Bloods going high between waking up and breakfast

jade88

Hi girls having a bit of a problem with my levels in the morning!
I was waking up high so increased my background insulin dose at night which seemed to help.
But now I seem to be going high in the 2 hrs between waking up and having breakfast even tho I'm not eating anything!?
Not sure why this is happening!? Anyone else experienced this? xxx

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey jade ,
I've had the same problem , are you on split doses for your background insulin ?

A lot of people told me it was Dawn Phenomenon . And a lot of people need a few units of fast rapid insulin to start the day wether they have eaten or not . Maybe this is something you need .

I am on split doses , and to solve the problem for me I moved my timing of my background around and have it earlier so I have it as soon as I wake up rather than later like I was , and on the weekdays I will have my breakfast within half an hour of this having my fast acting insulin it keeps me stable . But also on the weekend when I miss having breakfast I have been stable due to bringing my lantus forward . I'm not saying it will work for you as I know everyone is different nor am I saying what I have done is right , but it has worked for me .

Take care .
x

jade88

Hi cloe thanks for your reply! Yes I'm also on split dose but levemir not lantus.
At the moment I take 14 units at night just before I go to sleep and another 14 as soon as I wake up. I will try taking a few units of fast acting when I wake up see if that helps! xxx

Reactions: 2 people

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jade, I agree with Chloe. I find I have to have some extra insulin to cover the time if delay in eating breakfast.
Are you pregnant as this can make the dawn phenomenon much worse in some people.
Good luck figuring this all out.
Jess x

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Defiantly worth a go , to try and stop the highs as it's so annoying when you see them on your meter and can't work it out lol .

Good luck .

x

jade88

Hi jess no not pregnant yet - my last hbac1 was 7.4 so trying to get it lower before we start trying! Will let you know how I get on! xxx

Serenede

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jade88,

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm pretty sure what happens when you get up and don't eat for a couple of hours your liver will dump a load of glucose to compensate for you not eating anything and then of course your blood sugar will shoot up. If you can't eat within an hour of getting up try increasing your background but as others have said you may also need some fast acting insulin to avoid the highs.

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey jade .

How have you been getting on with your bms , hope all is well

x

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the dawn phenomenon is responsible for waking high but also continuing to rise into the morning..........

its basically a response to fasting for many hours, so unfortunately that means you need to get something in your stomach to stop the liver dump.......

I found a small yogurt was palatable early in the morning and stopped the liver dump.............you ca experiment with what suits you best.......

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I suffered dawn phenomenon throughout pregnancy. I had to set my alarm for 6.15 each morning and take Humalog, my dosage changed throughout my pregnancy. It stopped once baby came but I find I am waking up quite high again so I'll need to start it again. x x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suffered dawn phenomenon throughout pregnancy. I had to set my alarm for 6.15 each morning and take Humalog, my dosage changed throughout my pregnancy. It stopped once baby came but I find I am waking up quite high again so I'll need to start it again. x x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Are you not up reasonably early with the youngster anyway................;)

I know I am...:(