Does anyone have a Carb or Cheat Day

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just curious if anyone gives themselves a "Cheat Day" where you have something you know isn't good. According to a lot of articles in Mens Fitness / Health mag its easier to stick to a stricter diet / exercise routine if you give yourself little rewards and have something to look forward to. If you try to give up everything you like for ever you would never stick to it long term.

I will admit that I do and it does give me even more motivation to get back to the gym / diet etc the following day. For me it might be having a few beers at the football or sitting down on a Sat night to watch a movie with a big bag of Doritos and dip,,,

Just wondering if having the occasional evil is actually counter productive or can you still have the odd treats whilst making sure I still am doing everything I can to prevent Type 2 in the future.

I didn't do it to begin with but now I have lost 2 stone, back in a 32" waist and running miles and doing well in the gym I am refusing to think this odd cheat meal can be making that much a difference,, so does anyone else do it???

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a weakness where wine is concerned. I certainly don't drink every day or anything like it but every now and again I buy a couple of bottles and spend a day eating and drinking. Lotsa fun but not good for the blood.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Three times a year.. Easter, birthday.. But Christmas overload eith carbs lasts from Dec 1 to Jan 1st!!! Pump goes on to 250% the whole of my carb binges...

A

AnnieC

Yes probably once a week I will have something I love.. As you say it helps to make the diet more do able when you have something yummy to look forward to

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three times a month. Chinese food with no rice. I have noodles Instead.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Once a week - homemade meat and potato pie (steak, kidney, diced potatoes, bisto, thin shortcrust pastry top) I began by testing until I had a sensible portion, leaving out the pastry. I am now adding back some pastry a bit at a time and getting good results. Initially, when I looked at my spike graph, I knew instantly which ones were Wednesdays! Now they are normal.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Once a week - homemade meat and potato pie (steak, kidney, diced potatoes, bisto, thin shortcrust pastry top) I began by testing until I had a sensible portion, leaving out the pastry. I am now adding back some pastry a bit at a time and getting good results. Initially, when I looked at my spike graph, I knew instantly which ones were Wednesdays! Now they are normal.

I wouldn't call that a cheat Bluetit. I would call that eating to your meter, and flexing as your control allows.

On a similar basis, I would say I don't bother with cheats. My bloods are pretty good now, but I haven't bothered going back to some of the thingsI used to eat, where I'm not too bothered about it. My birthday and Christmas last year were pretty close to my diagnosis, and I didn't deviate, for fear of not being able to climb back on the wagon, if I'm honest. This year, I'll decide nearer the time.

Reactions: 5 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I don't plan one in, but I do have days where I really need something carb-y and, on those days, I'll make the most of it and maybe go out for a meal or something. It's not a daily occurence, or even weekly, so I hope it won't be detrimental. Once my BG is under much tighter control, I will happily have more carb days, but for now, my BG is still much higher than I'd like and I dread to think of the damage I'm doing whenever I eat something carb-y. @AndBreathe also stated one of my concerns, that I'll not be able to get back on the wagon once I hop off.

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
i think the treat thing comes down to what each person is comfortable with, for me i don't have carb treats, feeling so much better i won't risk it, also read if you give up smoking after a month of giving up who would say have one as a treat. I find it easier to be strict and think of peanut butter fat bombs as my treat, so plan to always stay low carb

Reactions: 5 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

It's the same for me.
'Use it or lose it' seems to be a common theme.

Moniker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is timely. I just stopped on the way home from the cottage at the chip truck. I don't do it weekly, but I probably do some moderate indulgence about once a week. I did have to share with two Labrador retrievers, so my portion was controlled.

Overall my numbers are quite good so I think learning to treat myself but not go overboard is a necessary skill. I am very aware of all the studies that suggest that people cannot maintain substantial weight loss long term, I am hoping that by working with a moderate rather than an extreme Change in my eating, I can keep the numbers good on my meter and the scale.

I do not use the term, or even accept the concept of 'cheating'. I am an adult. If I choose to eat a piece of pie or a bag of crisps, I am hurting no one, in moderation, not even myself. I will not use a label that makes me sound like a naughty child.

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had burger, onion rings and a burrito yesterday then had rice and chips was out the whole day!!:) I cheat when I'm out with people it's hard not to. Or if we were on a restaurant that doesn't serve healthy eats then it's usually a problem... I don't test my blood glucose Cos I knew i would be high. I have good blood glucose control otherwise and strict with exercise and diet. But I'm good most of the time, it's the social events that I cannot resist. :eek:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to think I cheated a lot. Naughty me. Bad B.

Then I actually started carb counting, and discovered to my VAST amusement, that an off-the-charts-hang-draw-and-quarter BAD day is actually 80-100g carbs.

So I dumped the guilt. :smug:

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am careful for nearly all meals at home but, when I go out, I'll eat what I fancy, though I will still avoid sweets, buns, biscuits, puddings etc. Very roughly, in a week, for lunch and dinner, that means 13 sensible meals at home and a pub lunch or chinese meal in a restaurant.

If I go out early and there is a mixed grill or all day breakfast is on the menu, I'll have that too but I try to avoid any fried bread or toast. All in all, it works pretty well. Chips with the mixed grills tend to be OK in places like Weatherspoons because the potato is cooked, the chips made and then frozen before they get to the restaurant. This produces resistant starch in the potato.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am careful for nearly all meals at home but, when I go out, I'll eat what I fancy, though I will still avoid sweets, buns, biscuits, puddings etc. Very roughly, in a week, for lunch and dinner, that means 13 sensible meals at home and a pub lunch or chinese meal in a restaurant.

If I go out early and there is a mixed grill or all day breakfast is on the menu, I'll have that too but I try to avoid any fried bread or toast. All in all, it works pretty well. Chips with the mixed grills tend to be OK in places like Weatherspoons because the potato is cooked, the chips made and then frozen before they get to the restaurant. This produces resistant starch in the potato.

That, @Yorksman , is a d*mn fine point!

I've been putting my non-spike after restaurant chips down to the protein I eat it with, but you are absolutely right, resistant starch is a factor too.

Obviously, I now have to go out, eat a whole portion, and test. The lengths I will go to, for science!
I'm good like that.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Yesterday I had 4 profiteroles. I eat LCHF but every now and then if I fancy something I have it. Otherwise I'd never manage, put 2lb on whilst I was at centre parcs as I drank 2-3 glasses of wine for 3 nights but have lost 4lbs this week. 13lbs to shift before I can class myself as overweight and not obese anymore!

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I had 4 profiteroles. I eat LCHF but every now and then if I fancy something I have it. Otherwise I'd never manage, put 2lb on whilst I was at centre parcs as I drank 2-3 glasses of wine for 3 nights but have lost 4lbs this week. 13lbs to shift before I can class myself as overweight and not obese anymore!
Oh @Scandichic , you know that 9 glasses of wine does NOT equal 2lb, don't you?

More likely it was a teensy bit of fluid retention and a delayed trip to the bathroom...

And you know you didn't lose 4lb this week, don't you? You probably lost that fluid retention and remembered to go to the loo before weighing...

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Oh @Scandichic , you know that 9 glasses of wine does NOT equal 2lb, don't you?

More likely it was a teensy bit of fluid retention and a delayed trip to the bathroom...

And you know you didn't lose 4lb this week, don't you? You probably lost that fluid retention and remembered to go to the loo before weighing...
Spoilsport! And there's me thinking I'd done well! :facepalm::hilarious: