diagnosed today t2/t1.5

messy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A couple of days ago I meet an acquaintance in the local coop, who remarked on my weight loss, I don't think anything of it, weNt home and cooked dinner. Now just to let you know my father was diagnosed with t2 over ten years ago and my hubby, who's 45 has been t1for over 35 years, so I'm not new to diabetes.

Well as I sat thinking later in the evening, it all came together, the tiredness, thirst and feeling hungry. So I went and got Mike's spare meter, answer 20.4, shoes on, dogs leads found, 7 mile walk later, reading 15.4.

When to GP yesterday had long term blood test etc, been back today and yes I'm diabetic been put on metformin 1 tablet three times a day, insulin maybe needed, can't see diabetic nurse until 8th sept

Will because of my hubby's condition we have always followed a healthy low carb diet, I feel Lucky, I have a partner who understands, diabetes isn't new to me, I know it's not the end of the world, I know what to do and eat, but for someone who doesn't have that knowledge the wait until 8th Sept would have been terrible.

Reactions: 9 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Hello and welcome.
Yeah good job for your peace of mind you have some knowledge already.
You're in the right place.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. At least you have the knowledge and a meter. I haven't seen the diabetic nurse since I was diagnosed in May and don't need to go back till next January for tests. Our practice DN retired and no one has been appointed yet. Just as well the net exists for advice and support.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Messy. Yes you are right it would have been a very stressful wait. Welcome to the forum. :)

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello and Welcome to the forum, reading your post took me back to when I first found out I had it ...it put me into shock I must say...am so glad you know all about the illness as will help you no end...am sure you can teach me a few things too :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's good that you were able to get diagnosed quickly. It is bad though that you have to wait so long to see anyone.
Just a word of warning though, with a level above 14mmol/l , then it would be prudent to check for ketones before you attempt any exercise and probably not exercise at all with very high levels Exercise with ketones and a high blood glucose levels can lead to DKA. That is in fact what happened to me just before LADA (T1) diagnosis. I tried to do a bike ride and became very ill, absolutely no energy and had an altered breathing pattern.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/in-depth/diabetes-and-exercise/art-20045697

messy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wiell 2nd day starts post diagnosis, yesterday started with 10.5 reading, breakfast 2 slices of stonegrounded toast, a little walk, 9.1 before lunch, mushroom and ham omelette for lunch, 6.7 reading before dinner, streak and salad followed by raspberries and a little ice cream, a little walk, tested after 2 hours 8.2, I even had a treat of a vodka and bitter lemon.just tested my mmol 8.

Still needs working on, but I'm getting there. Taking it gently, still feeling a little weak.