Confused about testing frequency

Ruth0212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Regarding monthly cycle and blood sugars, I find I need extra insulin for two or three days before, and less insulin during my 'time of the month'. (I've been told this is very common). Hormones can have quite an effect on blood sugar.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Kazzy Lud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't need more beforehand but I need less during. At first I couldn't work out why I had y
Hypos when on.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Wow 3 times a day - that's a bold comment coming from a non diabetic - try asking them to walk in your shoes for a few days and see how they get on !

Realistically I test about 5-6 times a day, what I learn't from DAFNE is to test at the following times:

- On waking so include breakfast in this one too
- Before mealtimes (ideally 4 hours after last meal)
- Before driving a car
- At bedtime

and additionally whenever I feel a hypo coming on.

I've definately cut down from what I used to test at before doing DAFNE, but that's only because I was fixated with numbers and control, i've relaxed a little since then, in the early days I felt this was my guide and relied on it alot, but in time you learn to listen to your body more and know instinctively when running high/low.

Good luck ;)

Reactions: 2 people

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I test far more since I went on DAFNE.

I now test before breakfast, lunch, dinner and bed, before driving and they also told me to test before and after execise even if it is only an hour or so before or after a meal, and I am also testing during the night as often as I can as I am struggling with dawn phenomenon. So have gone from testing maybe 6 times a day to about 10 or 11.

I don't test after meals as I would be tempted to give more insulin and then would hypo. I did this last night by accident, forgot I had had dinner late at 8:30 - tested at 11 before bed and gave a correction dose then woke up an hour and a half later feeling dreadful on 2.1 !!! From tests I have done I think my humalog does work for 4 hours.

Reactions: 2 people

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't test after meals as I would be tempted to give more insulin and then would hypo.
You know, instead of not telling people how to correct and scaring them with tales of how dangerous correcting high BG is they could just teach us how to do it safely instead...

serendipity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles!
Liver
@ElyDave it may very well be DAFNE related as this came up during that conversation - I'm surprised they don't want post meal tests, how would you ever learn how to adjust your doses if you couldn't see what was happening? I understand the correction doses concern but making notes and learning for next time have got to be a positive.

I only saw the prescription decline last night so will have to call them on Monday - but thankyou all for giving me the confidence to do so as I was really concerned I was the only person testing like this!

I'm not sure it maybe Dafne related (having recently finished the course)
You are told to test before each meal so 3-4 times and take your Insulin straight after your meal. Before driving and 2 hours later if still driving. Occasionally a 3am test. No need for post tests unless you feel something isnt right. And last but not least if you think your going hypo.
Also we were told we need to test more frequently when we are ill.