do you have anyone to talk to about this? I have had much counselling over the years, some experiences were helpful, others not. I had a very good counsellor when I first suffered from depression (she was also a GP previously) and her first question (before my bum hit the chair) was always 'are you looking after yourself, are you exercising and are you doing your relaxation'? Exercise is great for depression, but from experience I know when you are depressed you lack motivation so it's a bit of a viscous circle. And of course you have the added problem of being diabetic to contend with, making taking care of yourself even more important.

Seek help from your GP/counsellor/psychiatrist .. they can help you help yourself. I do hope you feel better soon. One other thing, have you had your thyroid checked? Hashimoto's disease can cause depression and tiredness too and often comes with other autoimmune diseases (such as Type 1). Ask for a check while you're at the doctors ... DO IT :) xx

Markuse

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Whenever you feel slightly depressed, understand it's a natural emotion that can be overcome.
Remember, things could always be much more worse. Spend some alone-time thinking about your past choices and understand how the current moment came to be.
For me, personally, understanding how many things I've got to be grateful over helped me to fight with it.

Do something that you enjoy if possible. Either something relaxing, like reading a book while having favorite snacks & tea, or maybe something extreme like skydiving?
Something that makes you feel aware of the moment you're living in. Something that 'brings you back'.

Good luck!

Reactions: 4 people

Adele99

I've had times when. I've been fed up or bored with life, but have been fortunate enough never to have experienced depression. However I have witnessed a family member experience it and know it can have a dreadful effect on people and their lives.

If your blood sugars are fluctuating from highs to then low, but never stable for any length of time, that would be enough to make you feel generally tired and pretty miserable all the time. Sometimes depression can make you feel you've lost of control of how your life is going and it's hard to see how you can get control back, or make any changes as everything just seems too difficult, like a catch 22.

Sometimes just achieving one thing eg control of your BS might be just that single green shoot of hope that let's you see that it is possible to make changes and might allow you to sort out other areas in your life which are depressing you. Certainly that's what happened in my brother's case.

But my brother had support from family and from GP arranged help, so think you should seek out these services and ask for help and support. Hope things improve for you.

Reactions: 4 people