Opinions on bg issues please

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I'd like opinions on this please. Recently I have had to have my bg tested a fair bit, I had to have a general anaesthetic for a procedure. I had to fast and my bg pre op was 4.3, post op (after 3 digestive biscuits and tea-refused the meal!) it was 5.2. I felt well and went home soon after. Out of curiosity I have been testing on the odd occasion, a few fours and some low fives.

But I have noticed that I have had occasions where I haven't felt well, lightheaded, face felt numb, bit shaky..I had a bad one yesterday and on testing I was again 4.3. I ate and felt a lot better, 5.2. I know we aim for lower and normal numbers and I'm delighted that mine now seem to be under really good control but I'm wondering about the possibility of hypo type symptoms at lower numbers? I take no meds now, just lower carb.

Thanks.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is the light-headedness due to any post-op meds you are taking, maybe worth checking the patient leaflet if this is the case.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suppose just achieving lower numbers than your body is used to can cause you to experience the low blood sugar symptoms........

as you stabilize you should feel normal, so its nothing to worry about in terms of your safety at least.........

well done with numbers.........

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In general B/G levels below 4.0 mmol/l (Plasma) are best avoided as this is approaching levels considered as Hypo, However we humans arn't all made the same and your feeling wobbly and light headed at levels ariund 4.3 mmol/l might well indicate that for you at least, your lower threshold level is somewhat higher than the average, where-as for another person they might go much lower without experincing any problem.
It is always best to keep your B/G (mean average level) around the 5.6-5.8 mmol/l mark as this is considered the optimum level.
If you are concerned over this then please carry with you a non-diet drink (Lucozade) or sugar toffies/sweet buiscuits as a precaution against going too low. This is important in hot weather as we can often become dehydrated, which can bring on the Hypo at short notice.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In general B/G levels below 4.0 mmol/l (Plasma) are best avoided as this is approaching levels considered as Hypo, However we humans arn't all made the same and your feeling wobbly and light headed at levels ariund 4.3 mmol/l might well indicate that for you at least, your lower threshold level is somewhat higher than the average, where-as for another person they might go much lower without experincing any problem.
It is always best to keep your B/G (mean average level) around the 5.6-5.8 mmol/l mark as this is considered the optimum level.
If you are concerned over this then please carry with you a non-diet drink (Lucozade) or sugar toffies/sweet buiscuits as a precaution against going too low. This is important in hot weather as we can often become dehydrated, which can bring on the Hypo at short notice.
Of course you would want to keep your bg normal as from somewhere like 3.8 up to just above 5. Why on earth higher? And why sugary drinks?
When on no meds at all?

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are not on meds, your numbers look fantastic.

Sure the symptoms aren't the result of recovering from the op?

Or maybe you had consistently higher blood glucose, and these levels are lower than usual? That can produce 'false hypo' symptoms. They feel very real indeed.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'd like opinions on this please. Recently I have had to have my bg tested a fair bit, I had to have a general anaesthetic for a procedure. I had to fast and my bg pre op was 4.3, post op (after 3 digestive biscuits and tea-refused the meal!) it was 5.2. I felt well and went home soon after. Out of curiosity I have been testing on the odd occasion, a few fours and some low fives.

But I have noticed that I have had occasions where I haven't felt well, lightheaded, face felt numb, bit shaky..I had a bad one yesterday and on testing I was again 4.3. I ate and felt a lot better, 5.2. I know we aim for lower and normal numbers and I'm delighted that mine now seem to be under really good control but I'm wondering about the possibility of hypo type symptoms at lower numbers? I take no meds now, just lower carb.

Thanks.

I never used to like low 4's, and had symptoms such as you describe. I've recently seen an improvement is my tolerance though, and don't seen to notice them anymore. I'm more than happy to be in the 5's having said that, and don't chase the 4's.

Reactions: 2 people